Math Advanced Prediction/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

President KK

HSC
It should be noted that 2013 was probably the same difficulty as today's exam. From a quick look at the questions with my old-syllabus hat on, it honestly seemed to be a difficult paper, back in 2013. I think we can expect very similar scaling as you said.

But we really shouldn't speculate over this kind of stuff - we represent a very minute portion of the state who completed the exam and do not know how everyone felt (but what from what I gauge, people weren't too happy).
how would a 53-60 scale ???

uart

HSC
N/A
I always love a controversial one, so I was interested to look at their rounding (to nearest minute) in Q27c. They did as I would have, and rounded 57.14 minutes to 57 minutes. The Matrix solutions however rounded up to the nearest minute, 58 minutes, so as to ensure the rounded solution meet or exceeded the minimum energy requirement.

As time is not an inherently discrete variable, I interpreted the rounding as simply avoiding unnecessary apparent precision in a real world problem with inherently approximate modeling. Matrix however have interpreted the time in minutes as a discrete variable, and looked at the minimum value of that discrete variable needed to satisfy the condition.

Interesting situation, I wonder if both answers (57 and 58) will be accepted?

Last edited:

Greninja340

HSC
I always love a controversial one, so I was interested to look at their rounding (to nearest minute) in Q27c. They did as I would have, and rounded 57.14 minutes to 57 minutes. The Matrix solutions however rounded up to the nearest minute, 58 minutes, so as to ensure the rounded solution meet or exceeded the minimum energy requirement.

As time is not an inherently discrete variable, I interpreted the rounding as simply avoiding unnecessary apparent precision in a real world problem with inherently approximate modeling. Matrix however have interpreted the time in minutes as a discrete variable, and looked at the minimum value of that discrete variable needed to satisfy the condition.

Interesting situation, I wonder if both answers (57 and 58) will be accepted?
yeh i did 57 as well, but I feel like it might be 58 as at 57 minutes it wouldnt be possible to do the call whilst at 58 minutes it will, so it is the smallest whole minute at which such a call could take place

Jojofelyx

HSC
That's exceptional for a raw mark for any subject ... I would be surprised if that doesn't align to 100
For a math advanced?? Nah no way a raw 93-94 goes to 100. That much in x2 wouldnt go to a 100. But something around 97-98 seems a bit more appropriate. Historically, adv, x1 and x2, maths have all required 97-100 raw to get 100, it just is a subject where a fair few people have been able to do quite well in. There would have to be a significant change in difficulty for 93-94 to go to a 100 in math advanced. Idk, just my opinion tho.

icycledough

HSC
For a math advanced?? Nah no way a raw 93-94 goes to 100. That much in x2 wouldnt go to a 100. But something around 97-98 seems a bit more appropriate. Historically, adv, x1 and x2, maths have all required 97-100 raw to get 100, it just is a subject where a fair few people have been able to do quite well in. There would have to be a significant change in difficulty for 93-94 to go to a 100 in math advanced. Idk, just my opinion tho.
That makes sense actually for Advanced and Extension 1, but I would think it may be a bit lower for Extension 2 (maybe 95+, as it is an incredible feat and very difficult to get a raw mark this high). But if you ae citing it from data, then that makes sense.

Jojofelyx

HSC
That makes sense actually for Advanced and Extension 1, but I would think it may be a bit lower for Extension 2 (maybe 95+, as it is an incredible feat and very difficult to get a raw mark this high). But if you ae citing it from data, then that makes sense.
extension 2 has also tended to be around 98 even for the previous syllabus. I've got a tutor who knows she got over 96 in x2 raw, but got an hsc mark of 99.

StudyerIA

HSC
Does anyone know what happens if you accelerated math last year and say you got 87 raw is the hsc marked calculated against last year's or this year's cohort?

hiiitsme

HSC
Does anyone know what happens if you accelerated math last year and say you got 87 raw is the hsc marked calculated against last year's or this year's cohort?
Last years because it was a different exam therefore it was reflective of your abilities proportional to a cohort assessed with such difficulty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)