Maths/economics teaching (2 Viewers)

Kolmias

HSC
Would it be possible to do an econ/education degree (e.g @UNSW) AND qualify as a maths teacher if you did a load of maths units?

Also, what if you did a Bachelor of Arts and Education and had maths and econ as your majors? Would this affect your employability as principals/DET would look at your resume and go 'oh, another BA grad'?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Would it be possible to do an econ/education degree (e.g @UNSW) AND qualify as a maths teacher if you did a load of maths units?

Also, what if you did a Bachelor of Arts and Education and had maths and econ as your majors? Would this affect your employability as principals/DET would look at your resume and go 'oh, another BA grad'?
they way uni structures the majors and minors I am pretty sure quite impossible to do it in the valid timeframe (4yrs) tho possible if u do stay another semester or two. Or you could do econ degree then education/math masters

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Well, by the time you become a teacher, rules may have changed, so you can't know for sure.
Based on the majority of teachers I've had, you don't need to have necessarily done something at uni to teach it. I've had some PDHPE teachers as my permanent teachers for maths all the way from year 7 and I knew some that even taught prelim 2U. For higher levels of maths, I'd say you need a bridging course just as a matter of learning the content - Idk if it'd be a prerequisite. Currently, my Legal Studies teacher has never studied Legal and had to start teaching it because the real one went on stress leave, and she just learnt it with textbooks. SO yeah, you can become a maths teacher but I would recommend to try and do some bridging courses at least. You could also do in your double degree Econ and then Education major in maths, which I think would ensure being able to teach maths, but Idk for sure.

Where's your careers adviser?

Kolmias

HSC
I thought your major in educatipn had to be related to your other degree tho?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)