is a high atar still possible? (1 Viewer)

sourlollies

HSC
hi everyone, i'm really stressed at the moment for my year12 atar. i haven't been putting in much effort into studying for assesment tasks and after receiving back my first few marks, i realised how much i need to lift my game. so far for my internal marks i got 20-35% for AT1 & AT2 Chemistry, 80% AT1 for Economics, 30% AT1 for Maths Ext2, 60% AT1 for Maths Ext1 & 85% for AT1 English Adv. i was originally aiming for a total atar of at least 85-90, but is this still possible with my current internal marks? i've lost all hope in achieving an alright atar and feeling low about it. my school's ranked in the top50 too. someone please tell me if my external hsc marks would make my goal atar possible~~

i hope everyone's results are wayyyy better than mine & i hope everyone's finding year12 not too stressful. i'm starting to slowly get back into the grind and hope to do well in future assessments :))

thank you!

YonOra

HSC
i'm starting to slowly get back into the grind and hope to do well in future assessments :))
That's what i like to hear.

It's hard to say anything considering idk ur rank. Your marks mean nothing to me. Just looking at them though, I'm guessing you're towards the bottom percentile.

However, you can ABSOLUTELY still get a high atar. Higher than your current goal if you gun it now. You have 2 internal assessments left, one being trials which is the highest weighted one. You also have the HSC, which is 50% of your atar. This will be a crazy feat, and hard. Pulling your rank up is very difficult and blitzing the HSC exam is also quite difficult. So don't lose hope, and gun the rest of this year.

Best of luck.

Want90Atar

HSC
hi everyone, i'm really stressed at the moment for my year12 atar. i haven't been putting in much effort into studying for assesment tasks and after receiving back my first few marks, i realised how much i need to lift my game. so far for my internal marks i got 20-35% for AT1 & AT2 Chemistry, 80% AT1 for Economics, 30% AT1 for Maths Ext2, 60% AT1 for Maths Ext1 & 85% for AT1 English Adv. i was originally aiming for a total atar of at least 85-90, but is this still possible with my current internal marks? i've lost all hope in achieving an alright atar and feeling low about it. my school's ranked in the top50 too. someone please tell me if my external hsc marks would make my goal atar possible~~

i hope everyone's results are wayyyy better than mine & i hope everyone's finding year12 not too stressful. i'm starting to slowly get back into the grind and hope to do well in future assessments :))

thank you!
Yes a high atar is still possible

sourlollies

HSC
That's what i like to hear.

It's hard to say anything considering idk ur rank. Your marks mean nothing to me. Just looking at them though, I'm guessing you're towards the bottom percentile.

However, you can ABSOLUTELY still get a high atar. Higher than your current goal if you gun it now. You have 2 internal assessments left, one being trials which is the highest weighted one. You also have the HSC, which is 50% of your atar. This will be a crazy feat, and hard. Pulling your rank up is very difficult and blitzing the HSC exam is also quite difficult. So don't lose hope, and gun the rest of this year.

Best of luck.
thank you!! i have so much more confidence now

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Your internal raw mark only matters in comparison to your peers. The only exam that effects your ATAR directly is the actual HSC exam where:

50% is your own exam mark
50% is the #th best exam mark in your cohort (where # is your internal rank for that subject)

A high ATAR is still possible but I suggest getting a hold of your school rank and your internal rank for some more perspective into your situation if you want.

Overall though, just put your head down. What's done is done and focus on what you can control.

Last edited:

Want90Atar

HSC
Your internal raw mark doesn't matter. Your internal rank is all that matters. The only exam that effects your ATAR directly is the actual HSC exam where:

50% is your own exam mark
50% is the #th best exam mark in your cohort (where # is your internal rank for that subject)

A high ATAR is still possible but I suggest getting a hold of your school rank and your internal rank for some more perspective.
How can you say internal raw mark do not matter, then say that your internal rank only matters first make sure you do really well in your internal marks so even if you do not get first your marks won't ever disappoint with you

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
How can you say internal raw mark do not matter, then say that your internal rank only matters first make sure you do really well in your internal marks so even if you do not get first your marks won't ever disappoint with you
Because different schools have different exams at varying levels of difficulty.

Want90Atar

HSC
Because different schools have different exams at varying levels of difficulty.
doesn't matter if different schools have hard exams or easy exams it still counts for half of your atar

Want90Atar

HSC
What I'm meaning to convey to OP is that, he should look at his performance comparative to his peers.
you can say that, not mention that internal raw marks don't matter cause some people here would look at your advice and decide to not try in their assessment's then wonder why their atar is shit and do not forget that the atar is a average of your internal mark, hsc mark.

laterz laterz

HSC
you can say that, not mention that internal raw marks don't matter cause some people here would look at your advice and decide to not try in their assessment's then wonder why their atar is shit and do not forget that the atar is a average of your internal mark, hsc mark.
bruh....

I think you should watch more videos on how ATAR works

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
hmm you said only internal ranks matter but how are you going to get good internal ranks without focusing on your raw marks.
If OP sat a very hard exam and got 20/50 which was third in his class at a top ranked school, he should not be discouraged.

If OP sat a very easy exam and got 20/50 which was last in his class at a bottom ranked school, he needs to make major changes to his study habits.

His raw mark needs to be contextualised by his positioning within his peer group. If not then it doesn't matter to us (the readers) in context providing advice. It's also important for him to understand that UAC only looks at internal ranks and the distance between them, not caring for raw internal marks. I wouldn't want him to be discouraged if he just had a hard set of exams.

laterz laterz

HSC
you know what i give up this is fucking confusing
internal marks do matter but that's only for having a good rank

UAC only looks at your rank and how your cohort performed in the actual HSC and then calculates the ATAR

you should probably ask your teacher or watch some videos on YouTube

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)