Methodical Way to Study English? (1 Viewer)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
So,

I've started year 11 and I love all the subjects I've chosen. I have textbooks for all of them and can therefore work through the textbook at my own pace and understand the concepts. But I have no idea how to do this for English. Apart from writing a glossary of techniques, how does one methodically study for English, before they write practise essays and creative writing pieces?

donkily

HSC
N/A
So,

I've started year 11 and I love all the subjects I've chosen. I have textbooks for all of them and can therefore work through the textbook at my own pace and understand the concepts. But I have no idea how to do this for English. Apart from writing a glossary of techniques, how does one methodically study for English, before they write practise essays and creative writing pieces?
For a creative all you need to do is make one super good creative worth 15/15 (and ensure that it covers the whole rubric/syllabus), rote memorise that and adapt to different stimulii (remember you don't have to interpret it literally, you can interpret it metaphorically as well such as a sea representing a sea of emotions)

For an essay it is important that you practice and when I mean practice I mean write out thesis statements to certain essay questions and write essays. Also ensure that you get feedback on your essays as well and compare yours to others. Remember it is crucial that you dont memorise your essay because if they ask you something different and you havent addressed that in your essay, then you will obviously lose marks. You can memorise certain parts of an essay but not a whole essay as it is quite difficult to respond to a completely new and obscure essay questions

It is important that you formulate your essay paragraphs and other stuff from the rubric because everything the HSC will ask will be directly from the rubric

For the AOS, since there is a short answer response section, I'd recommend you practice that and look at how sample responses answer those questions

Hope this helps. Good luck

HoldingOn

HSC
So,

You just have to read scholarly articles (our school provides resources such as JSTOR) then pretty much all I do is spend about hours perfecting an essay memorise and I'm good. Creative is the same. The key is just to spend loads of time on a first draft and then give to teacher and then memorise. Comprehension should be easy 15/15.
Regarding the drafting bit I guess it depends on the quality of your teaching

Last edited:

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Oh ok great, so now all I'm left wondering is if other schools are going as slow as mine is going. I still don't know what texts we're going to read for Advanced English and I'm really confused as to what this unit 'Challenges' is. Is anyone else doing it? So far, we've just been writing the definition for challenge and listing types of challenges (physical, social etc.)... it seems so weird...

HoldingOn

HSC
Oh ok great, so now all I'm left wondering is if other schools are going as slow as mine is going. I still don't know what texts we're going to read for Advanced English and I'm really confused as to what this unit 'Challenges' is. Is anyone else doing it? So far, we've just been writing the definition for challenge and listing types of challenges (physical, social etc.)... it seems so weird...
Just try and find out what your assessment is. Class work is useless. You may as well not have a teacher at all

HSC
Pretty much echoing what others have already said here but past papers are a good idea for English. Just hammer away at them so that you become familiar with the type of questions asked. Additionally, I found 'quote repositories' to be very helpful, especially in the HSC. Although I, like a lot of people, went into the HSC with prepared essays, I also had a lot of other quotes and their effects memorised for a bit more variety and flexibility on the day; whatever works, right?

If you're worried about your school's lethargy, don't be. My school was also notoriously slow to begin, even in the HSC year. All things considered, Year 11 is pretty relaxed compared to Year 12. Simply keep in mind the end goal and how YOU want to get there. If the school is too slow, consider reading ahead and getting prepared for future topics.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)