Leunig Cartoon Analysis (1 Viewer)

J-Russ

HSC
I can't find them either. I am using a Leunig cartoon however there are no titles for them!

I am just going to state it as untitled if i cannot find the proper title!

xx

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I did a leunig cartoon for my imaginative journeys essay and it had no title as well. The head of english at our school who had previously marked HSC papers told me that not having titles is fine as long as you say - e.g. "Michael Leunig's cartoon explores..." :) Once you briefly describe the cartoon and are able to link it with your other texts, the title shouldnt really matter.

astrolio

Shifty Member
HSC
that leuing cartoon analysis is dreadfully close to the intrepretation of "the lost thing by Sean Tan" ITs the main bit where the unknown monster finds home. it shows how his life is dull and how his monster finds its home. he comes to realisations and such. its worth a good read and an awesum related text. give it a try ;)

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
Re: IMAGINATIVE TEXT please help quickly

Bobness said:
Remember to try to search for the more metaphoric meanings in the text rather than superficial analysis at face value. Mix and match, that works well!

And always structure your analysis in the form of techniques, effect and its link back to your thesis.

i.e. "The dark grey colours which define the path of 'the life you lead' impart a sense of stagnancy and blandness to the text, effectively communicating how the well-trodden path is safe yet dull. This is counterpointed by the lighter hues which guide the way to 'the life you could have lead' with its positive connotations of adventure and hope in the processes of speculation. The monochromatic graphic outlines how imaginative journeying and its possibilites can be made available to all. This is represented in the figure of the solitary man centred in the image, highlighting the significance of individual decisions in deciding the paths we carve for ourselves in this world and through life.

In contrast, the long shadows which follow the man in Leunig's comic symbolise the burden we may carry when we reject the imaginative possibilities in our life journey. The pensieve look on the character's face suggests that in hindsight, walking 'the road not taken' may have been a wiser decision than following the traditional course in journeys. This sense of regret is visually represented by the juxtaposition of dark and light areas in the comic, emphasising how the continuous process of journeying can allow us to more effectively respond to the human condition, both the positive and negative ramifications."

In my extempore analysis there i have used two different 'theses' for the two different paragraphs. As you can see, it's very subtle and it is this understated way of presenting your view of journeys (as opposed to crudely stating at the end of each paragraph "therefore this shows that the journey is more important than the arrival") which will give your essay that little ounce of flair!
You are my hero <3

HSC
hey guys, im doing a Michael Luenig cartoon as well for one of my journey texts, i was wondering if anyone could give me 2 techniques used in this cartoon that i could use for my assignment.. if anyone could do so it would be highly appreciated . cheers.

goosen

HSC
Does any1 know how I could relate this too a Cleridge poem?

:bomb:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
goosen said:
Does any1 know how I could relate this too a Cleridge poem?

:bomb:
You don't always have to relate - Compare & contrast.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
m0ofin said:
I bet Bobness' superb analysis had something to do with it.
Just for that you get a sticker :eek:

Goosen: in terms of relating it to a coleridge poem, you could probably focus on the antithetical opposition of light and dark in the cartoon and the original, reductive viewpoint of the speaker transitioning into a more expansive worldview in Lime Tree or Rime.

lozza142

HSC
Does anyone know the date of publication for the cartoon "the life you lead"??

or how it relates to OGS??

x

freckled fletch

HSC
a-m-e-e-e said:
I really like this cartoon and want to use it, but am not sure which Coleridge poem/s it relates to best....
any ideas, anyone??
a-m-e-e-e
it can relate best to 'frost at midnight' BECAUSE ... he thinks back to his childhood days and how his life has been led ... then he contracts back to the present then expands again to his child's future and hopes him to take a different path.

alike Leunig how looks back on the path he has lead then sees where he could of taken it and (coleridge) dreams of the other path for his son.

hope that helps

Russianrambo

HSC
I reckon the lime tree bower my prison poem by coleridge would relate well to the image...

Baggles

HSC
Russianrambo said:
I reckon the lime tree bower my prison poem by coleridge would relate well to the image...
Yeah, i agree with you.

You could compare the cartoon figure and Coleridge himself (since his talking about a personal experience) since they both feel that they could be doing bigger and better things, yet the control to change the situation is out of their hands and gives them a sense of dispair.

I hate english.

kriis

HSC
lozza142 said:
Does anyone know the date of publication for the cartoon "the life you lead"??

or how it relates to OGS??

x
imo it may relate to on giants shoulders through marie currie, how she chose to travel to paris to study and further persue her education, theoretically taking the path she life she could have led instead of staying in poland??

i dont think that makes sense :(
bleh

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Another text which questions the changing of values though an imaginative journey is the Micheal Leunig cartoon "The Life You Lead"....................................<formualte statement related to essay qeustion>.................Published in 1985, Leunigs cartoon deals with imaginiative journey in an adept manner. The text shows how an individual can be brought into the phenomenon through speculation.

The cartoon depicts a small man walking down a darked pathway labeled "The life you lead" - the man is also nearby an illuminated, perpindicular pathway labeled "The life you could have led". By creating the work in this way, Leunig makes use of simplicity to illustrate the more complex themes of journey. This parallels "Winnie-the-Pooh...(2nd supp. text) both in depth, and in the use of the speculative imaginiate journey.

The dichotomy that is created achieves multiple purposes. It firstly demonstrates the disparity between one's life and the life one could have had, through the conrast in the dark and light pathways. Secondly, both the subject within the text, and the reader are forced to speculate upon what life they "could have lead", and thus embark upon an imaginative journey of their own.

This is the context, abstract and analysis for my 3rd supp. text in my A.O.S. paper (tomorrow). Will of course only use it if there is time left (unlikely.. lol). Nonetheless its a REALLY good text for imaginative and inner journey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)