is mathematics even scaled up (1 Viewer)

ronaldo

hey is mathematics even scaled up and by how much like how much was it scaled up to last year and the year before, and i dont understand how ppl say if everyone goes bad in this test we will all get scaled up, if anyone can explain my questions plz feel free

badlysketched

YES!!! it WILL be scaled up! in 2001 it was scaled up about 10%... basically what they do is look at how everyone did and statistically compare it to the year before (u now if the majority of people got 50% this year and last year the majority of people got 70% for their final mark then they might even scale us up 20%)

of course the actual scaling process is unknown to pretty much everyone except the people who scale the marks up/design the program that does it for the scalers!!! this is just what i've been told... i'm been told by someone who did the 2001 paper they were scaled up about 10% and we should expect to be scaled up roughly 20%... thats only an estimate based on how people are saying they went though. we can't really be sure... but rest assured with this test you WILL be scaled up... if they don't it will be EXTREME unfair in comparison to the other years so they have to. dun worry so much! everyone did crappy. u are hearing the cream of the crop results here. these are all dedicated students! lots of people just walked out of the exam and didn't care... and if they didn't care they wouldn't be here worrying! u might be surprised at your results in the end :) cheers and good luck!!!!!

Left-ism

HSC
no
in terms of board of studies scaling...uai scaling is completely seperate

PRSOV

Guys,
They dont actually compare you to the year beforehand. What actually happens is they mark all of the papers and then calculate the AVERAGE mark. They then scale so that the average mark is 60%.

Cheers,
M. Nicol

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I should point out that every post so far is completely wrong.

If you want an accurate answer to your question, start an appropriate thread in the "UAI/HSC Marks - Technical Arcana" forum.

PRSOV

Originally posted by Lazarus
I should point out that every post so far is completely wrong.

If you want an accurate answer to your question, start an appropriate thread in the "UAI/HSC Marks - Technical Arcana" forum.
Hmmm every post so far is wrong, well If what I said is wrong then my 4U and 3U teachers must really have no idea about the scaling of the 2U course considering they teach 2U mathematics as well.

Cheers,
M. Nicol

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Put it this way,

Hard exam = bad

bad = bad scaling

bad scaling = bad candidture

bad candidture = bad scaling

This is the UAC i'm talking about. What the BOS does with our marks although makes it look more cool, the UAC takes our RAW marks and scales its ass downwards, for mathematics im talking about.

So when the newspaper say it will be compensated, it will, but we don't care what the BOS does, all we care about is the UAI.

PRSOV

Originally posted by Ragerunner
Put it this way,

Hard exam = bad

bad = bad scaling

bad scaling = bad candidture

bad candidture = bad scaling

This is the UAC i'm talking about. What the BOS does with our marks although makes it look more cool, the UAC takes our RAW marks and scales its ass downwards, for mathematics im talking about.

So when the newspaper say it will be compensated, it will, but we don't care what the BOS does, all we care about is the UAI.
I dont really care that much what UAI I get, I just want to get really good hsc exam marks :D

badlysketched

yeh my UAI doesn't matter at all. i'm thinking HSC marks and thats what i was told by my teacher... and of course if they scaled last years papers so the average was 60... and then they scaled the average this years papers to match... hmmm... wouldn't the average also be 60? i guess it just depends if my teacher took the long way around... she obviously didn't know exactly what the average was scaled to. anyways since i was so completely wrong i apologise for the inaccurate information, its only what i was told by my teachers at school. i also said the exact process is unknown to most people, when i did try to find out (when i was planning to go to uni) i could find no accurate info on it, besides i have had other things to do that research it for kicks. sorry dude... all i know is our HSC marks are scaled up... and yes that does matter if you aren't going to uni, its good in job applications.

blah whatever, was just trying to help

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
as far as i understand, some people still have to get band 6s, so they are going to have to up some of the marks

all the hsc marks are over 50, so if someone got 30% that will be upped obviously

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by PRSOV
Hmmm every post so far is wrong, well If what I said is wrong then my 4U and 3U teachers must really have no idea about the scaling of the 2U course considering they teach 2U mathematics as well.
The whole "set the average to be 60%" thing was part of the old HSC.

choc-chip

HSC
ppl who smart in maths would prefer the exam go harder...
so they would freak out ...if da exam is easy,so every1 get the high mark which is mean da uai would b scale down?is it ture??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)