Is Tutoring really necessary (1 Viewer)

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
Do you really need tutoring to do good as in band 6 or high band 5 for the following subjects :

4U maths
3U maths
physics
chemistry
english

I’m just really curious and also tips on getting good marks without tutoring?

HSC
N/A
Tutoring definitely helps, but that doesn't mean you aren't capable of getting high marks by studying on your own.

If you want to get good marks without tutoring, you need to make sure you study all the content regularly. If there are any concepts that you don't understand, you should ask your teacher for help asap.

For maths specifically, you should focus on completing relevant questions regularly, as that will make sure you understand the topics and prepares you for your exams.

For English, you should have thorough knowledge of the prescribed texts. Also, you should regularly seek feedback from your teacher regarding your essays. That'll help you refine and improve everything that you write.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Do you really need tutoring to do good as in band 6 or high band 5 for the following subjects :

4U maths
3U maths
physics
chemistry
english

don't be soft, be an idkkdi and grid forevs

AlphaBetaThetaGamma

HSC
Tutoring definitely helps, but that doesn't mean you aren't capable of getting high marks by studying on your own.

If you want to get good marks without tutoring, you need to make sure you study all the content regularly. If there are any concepts that you don't understand, you should ask your teacher for help asap.

For maths specifically, you should focus on completing relevant questions regularly, as that will make sure you understand the topics and prepares you for your exams.

For English, you should have thorough knowledge of the prescribed texts. Also, you should regularly seek feedback from your teacher regarding your essays. That'll help you refine and improve everything that you write.
IMO, tutoring is suited the best for two kinds of people. The top, and the bottom. Top is because motivation, bottom is obvious.

tickboom

HSC
Uni Grad
I never had any tutoring and ended up doing pretty well, particularly in maths (99 for 3U and 94 for 4U, with a UAI of 98.75). That said, in hindsight I think tutoring for 4U would have helped because I think the content can get beyond a lot of teachers, so many 4U students can feel like they are on their own.

I recently started a website where students can get help specifically on the math questions they are struggling with, which I think could be better than tutoring in some ways because it requires the student to take the initiative and not be entirely spoon fed. You can check it out if you are doing maths: www.tickboom.study

Last edited:

Lazzzzzyyyyyy...

HSC
IMO, tutoring is suited the best for two kinds of people. The top, and the bottom. Top is because motivation, bottom is obvious.
Holy that's so true. I've noticed that people not in those categories don't find tutoring effective.

I think that's what you need to think about as well, how effective it will be for you. It's definitely possible to get those marks without tutoring but maybe tutoring will be a big help for you in getting those marks but maybe they won't help all that much and you'll be wasting your time. Tutoring is only effective when you pay attention in class, do all the homework given, try to do well for the exams, use all their possible resources (maybe you can ask for help outside of class time etc.).

But if you put in the work and effort, do a bunch of questions for maths, read your English texts, write practice essays, ask for help when needed, do past papers etc. (sorry don't have any specific science tips), you should be able to achieve those marks just fine without tutoring.

dasfas

HSC
It isn't necessary, but it definitely does help. You can top the states in any of those subjects without tutoring if you're determined / smart / lucky enough, but tutoring will help you be significantly more efficient in your learning along the way.

The main advantage of tutors is that they've been in your shoes before, so you can learn from the mistakes they made, learn their tricks and gain access to their resources and get your question answered in-depth (which is more difficult for teachers who have lots of students at the same time)

idkkdi

HSC

4U maths
3U maths
physics
chemistry
english

no lol

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It's kind of really dependent on what you are looking to get out of tutoring

The main thing people don't understand is that tutoring doesn't automatically mean good marks. You go to tutoring for maybe 1 to 3 hours per week for a subject so it is more based on do you make best use of the tutoring time and then actually for yourself study outside this time as well.

If a student is just getting tutoring for the sake of it and not willing to actually utilise the tutor then it is not really that beneficial in my opinion. I've seen students like this who are kind of forced to go tutoring by their parents and they are not self motivated in their studies so no matter how much tutoring they get they won't see much of an impact

However, if you are a student who is motivated to learn but let's say doesn't have the resources or ability to improve by themselves to a high degree as they might not have a good teacher or have problems in answering questions, then a tutor can really benefit them and improve their marks. Sometimes by as much as 30% in some students I've tutored. However, if you think about these students if they just knew where to find the resources and materials would probably on their own still be able to improve to a decent degree.

If you were already smart and doing well then tutoring probably isn't going to do that much unless it is tutoring that is tailored to what you need to do well. For example like in this case the main thing the student would need help with is access to resources and materials. So in that sense it does give them an advantage because they have all the past papers and other things that a tutor or tutoring centre provides that aren't usually freely available. If you already have access to past papers then yeah you can just go ahead and do everything yourself.

Last edited:

tito981

HSC
i go tutoring for 2 subjects and i really only go there for resources, much less the help.

TryhardIndian

HSC
You really don't need tutoring as you can use textbooks and websites like this for notes. You can find practice questions on thsc and numerous textbooks. Whatever question you find hard, you can just ask your teacher or friends. In my opinion, tutoring is needed if you have a bad teacher who doesn't explain concepts properly when you ask them your questions or you don't have the self motivation to read through the textbook.

JeydinNewWon

HSC
I think really just do as you please. I only had "tutoring" for Maths and Physics.

The only reason I needed a tutor for 4U and 3U Maths was just that my teacher was pretty bad. He just read from the textbook and would rewrite the exact examples the textbook gave...like, what? I found it hard to learn that way, and I basically could not understand a thing. I flopped my first assessment task because of that. Even when I got a tutor, 90% of the work and learning was by myself, and I just needed him to clarify certain questions. I.e. just a teacher I could regularly ask for advice. I did textbook questions over and over until I was competent. And I learned a lot of methods independently through past papers.

My "tutor" for Physics was basically me just reading from a textbook with someone by my side. It was more of a "discussion" as opposed to route learning or studying. My "tutor" was just someone I talked to my ideas on Physics about, and every "lesson" was as I said, a discussion of Physics and I improved my understanding there. Wrote absolutely zero summary notes on it. I just really loved Physics and on the side watched videos about certain topics independently. Also, thought experimenting was my idea "study" goal, I always ask how a factor affected another and such in my head. I never really wrote notes for Physics, and it just all sort of naturally absorbed into my head. My teacher was pretty good, but I think it would be hard for students to do well with only his in-class stuff without independent study.

Also, for English Advanced, I never had a tutor for it and ended up with 3rd in my school with a mark of 94. (Was 2nd until I got 90 on my trials, and someone got 95 and took my rank :[ ). I really find English you can't be tutored for, and it's really just a case of independent study. Like seriously, English Advanced is about your own opinion of the text and personal voice. USE YOUR TEACHER FOR ADVICE. But if you're in desperate need for help to climb from failing the course, by all means, yes, use a tutor.

Last edited:

fysiqs

HSC
I’ve personally never had a tutor, apart from an English tutor going into year 11. Unless your marks are well below what you are aiming for/need, you shouldn’t need a tutor :)
" I’ve personally never had a tutor, apart from an English tutor......" mmmm, well that's a great opening sentence. "Never" had a tutor, and then, oh wait......"apart from....."

I think you ought to have stuck with that tutor, maybe they may have taught you about irony or humility. Take your pick.

JeydinNewWon

HSC
" I’ve personally never had a tutor, apart from an English tutor......" mmmm, well that's a great opening sentence. "Never" had a tutor, and then, oh wait......"apart from....."

I think you ought to have stuck with that tutor, maybe they may have taught you about irony or humility. Take your pick.
I don't think his intention was to brag, though. It's easier to say "I didn't have tutor minus one". It's the same as saying "I had one tutor in the past temporarily". There is no difference.

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC

Sorry mate, just a bit of a wording error. Not entirely sure who you are but I’d appreciate it if you stopped quoting me unless you have something constructive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)