Journalism and UC general (1 Viewer)

HSC
How's journalism at UC regarded? I know it has strong links with the Federal Parliamentary Press Gallery, Federal government departments and with the National Press Club. Also, studying in the nation's capital would be an advantage. How's the broadcast stream? What I mean is how is it regarded by the industry, specifically television, and how are the facilities at UC? I know the anchor of National Nine News in Darwin graduated from UC with a journalism degree. UTS is really good for journalism because it's very practical. UTS is also good because people can intern at the ABC across the road. How practical is UC's course? How easy would it be to get an internship or work experience at WIN Television? Also, how's the UC campus? It's a bit smaller than ANU, I know that much. Is it green like ANU? Also, are the buildings relatively new? Google isn't very helpful in sourcing images of the campus. Does anyone have any images that show off UC?

wwjd_frog14

HSC
I know nothing about Journalism at UC, so I'm not going to pretend to know...But in terms on the UC Bruce Campus (main campus in Bruce/Belconnen), it is quiet a lot smaller than ANU as there is considerably less students enrolled (I believe its about 10,000 students). This in itself makes UC a great place to study, as the Uni is smaller & you get to know your lecturers/tutors/course convenors & fellow students better, and you always see people you know. There a nice green spaces in the main concourse areas of the uni, & of course the sporting fields, and near the Ressies you always see kangaroos :p We don't have the waterfalls & statues like ANU, but that's just them flaunting their money. There are a mixture of old & new buildings, much like any other uni, with the most recent upgrade I can think of being the Health Sciences building, which is pretty awesome. Some of the main lecture theatres have been upgraded fairly recently too. I've been at UC for 2 years already & I think its great- I have a Uni in my home city, but I'd still pick UC over it if I had the choice again.

Again, I hope this helps. Cheers :D

HSC
Thanks for the reply. Anyone know anything specific about UC Journalism? It says on their website that they have an "enviable reputation", but all you ever hear in regards to journalism at a university level is that UTS, CSU and UOW are the good universities to study it. I hope I can make my mind up before my offer lapses. Any UC journalism students out there to give some personal advice?

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
its quite a popular course (i did about 6 weeks on 'intro to journalism' unit last year... but i didnt like it.
the lecturer i had has had heaps of experience in the journalism fleid and i was pretty impressed.
the unit i did was every interesting... they suggest that you read the paper everyday, because a journalist needs to keep up-to-date, pop quizzes on resent events, mini-artitle writings... blah blah blah.
it was a very intense unit.. no slacking (which i did plenty of) but they said they want the best of the best to be involved in this course (or singe unit)!

sorry its not very detailed, but the best thing to do is check out the journalism lecture during O Week!

my lecturer was i think Alex West.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
p.s:

check out Youtube and type in university of canberra.. and within the results is either real or mock stories done by certain students of the journalism course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)