Maths Scaling (1 Viewer)

classact

HSC
Im currently doing my 2007 HSC, and have a question on this scaling thing. In my final prelim maths exam I only got 49%, this was with studying and a tutor, and I was told that no matter what my mark is, as long as I attempt the paper it is scaled so I wont get under 50. Is this true ?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
classact said:
Im currently doing my 2007 HSC, and have a question on this scaling thing. In my final prelim maths exam I only got 49%, this was with studying and a tutor, and I was told that no matter what my mark is, as long as I attempt the paper it is scaled so I wont get under 50. Is this true ?
I know that in terms of raw exam marks 2U maths gets scaled quite well. Maths was my write off subject for the year and i only attempted about 3/4 of the paper and only around 1/2 of that at max was right and my mark was 69 lol.

Are you talking about general or 2U maths?

Even though I wasn't the brightest at maths in yr 12 in yr 11 I was consistently doing well in the subject (around 88-89 for exams and 100 in tests). So be warned that maths does get much more challenging by the end of yr 12 in comparison to yr 11.

HSC
Well i was getting an average of 68-70% internally for maths (with study and no tutor) and i ended up getting a mark of 80 overall.

So if u try a bit more and many of hte concepts will become common to u, u should be able to get a band 3-4 :)

HSC
Yes I'm pretty sure it is true that if you put pen to paper you get 50. It's made to be that way. but its not really something you want to be relying on if you are serious about your studies (which you are to some extent, from my impressions anyway)

Yeah I think I averaged around high 60s-very low 70s raw, but after scaling I was always comfortably in the 80's, well actually thats low 80s.

If it helps, a friend of mine usually either failed or just passed internally but after scaling got herself a high 60s. didnt really improve much for the exam but i think ended up with a high 60 overall still. That's not too shabby.

Two unit scaling is good, but I love three unit scaling. I think I only ever got 57% tops in an exam, failed both the trial and first assessment task and still got 70 after scaling internally (because we had marks scaled after each exam). I get to the HSC exam, attempted just over half of questions (as in left rest blank), and I dont think there was any way I could have passed in the end. Come HSC results day, 74%! Ahhhh I love scaling and how it masks mediocrity :)

Optophobia

HSC
I remember in 2 unit maths i got 43%, and the teacher (before handing me the exam) was like "you did really well! you got 2nd highest in the whole class! :D:D...", "You got 43%!!!"

I was thinking "uh... is that supposed to sound good?" and she said "don't worry its heaps good!"

but it was too much to take. Even if in failing i was actually passing, the thought of getting <50% was too much. I dropped maths.

atreus

HSC
2 unit maths scales really well. i know ppl who say they only answered about 60% of the paper and got 70 for hsc. i know that for 3 unit maths in hsc some ppl were expecting 35/50, but they got 45/50.

i think that with scaling it is easy to pass most tests.

Trizzay

HSC
not sure about the pen to paper = over 50 thing but what i do know is 2u scales pretty well and 3u scales niiice.

for 2u assessments with larger amounts of content (hy's/trials) i averaged mid 60's and my efforts to improve those marks for the HSC were at most minimal and i ended up getting 78
like watatank said though, gotta love 3u scaling.. failed trials, attempted approx under half the HSC exam and managed to get a 33/50 which ended up contributing more to my uai then 2u :D

As long as you are motivated to do well in maths and use your tutor to help you and supply past papers etc. theres no reason why you can't do well. Just don't do what I did when I got my 3u tutor - get lazy and stop working independently and classifying the time with your tutor as "maths study time", what it really should be is "learning how to complete questions I can't do time" :p My marks dropped when i got a tutor lol because maths is something you master through practice which is why it really is quite an easy subject as long as your motivated

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
oh man why did i drop to general?? lol...from the sounds of this i would have gotten more or less the same mark in 2u (or better lol!) as i ended up getting for general. i dropped 2u coz i only ever 'passed' one assessment. one. everything else was like 30% or under, lol. my marks improved once i got to general but because i naturally suck balls at maths i never got anything much over 75-80 anyway even when i studied hard :s hahaha, you know you suck when you study all week for a general maths test and get 64% :eek:

birdie323

HSC
i was averaging about 70% in school assessments, and ended up with a hsc mark of 90 (although i estimated i got about 85% raw in the exam), so i definitely wouldn't recommend dropping maths on school assessment marks alone...

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I estimated that I got 70-75% in the exam and I ended up with 82%

At school I got 55% for my trial-it was hard though. I studied alot before the hsc and did HEAPS of past papers. A tutor went through them with me.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Wow I never realised it scaled so well.
Always thought it was only , at its peak , 2-3 marks , when regarding scaling.
Does this mean 4U Maths scales even better ? :D

pink668

HSC
yep, 4u scales even better... i remember reading past threads and one person got around 50-60ish for raw mark in actual exam and this scaled her up to 90+ (band 6)... (i cant really remember actual raw mark, somewhere around there but)

for my internal assessments in 2u, my marks ranged from 85-93 and this got scaled up to a 97

sasa-o8

HSC
Woah!! I didn't know the scaling for 2U was this good! What about general then? I'm in yr 11, started with 2U maths but thinking about dropping to general. For year 10 I got between 50% - 66% each term :(

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
loll, pen to paper thing is bollocks.

person i know got mystery mark (<30) for 2u maths.
he was gettting like 10-20% though in each test so yeah.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I suspect that the scaling everyone's talking about in this thread is actually aligning - where raw marks are adjusted to correspond with the performance bands. (I don't think you actually get to see your scaled marks - those are only used to calculate UAI.)

I don't think attempting the exam will automatically get you 50>, but answering a few questions correctly probably would - because lower than 50 is Band 1, which means you haven't achieved the course outcomes, and the minimum outcomes are low enough that you can achieve them even with a pretty low raw mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)