Mod 7 multiple choice (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I see no reasonable basis for saying that D is wrong. Both ethanamine and oxalic acid occur naturally and both are organic compounds.

The lone pair on a N atom is basic as it makes it able to accept a proton by forming a coordinate covalent bod, just as ammonia does when it acts as a base and is transformed into the ammonium ion, its conjugate acid. Consequently, amines are weak bases.

Be aware, however, that amides are not bases.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Some might argue that oxalic acid is not organic. The exact definition of "organic" is unresolved, so in that sense (A) might be the best answer. If I were marking such a question, though, I would credit both (A) and (D)... and then go and talk with whoever set the paper and whoever checked it...

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Answer is A, but I dont really get why D is wrong, also how does the lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom in amines make it basic ? pls explain Thanks.
Poorly structured question based on the content taught in syllabus. As the syllabus states carboxylic acid containing compound (COOH) are organic acids and that amines (NH2) are organic bases. Going off that which the syllabus teaches either A or D is correct. If this is your school exam, ask the teacher their reasoning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)