JulioClaudians (1 Viewer)

smurfygirl

HSC
N/A
A note from a HSC markers point of view. Do NOT ignore Gaius. If you're asked a question about 'in this period', that includes Gaius. There is also no guarantee that you'll be asked an individual Princeps question.

HSC
Shazzeh said:
what i'm getting confused with is that people are talking about Augustus in the Julio-Claudian section. he wasn't one. it was only Tiberius, Gaius, Claudius and Nero. wasn't Augustus a choice in the personality unit? i'm just going on what i've been told.
The syllabus committee changed it this year. Now the Julio-Claudians unit contains Tiberius, Gaius, Claudius, Nero and the Year of the Four Emperors (Galba, Otho, Vitellius and the start of Vespasian's reign)

ndobson

HSC
N/A
emanuellasker said:
have u ever thought of watching i claudius?
For 2007 students looking for info...please do NOT watch the 'I Claudius' TV mini-series. While it was a popular mini-series and granted it does put a kind of 'human face' to this time period of Roman history, the series is full of 'additions' that are not based on historical fact. The danger here is that you will mention aspects of this series in your examination and nothing impresses a marker less than incorrect information from a TV mini-series. So I recommend that unless you are VERY secure in your knowledge of the facts and know Suetonius, Tacitius and Cassius Dio as well as modern historians like Scullard back to front; do not subject yourself to a 'source' that is full of so much incorrect information.

If you want to watch something historically grounded try the Empires DVD 'Rome in the First Century', available from ABC shops and many other book/dvd stores. Of course this may not be as appealing because there are no dramatic recreations and they don't focus on the sex, intrigue and murders...but at least you won't confuse yourself with the elements of fiction in 'I Claudius'.

:confused:

Good luck!

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
LOL our teacher let us watch the first 3 eppisodes of "I Claudius" for background and to see what it was like leading up to Tiberius' accession as Augustus isn't in the syllabus anymore. We all spend the whole time laughing at it and it got us all interested in the topic.

I sooo intend to watch the rest of them although I probably won't get round to it till after the HSC.

I Claudius..... watch it with the web notes, makes it even funnier, well at least my friend and I did, we couldn't stop laughing!

rachel2219

HSC
I didn't realise that Augustus was a main point in the JC's I thought it was more the other four emperors.I know nothing on this topic as my old teacher left right when we were starting this topic and my new teacher is kind of hopeless. I'm hoping one will be a question on Claudius as I do not see that in the recent years papers?

Hadn

HSC
Re: Claudius

This thread is really takin off!!

As previously mentioned, here are some notes on good old Clau-Clau-Claudius, bless him!

Magister
I dont really like the wording of some of the quotes such as "• AGRIPPINA-Claudius fell under her attraction, but she was also his niece. This was considered incestuous and a senatorial dispensation was required for them to marry. She wanted to advance her son, Nero and he became a threat to Claudius’ son, BRITANNICUS. Her conspiracy resulted in Claudius’ murder." That last line made me laugh, show me evidence lady! dont speculate when it comes to my hsc marks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)