Logic Puzzles Marathon (1 Viewer)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I'm surprised there wasn't one already. Rules as per other marathons, this one is for those problems that are more logical than mathematical.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Isn't it just one?

Question: The king has ordered 1,000,000 bottles of wine, but has been told that exactly one is poisoned. To figure out which one is poisoned, he is given access to mice.

He can give any bottle he wants to any mouse, and can do it more than once (so a mouse can have more than one bottle, and one bottle may be shared as much as he wants).

Given that he must give the mice the allocated wine simultaneously, was is the least amount of mice needed to determine the poisoned bottle?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Isn't it just one?

Question: The king has ordered 1,000,000 bottles of wine, but has been told that exactly one is poisoned. To figure out which one is poisoned, he is given access to mice.

He can give any bottle he wants to any mouse, and can do it more than once (so a mouse can have more than one bottle, and one bottle may be shared as much as he wants).

Given that he must give the mice the allocated wine simultaneously, was is the least amount of mice needed to determine the poisoned bottle?

s-f

HSC
N/A
Is the answer: 20??
Wow, is it really possible to do that with only 20 mice?
Somehow I need ridiculously large number of mice if I can't do a staged operation... namely 500,000.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
This isn't a logic puzzle per se, but a puzzle nonetheless. I'm currently working on writing a BoS puzzle hunt thing, so this will be a good warm up :p

Code:
O' woe is me,
Two terms combined,
Those yews are ours,
Beginning and end, intertwined.

Begging for amnesty,
They flow,
In a sea of decay,
But Never giving up Hope,
In what remains.

Code:
DUVCOPLOZUM

*Note, only the text in code tags is relevant to the solving of the puzzle.

Hints: (Read at own risk!)

You heard the monologue before you read it.

The King is quite certainly the opposite of a nihilist.

In the midst of his crying, you're almost certain the King whispered something, but you didn't quite catch what it was he said. It sounded a little like "Subway steel tuition"? Hmm...

Last edited:

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
If no one gets it by tomorrow afternoon-ish I'll post another hint I have posted another hint ;) Feel free to post partial solutions and I can tell you if you're on the right track

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
the code is a phrase or something

two terms combined --> its made up of two words
those "u's" are ours --> the u's represent 'ours'
in a 'c' of decay --> not sure what this means, probs relevant
Never and Hope are capitalised, possibly names?
O' woe is me is from Hamlet, but it's meant to be Oh
I think the O refers to the letter O in the code, but I can't decipher how the rest of the line is relevant

edit: more thoughts
de-cay, dk
beginning and end intertwined, one word begins like the other ends?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)