Influence of greek and egyption culture (1 Viewer)

lozzy52

HSC
Hey can anyone give me notes, direction in this. im writing my notes, so late, and i dont remember my teach giving us info on the influences of gree and egyptian culture in reference to art and architecture.
i have some stuff for religion but im not sure if its right coz it seems to go in the next dot point. plz help me ASAP.
Luv laurel

HSC
yea, i need help with this one too! This is all i have on it ::

* A greek did the original planning of Pompeii
* Statues – copied Greek masterpieces
* Volumes of Papyri, compromising a collection of works by Philodemus in the first century BC, were found in a Villa in 1787. These were mostly written in Greek but a few were in Latin.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
twisted_baybeeh said:
yea, i need help with this one too! This is all i have on it ::

* A greek did the original planning of Pompeii
* Statues – copied Greek masterpieces
* Volumes of Papyri, compromising a collection of works by Philodemus in the first century BC, were found in a Villa in 1787. These were mostly written in Greek but a few were in Latin.
As you suggested for the economy in the other thread, there is more than sufficient information on this in the lawless and lazer textbooks.

If I remember correctly, you mostly look at religion, architecture and the arts. E.g. the theatre had paintings of actors reflecting a Greek style that was very different to those performances actually performed there.

yasza

HSC
Religion: Egyptian influence.. from memory the Temple of Isis? the eyptian goddess...

Archtechture: (i did a speech on thie last term)
as mentioned above the layout of Pompeii and Herculanum both reflect a greek style with the patterned and ordered streets.

Greek columns used in building the temples:
3 Orders of columns:
Doric: House of silver wedding pompeii, House of tragic poet, pompeii forum (lower level
Ionic: Upper level of pompeii forum, columns surrounding temple of apollo, house of galba herculaneum.
Corinthin: Peristyle courtyards in private homes pompeii, temple fortuna augusta.

The Peristyle courtyards where also of greek influence. (Peristyle meaning open aired)

The design of the theatre in pompeii is of greek influence because it follows the lay of the land as opposed to the theatre of herculanum that is seperated structure from the ground it is built on.

hope that helped you out abit?
cheers

menelaus

HSC
yeah, mostly u r commenting on the affects on religion, architecture and the arts.

Religion:
Greek- Dionysus, Apollo.
Egyptian- Isis

Architecture:
Greek
- the different columns/styles
- the inclusion of a palaestra in the baths complexes- following the greek athletic tradition.
- theatres

Arts:
Various Egyptian and Greek mosaics- e.g. in the house of the fawn i think it is, a mosaic of the battle of alexander and darius- a replica/remake of the one found at Vergina in Greece. there is a mosaic of the nile, showing hippos, crocodiles, duck as well in one of the houses.
the philosophic traditon from Greece seen in the villa of the papyri.
Greek Poetry, e.g. graffiti found iwth lines from Homer.

satie

HSC
These are my prelim notes. Hope they help.

Toranaman

HSC
The key thing to remember with the greek influence is the helenistic art located throughout Pompeii and Herc. Have a look at the Villa of Mysteries which is very heavily influenced by greek archiecture and art. The fresco of the cupid dancing is a useful example.

For egyptian the best thing is the religion. Specifically the temple of Isis. Things such as the plaque which states that it was repaired soon after the first eruption is important as it demonstrates the importance of the temple within pompeiian society

Hope this helps:)

d91sh

HSC
i really need some notes on the temple of apollo...
for monday:(...
help plz

lola1991

HSC
hey does anyone have any notes on egyptian influence on religion on Pompeii and Herculaneum?

hshiels

HSC
Hey do you happen to still have your information about this as well as Greek and Egyptian Influences on religion?? It would be a great help if you did! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)