Lockdown extension (1 Viewer)

satvik_1008

HSC
I think this is starting to turn out to be our version of the Melbourne second wave this time last year, so should probably look at how things turned out back then as a reference point.
I think what happened in the British first wave is also something that is to be compared to, because here COVIDdue to the virulency of the delta strain has essentially got out of control

Im really worried that something similar to what happened to the A-Levels in the UK last yera would happen

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
How long do you think the lockdown will last? and what do you think will happen to our trials and hsc exams?
It would be very unusual if the downward trajectory was faster than the upward trajectory (especially in the absence of vaccinations). It took us a month to get to this “peak” (if it really is at that point) so it would take at least that long to get out of it. Given the transmissions are now occurring in settings which can’t really be shut down, then it could be even longer than that. As a benchmark, it took Melbourne about 1.5 months to get from 100+ cases to single digits during its downward trajectory.

I reckon they should’ve delayed the HSC exams by a month (which I think they did for the VCE last year), not a week. As for the trials, that’s a tricky one to predict because each school is different and will make their own decisions about what to do about it.

satvik_1008

HSC
I reckon they should’ve delayed the HSC exams by a month (which I think they did for the VCE last year), not a week. As for the trials, that’s a tricky one to predict because each school is different and will make their own decisions about what to do about it.
I agree, honestly instead of just delaying it by a week, they should have moved HSC exams to early-mid November like they did with VCE (which had a 2 week delay) and delay out giving out ATAR's

I expect personally such high levels of case numbers to continue, if not rise in the next two weeks, andhonestly to continue on unless the government brings in even more strict lockdown measures (akin to the effective self isolation everyone was in in Chile, Spain and Wuhan in the first wave of the pandemic)

HSC
Gotta say I really don't mind being in Y10 rn lol. Good luck to y'all and hope that the powers to be make sensible and helpful decisions. Keep studying and try not to worry too much about trials :)

Gloucestershire

HSC
N/A
It would be very unusual if the downward trajectory was faster than the upward trajectory (especially in the absence of vaccinations). It took us a month to get to this “peak” (if it really is at that point) so it would take at least that long to get out of it. Given the transmissions are now occurring in settings which can’t really be shut down, then it could be even longer than that. As a benchmark, it took Melbourne about 1.5 months to get from 100+ cases to single digits during its downward trajectory.

Trajectory to the peak is affected by the gradual stepping of lockdown restrictions. If the virus is controlled by further restrictions, the decrease could be exponential, and faster or slower than Melbourne, and faster or slower than the upward trajectory. Sydney is facing an entirely new variant of virus compared to Melbourne, that is on average twice as infectious. Sydney also introduced restrictions earlier than Melbourne last year and has, so far, a lower caseload. So making comparisons with degree of accuracy is hard.

If the virus is currently on the increase, as appears so, and no further restrictions are applied, then only vaccines are capable of saving us. This will likely take at least several months. But if the appetite for restrictions is greater, we may get out of this quicker.

I don't think there is an easy way to approach this question of when the virus will be controlled - except take it week by week going forward. So I see the decisions made as a consequence of that.

cloud_berry

HSC
my exams are set for weeks 5-6 but no idea how that’s actually gonna happen at this point..

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Bear in mind with trials that there are many schools who aren't able to decide for themselves as they have bought trial papers and will be stuck with whatever changes in the embargoes are made by the copyright holders. All schools using CSSA will move together, for example..

mikrokosmos

HSC
well this just in from SMH:

"SW Premier Gladys Berejiklian will announce a four-week extension of the lockdown tomorrow.

There will be concessions to allow construction to resume from Saturday in non-hotspot areas and rapid antigen testing of year 12 students to allow them to return to school.

There are no plans for a return to face-to-face learning for school students in other years."

im so stuffed pls i have trials in five days in that case :(

HSC
Yoooo I was just literally a couple of hrs ago chatting to my brother saying I reckon they'll do some kind of measures such as required testing for Y12 to allow them to go to school.

Good luck all who as a result are likely to have trials soon & hope that your return to school is helpful

DarkOperator618

HSC
well this just in from SMH:

"SW Premier Gladys Berejiklian will announce a four-week extension of the lockdown tomorrow.

There will be concessions to allow construction to resume from Saturday in non-hotspot areas and rapid antigen testing of year 12 students to allow them to return to school.

There are no plans for a return to face-to-face learning for school students in other years."

im so stuffed pls i have trials in five days in that case :(
oh mate i feel soo bad for you
you can only grind it out from here

mikrokosmos

HSC
oh mate i feel soo bad for you
you can only grind it out from here
i'm literally going to cry LMAOO
my first week has the englishes and economics and maths (the latter two are my worst) so hopefully i can just cram for those, but due to my anxiety and muscle tension my arms and fingers are having sharp pains and it's so so hard to write. and i cant even go chiro bc of covid :( idk how im going to write literally 2 short answer exams, and six essays ish in three days idk if i should get a provision or whatever ugh. this is literally my last chance to increase my grades and im literally going to die next week. also i'll be celebrating my bday by trial studying <3

HSC
Summary of what Gladys has said this morning for you guys:

- Y12 face to face learning recommences on Monday 16th August
- If you live in the 8 LGAs of hotspot; then vaccinations will be occuring with Pfizer for you (seemingly before return to school but that is unclear)
- Antigen testing has not been addressed "will be used on school campuses when Y12 goes back" "some level of [rapid antigen testing]"

My interpretation is that all schools will be going back and you can leave your LGA if you go to a school outside of your LGA, including if you are in a hotspot LGA.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
16-18 year olds in impacted LGA's will be eligible and priotised for pfizer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)