Industrial Chemistry Equilibrium question (1 Viewer)

banana_monkey

Better than you
HSC
fadykozman said:
bana_monkey

you are soo sad!!! Whata hell are you doin here when u finished yesterday?

by the way, the reaction IS ENDOTHERMIC, that is becasue the reaction in conq chem is in the reverse and is exothermic, please go do something else beside checking the website, u r free to go,, gooooooooooooo
I already went out last night :p

fadykozman

i guess that makes you a nerd then doesn't it, if i were you i wouldn't stay home...lol

psst (I would go to the library) :D

banana_monkey

Better than you
HSC
Question:

Nitrogen dioxide forms an equilibrium mixture with dinitrogen tetraoxide as shown

2NO2 <----> N2O4

At 25 degrees, a 1.0L vessel initially contained 0.132mon of NO2 gas. Once equilibrium had been established, there was 0.04mol of N2O4 in the vessel

Eh, workings in the bottom post. Damm double posts.

Last edited:

banana_monkey

Better than you
HSC
Question:

Nitrogen dioxide forms an equilibrium mixture with dinitrogen tetraoxide as shown

2NO2 <----> N2O4

At 25 degrees, a 1.0L vessel initially contained 0.132mon of NO2 gas. Once equilibrium had been established, there was 0.04mol of N2O4 in the vessel

Working:

2NO2 <----> N2O4

Initial 0.132 <----> 0
Change 0.08 <----> 0.04
Equilibrium 0.052 <----> 0.04

Products over reactants:
Thus (0.04)/(0.052)^2 = 14.8

Conclusion: Where the hell did you pull your numbers from? There was NO dinitrogen tetraoxide in the flask initially, it formed only AFTER equilibrium was reached. You both need to read the question.

I'm open to either of you showing your working using that set out to show how you got your numbers. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I just don't see how my working has it wrong.

banana_monkey

Better than you
HSC
Chicago said:
Dude its good to see you can read...notice how it says 0.132 mole of N02 whereas the question is concerned with 2NO2!!!!!!!!!!
And yes, I did notice that. Hence, 0.08 mols of NO2 was needed to make up 0.04 N2O4, due to the 2:1 ratio. You didn't double the 0.132 mol of NO2 inside the flask did you? The reaction is used as a guide for stoichimetry, it doesn't mean you double the amount of NO2 in the flask. Whats in there is in there, just because the reaction says there is 2NO2 doesn't mean that some how, the 0.132 mol in the flask becomes 0.264 or whatever.

I see what you've done, and I can tell you that you do not double the amount of mols inside the flask. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because I see where you are coming from but I believe what I got was correct. Let us know what you end up getting for chem, it'll be interesting to see how the markers do it.

Last edited:

seadonkey

HSC
Chicago is a stupid IDIOT... its an exothermic reaction. this is the equil did for my modelling prac n its an exothermic reaction... even look up chem textbooks... if u wanna beleieve its endo ur a stupid idiot

btw K = 14.8

seadonkey

HSC
fadykozman said:
Conquiring Chem, page 315

2NO2 <....> N2O4 is endothermic, I got the same answer as Chicago, 1.8 or 1.4 can't remember, but it was less that the value of K at 100c

chicago, you and me all the way dude!!!
u idiot ur just as stupid as Chicago

conq chem says:
N204 <---> 2 NO2 is endo
that means the reverse is exo
ie 2 NO2 <---> N204

justchillin

HSC
Xenocide said:
Um, i have a different answer to you all :p

equation of form 2A ----> B to simplify it

given info:

0.132 moles of A INITIALLY
0.04 moles of B at EQUILIBRIUM

from 2:1 mole ration, 0.08 moles of A must have reacted to form 0.04 moles of B
therefore, A at equilibirum = .132-.08

k = B/A^2
= 14.8
yep perfectly correct... surprised more people didn't get this... 1) it's easy lol
and 2) it's been in a past HSC (like 02 or smtin)

justchillin

HSC
Chicago said:
Dude its good to see you can read...notice how it says 0.132 mole of N02 whereas the question is concerned with 2NO2!!!!!!!!!!
Man the 2NO2 is just the mole ratio... there was still .132 mole added initially...

fadykozman

i am not as stupid as Chicago, at least he knows whata hell he is talkin about, not a bunch of egomaniacs who think that since i say they might be wrong then the world is flipped upside down, egghead

stupid = your mum

sarah kiss

yay i got da same answer

Yay! i got 14.8 as well i was scared that i was wrong yippee at least i got sumthang rite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)