is state rank still possible? (1 Viewer)

sukan

HSC
my assessment results for maths ext 1 are as followed:
AT1: 60/60 = 100%
AT2: 48/50 = 96%
AT3: 35/35 = 100%
AT4 (trials): 69/70 = 99%
HSC exam: predicting around 64-67/70

Is a state rank still possible?

xdk1ng

HSC
I think state rank will be 70/70... or at least 69 for HSC exam...

Nedom

HSC
I don't know whether you can state rank or not (I don't know about the stats/numbers).

However, besides your performance in the HSC test, you also need to consider:
- Your internal rank (as it corresponds to an Assessment mark that accounts for 50% of your mark)
- Whether you do MX2 or not (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember my friend explaining how there is a bias towards those who do MX1 alone over does who do MX2 and MX1, i.e. A high mark in MX1 alone will not be enough to get you a state rank if you do MX2, as they look at how you study MX2 and should be better at maths. Therefore, you will require to be good in both MX2 and MX1 to get a state rank in MX1 (maybe MX2 too))

HSC
Sorry but nearly impossible. You'll still get an amazing mark though! But probably no sr (generally need to drop 0-1 marks for sr, so even for a hard year, you're going to be outside of the sr range).

HSC
- Whether you do MX2 or not (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember my friend explaining how there is a bias towards those who do MX1 alone over does who do MX2 and MX1, i.e. A high mark in MX1 alone will not be enough to get you a state rank if you do MX2, as they look at how you study MX2 and should be better at maths. Therefore, you will require to be good in both MX2 and MX1 to get a state rank in MX1 (maybe MX2 too))
Iirc this only works one way. MX1 results are taken into account for MX2 SRs but not MX2 for MX1.

Nedom

HSC
Iirc this only works one way. MX1 results are taken into account for MX2 SRs but not MX2 for MX1.
I don't really know, I'm just repeating what I heard from my friend. But personally. I think it should actually apply both ways. Like if you do MX2, you should be better than MX1 students (not aggressive), so you should perform as well if not better. Vice versa, for MX2, if you are just putting all your time into MX2, and you don't perform well in MX1, then you are not a well-rounded math student. Just a thought.

HSC
That disadvantages MX1-only students from getting state rank. Some schools may not offer MX2, or a student may be accelerated, or a student may have missed some arbitary cuttoff for MX2 and significantly lifted their game (yes, this can happen). Why should such a student be excluded from SR?

Nedom

HSC
That disadvantages MX1-only students from getting state rank. Some schools may not offer MX2, or a student may be accelerated, or a student may have missed some arbitary cuttoff for MX2 and significantly lifted their game (yes, this can happen). Why should such a student be excluded from SR?
Sorry, but could you state which part disadvantages them, I don't follow.

Nedom

HSC
I'm pretty sure my point (which I heard from a friend) was that for an MX2 student, you need to perform better than that of an MX1 student, if not match the supposed state rank raw mark for the position of state rank, to attain the state rank for MX1. I don't really understand how it could disadvantage MX1-only students, but rather I see it as only a disadvantage to MX2 students.

If my fore-mentioned method was used to see whether one can state rank, it may be fairer for MX1 students to get a state rank, cause it would dedicate the positions to MX1-only students, but in my opinion, I believe it would be fairer if it followed the concept of "only the best performers get the state ranks, regardless of their performance in the higher level of maths", which you have said that it is how it works.
I don't really know, I'm just repeating what I heard from my friend. But personally. I think it should actually apply both ways. Like if you do MX2, you should be better than MX1 students (not aggressive), so you should perform as well if not better. Vice versa, for MX2, if you are just putting all your time into MX2, and you don't perform well in MX1, then you are not a well-rounded math student. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)