Keep Economics of switch to Biology (1 Viewer)

DaisyMeRolling

HSC
Basically I am torn whether I should keep economics or switch to biology. it’s already week 6 into the term so I don’t have much time to switch if I want to. Basically I find that I’m more of STEM kid than Humanities kid, but there’s the many cons of Bio. I’m currently studying economics, chem, physics, visual arts, 3u maths and 2u eng. I can only switch my economics class since those two run at the same time. I also plan to study Engineering in Uni but I might to do BioMed or switch of Medicine. I plan to have this as my bludge subject ( a subject I’m dropping next year) but who knows what happens in Year 11 and I really hate chemistry or Visual arts.

Economics:
Pros:
- I’m already studying it so I won’t be behind on content.
- I guess it’ll be good to study a different subject to broaden my option and try something new.
- My sister got 1st in Economics and can help me.
- I have a really, really good teacher and a good class.
- I don’t despise the course.

Cons:
- Business/ economics never interested me and it’s kind of a blur subject, didn’t hate it, didn’t like it.
- There’s kind of no reason for me to study it, since I won’t be studying it in Uni/ as a career.
- Content can get heavy and there’s a lot of stats supposedly.
- Worried I might hate the course since I never really enjoyed it.

Biology:
Pros:
- BIG PRO: it’s actually assumed knowledge in many courses in university and if I am slightly interested in biomed or medicine then it’s important to keep the subject.
- I am already studying the 2 other sciences so it’ll help with bio a bit.
- I’m a STEM person so this is kind of in my lane.

Cons:
- The bio teacher I have will be really shit. Basically he’s a physics teacher teaching bio. From what my friends say, he spends 20 mins of the lesson marking the role and for experiments, he doesn’t explain why they are doing what they’re doing. Like the reason for looking at onion cells, but others do say that if you ask a question he will explain it. He just overall crap.
- I’ll be pretty behind on content and I’ll struggle for a while trying to catch up.
- Biology will be very content heavy and I don’t know if I will have enough passion to suffer through it.
- There will be another early period, where I’d rather stay at home and sleep. I already have 3 early periods for my subjects and I will be going to school early for 4 days with bio. 3 days in a row of sciences and another for art on another week.
- Tests/ assessments are much larger and harder than economics.
- Scaling is questionable.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Econ is a good subject to have to mix up your schedule a bit.

Imagine you finish school and suddenly you find you hate STEM and want to do something more humanities focused, if you keep econ you can mention to other that you did econ and you will be less of an outsider in a humanities degree cohort (I know this seems silly, but at the university/workplace level this kind of group-think behavior does occur).

Also AdvEng+MathEx1+Phys+Chem will already take up 95% of your time so having another content heavy subject may become overwhelming (econ is a bit lighter on content than bio).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)