• Join our 2021 BoS trial exam event for Maths Ext1, Maths Ext2 and Chemistry!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Information Digital Technology vs Electrotechnology (1 Viewer)

SPP270717936]/02

HSC
1. Which subject scales better?

2. Can sit for the trials & HSC examinations with both of these category B subjects?

3. Which subject is more interesting?

4. What is maximum atar?, I see it in the column of UAC's subject scaling table 2019 which shows for Electrotechnology as: 88.05 & IDT as: 95.40. What does this mean anyway?.

Attachments

Velocifire

Razzle Dazzle
HSC
1. Which subject scales better?

2. Can sit for the trials & HSC examinations with both of these category B subjects?

3. Which subject is more interesting?

4. What is maximum atar?, I see it in the column of UAC's subject scaling table 2019 which shows for Electrotechnology as: 88.05 & IDT as: 95.40. What does this mean anyway?.
The highest ATAR that was achieved when IDT was part of their 10 UNITS was 95.40

Same can be said with Electrotechnology with 88.05 if it counted

IDT Scales better from what I’ve known from peers and other people that frequent this website that take this subject. More also get higher bands with IDT in Electrotechnology

Yes you may do both trial exams, but you still need 8 other units of Board Developed courses since both subjects you are addressing are Board Endorsed. However only ur best one of these two would count for the calculation of the ATAR.

Electrotechnology is more hands on where IDT is more sit back and regurgitate information.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The highest ATAR that was achieved when IDT was part of their 10 UNITS was 95.40

I can't answer the rest of the questions, but I wouldn't put too much merit in those specific ATAR figures. Both subjects have very small cohorts so there would be high variance in the highest ATAR achieved among each year's cohort.

SPP270717936]/02

HSC

Yeah I understand it now, Thanks for explaining. I thought it would mean like if I chose electrotechnology for example. That I would be only able to reach a maximum atar of 88 if I have electrotechnology included in my list of subjects.

Last edited:

SPP270717936]/02

HSC
I can't answer the rest of the questions, but I wouldn't put too much merit in those specific ATAR figures. Both subjects have very small cohorts so there would be high variance in the highest ATAR achieved among each year's cohort.
Oh Okay, thanks for the additional info.

SPP270717936]/02

HSC

IDT Scales better from what I’ve known from peers and other people that frequent this website that take this subject. More also get higher bands with IDT in Electrotechnology

Yes you may do both trial exams, but you still need 8 other units of Board Developed courses since both subjects you are addressing are Board Endorsed. However only ur best one of these two would count for the calculation of the ATAR.

Electrotechnology is more hands on where IDT is more sit back and regurgitate information.
So if I choose...

Standard Maths
Advanced English
Physics
Economics
IDT (VET)
Electrotechnology (VET)

So am I able to do these subjects & achieve an ATAR at the end of year 12. Whilst I keep all my 12 units?. I'm asking because I found out on the UAC guide 2020 - 21 that "No more than 2 units of Category B courses can be included in the ATAR calculation". Which would mean I would need to drop one of the VET courses I have. Is that true?.

Attachments

Velocifire

Razzle Dazzle
HSC
So if I choose...

Standard Maths
Advanced English
Physics
Economics
IDT (VET)
Electrotechnology (VET)

So am I able to do these subjects & achieve an ATAR at the end of year 12. Whilst I keep all my 12 units?. I'm asking because I found out on the UAC guide 2020 - 21 that "No more than 2 units of Category B courses can be included in the ATAR calculation". Which would mean I would need to drop one of the VET courses I have. Is that true?.
If you keep all your twelve units, then there should be no problem with you achieving an ATAR at the end of year 12, however only one of the VET courses would go towards this calculation. You just can't drop ur maths, physics or economics due to lack of category A courses.

The only liability is where you do really well in both these courses but only one of them goes, so I suggest one vet course since one of them is essentially obsolete or drop to one VET in year 12?

SPP270717936]/02

HSC
If you keep all your twelve units, then there should be no problem with you achieving an ATAR at the end of year 12, however only one of the VET courses would go towards this calculation. You just can't drop ur maths, physics or economics due to lack of category A courses.

The only liability is where you do really well in both these courses but only one of them goes, so I suggest one vet course since one of them is essentially obsolete or drop to one VET in year 12?
Oh okay, I understand what you mean that only one of those VET courses will be counted to my ATAR. Which means my subjects altogether are really only 10 units in year 12. Yeah maybe i'll add another Category A course into my subject selection & pick one VET course since you said only one of them counts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)