is going tutoring discriminating and unfair? (1 Viewer)

wzsmartypants

HSC
I go to a shitty partially selective school and whenever someone mentions tutoring(me) or does tutoring work in class(me) this kid gets very mad (i do maths one year ahead in tutoring). he gets straight A’s and has never done tutoring, according to him, tutoring is unfair and education should be priceless. he thinks tutoring discriminates those who can’t afford going tutoring. He also thinks there’s no point of going tutoring if you get public education. Well i don’t think that way. i think tutoring is a choice and he should be minding his own business XD What do you guys think?

HSC
N/A
tutoring isn't unfair

you still have to work rlly hard to get positive effects from it

though I feel like you should get a job and pay for it yourself you're 14 yes?
Education is something that should be the concern of a student’s parents. I don’t think a child should pay for their own tutoring. That could be too expensive (even if they have a job). I think parents should pay any education-related costs until the student successfully completes their HSC, then it can become the student’s responsibility for any education beyond the HSC.

Now to OP, tutoring is not unfair. It helps students understand concepts they don’t understand at school, as well as completing harder sets of questions (e.g. Maths) or going ahead in terms of content. Of course, it would be a huge flex to get an ATAR in the high 90’s with no tutoring.

HSC
N/A
I'd agree with the financial aspect (as in the fact that some students may be able to go tutoring whereas others may not). And I do believe education should be free for everyone (which it is, if we consider all the public schools around).

Where discrimination (maybe discrimination doesn't describe it perfectly, maybe it's more of a distinction) occurs imo is with students/families whose financial conditions are good, which makes them able to enrol their children in prestigious selective private schools/public as well as top tutoring centres. This gives the student an advantage over say, students (not great financially) who go to a non-selective public school and get no tutoring whatsoever. Of course, this doesn't mean students who go to a public non-selective school can't achieve great results. It's just that the former has somewhat of a headstart/advantage over the other.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
he thinks it’s FINANCIALLY discriminating
How can you possibly solve that?

The problem is that you can’t avoid the fact that we live in a capitalist society so by definition, “financial discrimination“ is everywhere. As long as there is supply and demand, tutoring will always exist.

idkkdi

HSC

The problem is that you can’t avoid the fact that we live in a capitalist society so by definition, “financial discrimination“ is everywhere. As long as there is supply and demand, tutoring will always exist.
exactly.
@wzsmartypants, if he's going to complain about tutoring being unfair he might as well complain about everything from family educational level to brain power to physical health to mental health.
the world is unfair, and it likely will never be totally fair. one fault progresses to another.

Last edited:

Duskheaven

HSC
I go to a shitty partially selective school and whenever someone mentions tutoring(me) or does tutoring work in class(me) this kid gets very mad (i do maths one year ahead in tutoring). he gets straight A’s and has never done tutoring, according to him, tutoring is unfair and education should be priceless. he thinks tutoring discriminates those who can’t afford going tutoring. He also thinks there’s no point of going tutoring if you get public education. Well i don’t think that way. i think tutoring is a choice and he should be minding his own business XD What do you guys think?
It's unfair but unsolvable, mostly unfair because your ATAR is meant to reflect your aptitude to succeed at university and tutoring is going to help you raise that rank but not to a great extent your aptitude IMO. There's definitely value to it on an individual level. Considering you guys live an area where selective schools even are an option, that's a far greater privilege than being able to afford tutoring.

blyatman

HSC
N/A

1615266987260.png

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
if you can afford tutoring then why wouldn't you take advantage of the service lol. he's calling it financial discrimination but probs just feels triggered because you have access to content, resources and help that he doesn't. I used to feel angry and intimidated by the guy who knew the whole mx1 course in yr10 before we even started mx1, he'd know the answers to everything while I was still struggling to understand the basics. but I learnt the same shit through school eventually, and while my progress was slow we had become equals in ability by the time hsc came which is what matters I'd say. if you go tutoring that's really great, if you don't go tutoring that's perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with either and conclusion is we should all just mind our own business

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)