Is there plagiarism in the HSC for english? (1 Viewer)

TheVuk

HSC
I have seen a lot of high scoring English essays available on the internet and my friends are seemingly dependent on them i.e not even studying English and just trying to memorise said essays. Is there anything wrong with this, do they check for plagiarism etc. ? thank you

Hiheyhello

HSC
im guessing its all good then?
no no i don’t think it is
idk the reasoning tho (perhaps someone else knows how it works) i just feel like you’ll screw urself over by memorising and using another person’s essay, one way or another

1) surely nesa will be able to detect plagiarism

2) u won’t be able to adapt it as well ( as u don’t know ur ideas inside out).

should deffos be able to take inspiration from others tho

uniqueusername1

HSC
Mate there is be careful.

Remember it is better to get a 14/20 (which would occur if you are an average student) then cheat and get a 0.

tito981

HSC
you have to copy almost word for word to be called out for plagiarism, It's very hard to get caught as the questions are different every year so when you adapt a thesis/ topic sentence, it will most likely be different from the copied one. So if you just reword it and take paragraphs from different essays its very hard to get caught. I know this because there are some many people in my school and other schools who do this across the state.

Hiheyhello

HSC
you have to copy almost word for word to be called out for plagiarism, It's very hard to get caught as the questions are different every year so when you adapt a thesis/ topic sentence, it will most likely be different from the copied one. So if you just reword it and take paragraphs from different essays its very hard to get caught. I know this because there are some many people in my school and other schools who do this across the state.
if it was as simple as that, i’m sure everyone would be doing it…

which i doubt considering that not everyone comes out with band 6s

vishnay

God
HSC
I have seen a lot of high scoring English essays available on the internet and my friends are seemingly dependent on them i.e not even studying English and just trying to memorise said essays. Is there anything wrong with this, do they check for plagiarism etc. ? thank you
marked by humans therefore low chance of getting caught

if u really want to avoid plagiarism then just mix and match different pieces from different essays and memorise

not advocating for plagiarism btw just telling u how u could avoid it if they do use something to detect plagiarism (highly doubt they do tho)

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
essay questions are unseen in the HSC, you'd be taking a massive risk by memorising someone else's essays entirely and hoping that the HSC questions fit whatever you memorised, this is really unlikely if not impossible and you'd have no room to adapt and be flexible. plagiarism is one issue but even if you got away with it, chances are you'd still do shit

vishnay

God
HSC
essay questions are unseen in the HSC, you'd be taking a massive risk by memorising someone else's essays entirely and hoping that the HSC questions fit whatever you memorised, this is really unlikely if not impossible and you'd have no room to adapt and be flexible. plagiarism is one issue but even if you got away with it, chances are you'd still do shit
what if u memorise a lot + u have good improv skills?

vishnay

God
HSC
yea lol its way more than that. You can even get caught for taking someone's ideas. My friend got called out bad.
in the hsc or at school? bc if it was at school that would make sense but it would be hard for hsc markers to call out specific people on ideas

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
what if u memorise a lot + u have good improv skills?
with improv skills you could make it work yes

the actual important thing is understanding your texts on a deeper analytical level you can engage with questions more meaningfully as a result, if you just memorise someone's work without studying on your own, you'd only have surface level understanding of your texts and it would reflect in ur writing

tito981

HSC
if it was as simple as that, i’m sure everyone would be doing it…

which i doubt considering that not everyone comes out with band 6s
Its because people who are good at english make their own essays, but most people who copy do not know how to edit/adapt to a question , hence why the resort to plagiarism. To get into the b6 range its more about answering the question rather than having a godly analysis, and the majority of people who copy, just copy of other people in their school who may be bad at english. If you find a source of high quality essays and spend a month just adapting those to questions, it is easy to attain a high b5 or a b6 (assuming who have a foundational understanding of your text).

vishnay

God
HSC
with improv skills you could make it work yes

the actual important thing is understanding your texts on a deeper analytical level you can engage with questions more meaningfully as a result, if you just memorise someone's work without studying on your own, you'd only have surface level understanding of your texts and it would reflect in ur writing
yeah everyone who gets a borderline band 6 at my school usually just memorise a couple exemplars + adapt but the higher ones either do the "understanding texts" thing or they just memorise like a solid 15-20 paragraphs per text

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
yeah everyone who gets a borderline band 6 at my school usually just memorise a couple exemplars + adapt but the higher ones either do the "understanding texts" thing or they just memorise like a solid 15-20 paragraphs per text
yeah like understanding your texts and having wider peripheral knowledge to draw from, it really gives you that extra edge. you can have good essays and memorised work to bring with you to HSC, it'll suffice, but if you know your texts inside out you'll be more equipped to nail the unseens which could be about anything

last year's Mod B questions were SO specific like my prepared work certainly didn't match with the question and I had to improvise on the spot, which I couldn't have done successfully if I didn't know my text well and outside of what I memorised

TheVuk

HSC
its coz my teacher keeps yapping to do an essay and try to memorise so i thought whats the point of me writing a maybe 17/20 and memorising it if i can memorise a 20/20 u know what im saying

vishnay

God
HSC
its coz my teacher keeps yapping to do an essay and try to memorise so i thought whats the point of me writing a maybe 17/20 and memorising it if i can memorise a 20/20 u know what im saying
memorising a 20/20 can backfire sometimes bc u might not understand what they're saying which would make it harder to improvise

maybe adapt a 20/20 into ur own words and then memorise

notme123

HSC
from personal experience i was only getting 17s with one prepared essay that was very flexible and only reading over it using it as a structure because i was told memorising isjnt good. once i started memorising my marks lifted substantially. the hsc is a bit specific in what it wants but there are always workarounds like extra paragraphs and links

nourished.

HSC
im guessing its all good then?
I'm not endorsing it, but there's almost no chance you'll get caught. Reason being is that they would have to type up all the responses from last year, then type up all the responses from this year, to compare for plagiarism. There's also a very big leeway for the level of similarity responses could have because there really isn't much analysis that hasn't already been written about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)