LAW IN UNIVERSITY (1 Viewer)

mikrokosmos

HSC
hi !! i’m interested in studying law - preferably at UNSW next year. doesn’t have to be specific to any uni but in general - what are sort of the benefits and cons of studying law? all i hear people say is that graduates don’t get proper jobs for like ten years postgrad (like they just “file paper”) ?? like is this true ? i’m not sure if i wanna go straight into like barrister, i’d rather go more broadly !

thank you for reading <3 i appreciate any advice or tips regardless of size !

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The main benefits I can think of when it comes to studying law are:

- Offering stable income
- Improving your critical thinking, strong reasoning and analytical skills.
- Respect and prestige (depends on how much this matters to you).

Some disadvantages of studying law:

- Working for long hours
- Competition for jobs
- Can put quite a bit of pressure (but most jobs today put pressure on us anyway).

all i hear people say is that graduates don’t get proper jobs for like ten years postgrad (like they just “file paper”) ?? like is this true ?
I think while this is true, it may be exaggerated. I have a friend doing a double degree who currently works at the Department of Justice NSW and recently got a promotion, so he's working his way up as an undergraduate student.

idkkdi

HSC
hi !! i’m interested in studying law - preferably at UNSW next year. doesn’t have to be specific to any uni but in general - what are sort of the benefits and cons of studying law? all i hear people say is that graduates don’t get proper jobs for like ten years postgrad (like they just “file paper”) ?? like is this true ? i’m not sure if i wanna go straight into like barrister, i’d rather go more broadly !

Gonna take like 10 yrs to become a barrister m8.

actually nvm. Fastest method is less time lol.

Last edited:

Pink Guy

HSC

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad

Honestly, my main advice for you is, if that's what you want to get into then go for it especially since you said you would rather go more broadly. I'm currently at UNSW studying law and I haven't heard this within the environment itself (although it is slightly true), a study found 76% of UNSW undergraduates find full-time employment with four months of graduating – ahead of the national average of 69% - it's very similar with other professions as well, that's just how it is because it works with supply and demand - so if that's your goal, just go for it! Also, you'll have to be a lawyer first and do the BAR exam, pass it and then you can be a barrister so that would take a couple of years minimum.

You'll also be really surprised about the number of students who are studying law but don't want to get into law entirely, that's a major benefit of the degree. My lecturer asked a couple of weeks ago who doesn't want to get into law, and half the class raised their hands. So you can imagine the benefit it gives; it provides you skills and knowledge you can implement into other fields as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)