Is tutoring really necessary? (1 Viewer)

aks441

HSC
So I currently go to a tutoring centre in the Hurstville area. It's basically like Matrix, so it teaches you extra stuff with theory and homework. This is my first term trying it out, and overall, it's decent. However, it is very costly, and I'm not too sure if I should continue it. Had anyone faced the same problem or has some advice?

pros -
teaches new concepts that I wouldn't learn in class
ahead of my peers in my class and schoolwork
pretty good teaching methods
prepares me for the future

cons-
very costly (costs me like 1.5K for a term for english and maths 1hr)
stressful and takes up my whole day
I fall behind in schoolwork due to my workload at tutoring
in a class full of selective kids, so I feel dumb, lol

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am currently in yr10 btw.
Would it be more beneficial to have a private 1v1 tutor or continue coaching and learning new concepts? Because I don't find schoolwork that hard.

dasfas

HSC
No, it is not necessary.

A private 1on1 tutor would probably be good as they can teach you not only the content, but go through study skills, exam technique (both of which aren't covered as in-depth by tutoring centers).

However, where are SO MANY resources online that if you know where to look, you can get very similar resources for free. A tutor/mentor just helps you get there faster as they teach you from their failures do you don't have to build everything from scratch

Directrix

Spirit Lifter
HSC
If you don’t go tutoring, you’re “Totally Screwed” aka Mr 99.6 without the use of tutoring.

idkkdi

HSC
So I currently go to a tutoring centre in the Hurstville area. It's basically like Matrix, so it teaches you extra stuff with theory and homework. This is my first term trying it out, and overall, it's decent. However, it is very costly, and I'm not too sure if I should continue it. Had anyone faced the same problem or has some advice?

pros -

cons-

Would it be more beneficial to have a private 1v1 tutor or continue coaching and learning new concepts? Because I don't find schoolwork that hard.
depends on what subjects you do.
No, it is not necessary.

A private 1on1 tutor would probably be good as they can teach you not only the content, but go through study skills, exam technique (both of which aren't covered as in-depth by tutoring centers).

However, where are SO MANY resources online that if you know where to look, you can get very similar resources for free. A tutor/mentor just helps you get there faster as they teach you from their failures do you don't have to build everything from scratch
agree. tutoring mainly helps you get from point a to point b faster, especially with regards to covering stuff that you would normally miss or not place importance on. tutoring can also get you to a point beyond what point you could have gotten to yourself.

Directrix

Spirit Lifter
HSC

pros -

cons-

You're 14+ (given by how you're in y10)

work at the deli

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)