King Lear and redemption (1 Viewer)

Sammy88

HSC
HELP Pleeeese!
I've got a assessment and the focus question is "Does the ending of shakespeare King Lear reflect the religious views of redemption. I'don't know how to get into it. I wanted to look at different points of views over the centuries then arrive at a my own conclusion. The thing is i don't know where to find valid opioions. Any suggestions anyone....

nit

HSC
Ok, in terms of different viewpoints, the major ones are Eyre(1998 BBC), Brook 1970 i think, Kosintsev (1971 or 1970). The modern context has shaped those filmic interpretations. They are easiest to obtain, and to watch. There are obviously essays to get into apart from that, and AC Bradley's is as good as any to get into as well as Mcluskie's feminist interpretation etc. The list goes on. In terms of the course, I'd say that productions would be most useful, because there's a fairly high chance you'll have to talk about things like staging, lighting, costuming and all that.
In terms of the final scene, I guess the most relevant would be Brook's version. His Nihilism is overpowering (you can look at Kott's essay Lear or Endgame for this as well) and that colours the way he presents the final scene without a redemption for Lear - well, it isn't acknowledged in any case. For this question, however, Bradley's essay will be very helpful, as it deals with the idea of Lear as the redemptive hero, (as usual, romanticized by Bradley to the point where Lear becomes real) and that is what you want. Apart from that, I'd say read the final scene (preferably all of Act V) and come to your own conclusion. There's a fair bit of imagery and other language devices that should help you. And, after all, the english advanced course is all about technique.
(Yay! No more Lear for me :rolleyes: )

Sammy88

HSC
Hey Nit
Thanks heaps for the direction. I was getting really lost and i didn't know where to start. Your so lucky that its all over, it's just begun for me :( Good luck with the with the UAI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)