Laptop suggestions (1 Viewer)

F2001

HSC
Need a new laptop.

Looking for good battery life.
Low heat
Something thin (but don't want to shell out for a Mac)
Max 10" screen. I've seen some 7 or 8" ones and they seem ok too.
It will mainly be used for word/excel/access/web browsing.

Does wireless signal strength also depend on the laptop as well as router?
I'll be working with it a lot in the garage/downstairs so anything that can boost a signal [on the laptop's] end would be great.

Also anyone see a good/cheap 3+ KVM port with USB & DVI?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
F2001 said:
Need a new laptop.

Looking for good battery life.
Low heat
Something thin (but don't want to shell out for a Mac)
Max 10" screen. I've seen some 7 or 8" ones and they seem ok too.
It will mainly be used for word/excel/access/web browsing.

Does wireless signal strength also depend on the laptop as well as router?
I'll be working with it a lot in the garage/downstairs so anything that can boost a signal [on the laptop's] end would be great.

Also anyone see a good/cheap 3+ KVM port with USB & DVI?
MSI Wind

adnan91

HSC
On this subject. I am also going to buy a new labtop soon for uni. I cant choose whether i should buy a macbook or otherwise dells or somthing. I do want it to be able to play proper games and word/excel with wireless ofcourse and fast proccesor and ram. Plus im not looking for it to cost 2000+

Any suggestions? thanks

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
electrolysis said:
I highly recommend the HP 2133 Mini-Note PC
the best mini laptop on the market now
click the link for more details: http://h40059.www4.hp.com/hp2133/
Um, no, it's not. The VIA processor is a piece of shit compared to Intel's Atom technology, and it's also more expensive than other models running Atom processors.

inter108

HSC
My Hp dv5000

is pretty handy but it does not cover the cost which is $3000.

So i recommend choosing a laptop that gives good value for money.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
adnan91 said:
On this subject. I am also going to buy a new labtop soon for uni. I cant choose whether i should buy a macbook or otherwise dells or somthing. I do want it to be able to play proper games and word/excel with wireless ofcourse and fast proccesor and ram. Plus im not looking for it to cost 2000+

Any suggestions? thanks
You won't get a Macbook for under $2000 unless you go the old, slow plastic models.

If you're ordering a Dell, do it through the Education Store http://www.dell.com.au/epp or wait for Lenovo to put Thinkpads on sale again.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
inter108 said:
My Hp dv5000

is pretty handy but it does not cover the cost which is $3000.

So i recommend choosing a laptop that gives good value for money.
What? You'd have to go pretty far out of your way to find a 15" HP for more than $2500.

inter108

HSC
withoutaface said:
What? You'd have to go pretty far out of your way to find a 15" HP for more than $2500.
LOL when i bought the Hp it was the leading laptop in the range.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
How is it? I'm thinking of either getting that or the MSI Wind for more portability and productivity next year (having the ability to play games on the go = fail)

HSC
AsyLum said:
How is it? I'm thinking of either getting that or the MSI Wind for more portability and productivity next year (having the ability to play games on the go = fail)
I would highly recommend the MSI wind with a 6-cell battery

I have the 3-cell getting 6 soon hopefully

it is such a good little laptop

mine was $487 btw

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
AsyLum said:
i love my 1000h
that said the msi wind has about 10-30mins more on battery under real life test (i get about 5 hrs on super stingy settings and.. umm 4.2 if i max out the CPU)

im not complaining :) i just like the trackpad on the asus better... i got the 10' 1.6ghz 1000H with 80GB HDD for just under $540... price match and 5% off... i cant find it for less than $588 now :) cos of the AUD weakness and it was white ... upped the ram to 2gb.. and slapped the 1gb it came with into another laptop

im running a dual boot winxp pro and ubuntu 8.10.. plays starcraft pretty nicely..
http://www.liliputing.com/ has lot of information

ummm the boot time isnt great.. ill be honest compared to my P4 and Core duo E8XXX series its enough .. under 1 min.. not optimised..

for convinence i remade the eeepc restore disk to boot a winxp pro w/drivers.

MSI wind can run osx86 with sound being a minor issue..full support one day.. with 1000H its a major issue.. unless u use the bluetooth stereo headset..

keep an eye on acer too.. high volume.. but im not convinced about the aspire one yet... and with new 3G support available on future asus and msi ..might be a clincher.. shop around..

Guide:
http://www.liliputing.com/2008/10/msi-wind-vs-asus-eee-pc-1000h-the-nitpickers-guide.html

PS sound on this thing is wicked..;)

Last edited:
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
i love my 1000h
that said the msi wind has about 10-30mins more on battery under real life test (i get about 5 hrs on super stingy settings and.. umm 4.2 if i max out the CPU)

im not complaining :) i just like the trackpad on the asus better... i got the 10' 1.6ghz 1000H with 80GB HDD for just under $540... price match and 5% off... i cant find it for less than $588 now :) cos of the AUD weakness and it was white ... upped the ram to 2gb.. and slapped the 1gb it came with into another laptop

im running a dual boot winxp pro and ubuntu 8.10.. plays starcraft pretty nicely..

ummm the boot time isnt great.. ill be honest compared to my P4 and Core duo E8XXX series its enough .. under 1 min.. not optimised..

MSI wind can run osx86 with sound being a minor issue..full support one day.. with 1000H its a major issue.. unless u use the bluetooth stereo headset..

keep an eye on acer too.. high volume.. but im not convinced about the aspire one yet... and with new 3G support available on future asus and msi ..might be a clincher.. shop around..

Guide:
http://www.liliputing.com/2008/10/msi-wind-vs-asus-eee-pc-1000h-the-nitpickers-guide.html

tbh when i got my wind i hated the track pad until i found a different driver for it that disabled tap to click.

I have heard some people say the track pad is too small, i dont think so one stroke from one end to the other takes you right across the screen

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
im still getting use to the 1000h multi touch trackpad :(
3 fingers for right click

trackpad is huge on the 1000h but the prooff is using it urself :)

HSC
yeah the U90 and U100 has the same keyboard and trackpad.
I don't think it is huge but it is a good size, i don't like the single bar two button thing though

I have the U90

I would highly recommend it

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
i love my 1000h

Guide:

Hmm, anything over an hour is an improvement on my Toshiba haha.

Hmm, don't really care for the multimedia features, kind need it for conferences/doing presentations and what have you, when packing/unpacking the big toshiba just becomes too annoying at times.

I might have a look at things this week, hopefully xmas brings around some specials.

Thanks!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah my old acer had that problem............ its a desktop replacement for upstairs..

i installed OSx86 (think mac for non-apple PCs) and its kinda nice.. i got to admit this thing lasts me through my 3 hrs of lecture blocks with <1 recharge.. and then if its more.. i just move to the powerpoint or charge it..

runs 2-3 windows very smoothly on the lowest CPU settting for max power.. ~990mhz and 800 on the MSI.. just make sure the software ur using isnt too bulky.. like Photoshop CS2 works ok.. but i just use GIMP cos i rarely need it.. and like 2003 office runs fast... or openoffice 3 ... havent tried 2007 cos.. well tat office version... is too different for me ...

umm in ure honours yr.. recommend u use ure Endnotes on it.. i got my license thru my uni.. its very useful.. or refworks..but i dun use that.. endnotes X2 runs fast on my 1000H

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
yeah the U90 and U100 has the same keyboard and trackpad.
I don't think it is huge but it is a good size, i don't like the single bar two button thing though

I have the U90

I would highly recommend it
yeah on the 1000H its 2 separate buttons...on my 701 it was a single bar ... the multitouch pad is like the mac books..

i think the net books need to suit the user.. cos the asus 1000H is like 2-3 cm longer.. but its a matter of what you like.. i think its the best of all the ones i played with at officeworks :D techworks.. lol...best thing is just to rock up to harvey norman and play with them and see what you like..

still dun get one thing tho.. why the ASUS came with staroffice and M$ works?.. who the hell uses M$ works..?

P.S i think one of the problems is that im kinda old.. and its hard to like learn to use new things.. like small keyboards, diff mouse configs.. and im a guy.. i carry a pouch bag thingy to uni.. and it fits with room to spare

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)