Locusts... (1 Viewer)

spackness

HSC
how dumb was this question did anyone get the first question about that crap with the estimating the size of the infested area... i didnt know what to put, someone suggested to me capture recapture...but is that really approapriate for locusts seeing as they reproduce so quickly, also the next part of the question i also want so sure about...there goes my 80+ UAI...gr8

*ccs*

spackness said:
how dumb was this question did anyone get the first question about that crap with the estimating the size of the infested area... i didnt know what to put, someone suggested to me capture recapture...but is that really approapriate for locusts seeing as they reproduce so quickly, also the next part of the question i also want so sure about...there goes my 80+ UAI...gr8
think positive :) u will still get it...though i do agree with how dum that question was...i rote for a. about some sampling a quadrat lol i had no idea what was going on.....stoooopid locusts..i hate them haha

always_smile

HSC
My teacher said that you could have written anything like surveying people who live in the area, doing a transect, a quadrant, interviewing people
I agree the question was dumb.
How much was it worth anyway. 1 mark?????
You probably did fine

Kyroth***

HSC
Was that in the syllabus? I know it was for yr11 (cos we did a fun capture-recapture prac!) but I don't think so for yr12...
Anyway, I agree about the stupidity. I wrote some shit about ploting known areas on a map to see how widespread it is...

bluebaby

HSC
N/A
huh -_- my answer is a epidmiology study! wats with the capture, recapture LOL

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I would ave put down quadrant. Due to the population size, capture-recapture would be a long process.

bob_the_penguin

yeah it was a bit strange for a bio question. i do earth so ive done quite a bit on biological control in that so that helped me alot with that question

*ccs*

bscienceboi said:
I would ave put down quadrant. Due to the population size, capture-recapture would be a long process.
coooool this gives me hope lol thanx :p

falltopieces

HSC
Yeah I guess quadrant and capture recapture should be fine.

But I think capture-recapture is more accurate even though it's a slow process

Kirika

HSC
actually what they do is see how much crops have been destroyed and go off that. then they search the land for locust eggs, then get a helicopter and look for the bugs in the air. i only know this coz i live on a farm and we get a plague of the damn things pretty much every year. but didnt it ask you to answer it re the info they gave you?? wouldnt that suggest that u check the crops? meh, i dunno.

i_like_black

HSC
yeah that was a bit of a scabby question. capture-marking-recapture was the only name i could think of, but thought it would be inappropriate seeing they're grasshoppers, how the hell do u mark them etc...? yeah so i described the quadrat, transect thing but i forgot that it was called that, anyway, may get half a mark, if they award half marks...

danieljarvis

HSC
i wrote something about sampling numbers during winter, cos the question said they were active autumn - spring or something. cos non active = easy to catch haha, im so wrong arent i.

elisabeth

HSC
Hmm, I put something about arial photographs... coz I don't see how it would be practical to capture and recapture such tiny insects... but then again, I'm a city slicker and know nothing about locusts. I dunno even if you can see locust infected crops in arial photos. Anyone know the right answer?

danieljarvis

HSC
everybody has a different idea on this question, there isnt a single followable idea on correct answers...

so in my opinion = fucken stupid question :)

cataleptic

HSC
bluebaby said:
Yeah I put that as well. Like locating the geogrpahical position of swarms then plotting them on a map. That's part of epidemiology. A facet of it. Coz like you had to see how spread the swarms were or something.

I considered capture recapture but that would estimate the SIZE not the distrubution.

orchid_violet

HSC
bluebaby said:
I know ay, this is year 12, not year 11... an epidemiological study would be appropriate as information on its occurence, reproduction rate etc can be gained... descriptive..! quadrant and capture recapture on locusts and grasshoppers? yer, I'm sure ... thats like saying "pigs can fly"

orchid_violet

HSC
danieljarvis said:
epidemiological studies need to investigate the cause and effects of a DISEASE. :)
an infestation can be considered a disease,, doesn't have to harm animals, it harms plants (thats why pesticides were developed for it), infestations are considered a disease for eg. tapeworm causes a tapeworm infestation (that is the name of the disease they cause)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)