IUPAC Naming (Nomenclature) for HSC - Help please (1 Viewer)

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
Hey everyone,

Idk how to name this:
1635076298732.png

If anyone could name this, please tell me! :)

(P.S. Is this even HSC level?)

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
Right, thank you for the confirmation lol - I was pretty concerned about that question lmao

I'm so glad that it's not in the syllabus :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Definitely way over the top. I'm not convinced by that ChemDraw name, either, as it is treating an amide functional group as an amine adjacent to a carbonyl...

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely way over the top. I'm not convinced by that ChemDraw name, either, as it is treating an amide functional group as an amine adjacent to a carbonyl...
Yeah, I'm not sure if ChemDraw follows CAS or IUPAC (but they're similar) but a lot of weird things happen in nomenclature. You'd have to follow it by the book to get a "correct" name.

Either way, it's not a particularly important skill to have (but you should be able to name simple molecules) and nomenclature does weird things. As long as the molecule can be drawn by following what's written, then it's generally not a problem in real life. As far as I've seen, most people just use a generated name and often, more complex molecules have their own abbreviation (e.g. 4CzIPN, (Ir[dF(CF3)ppy]2(dtbbpy))PF6).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)