Industrial Chem ?! (1 Viewer)

jayy100

HSC
N/A
Ok, for the first question of this option topic, what did you think/say 'X' was?

Whats your reasoning? LOL, was so thrown offf by this

umz93

HSC
Conc H2SO4

BTW will Industrial Chem scale well this year, considering how many people found it weird?

umz93

HSC
It was 3 marks, 1 mark for naming, 1 mark for explanation, 1 mark for chemical equation. So maybe/maybe not.

_deloso

HSC
Ok, for the first question of this option topic, what did you think/say 'X' was?

Whats your reasoning? LOL, was so thrown offf by this
hahaha go ahead jay100 and vent all your frustrations! :p
Conc H2SO4

BTW will Industrial Chem scale well this year, considering how many people found it weird?
hopefully it will!! but I heard some options were hard as well so I don't know.

jayy100

HSC
N/A
LOL, yeaah anyone care to explain?

Yeah option topics were lesss straight-foward than usual =\

umz93

HSC
Thats good, means all of chem will scale better :D

E

Effekt

The worst question i have ever seen, my Chemistry teacher said they screwed up and that it was a hard test.

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
The worst question i have ever seen, my Chemistry teacher said they screwed up and that it was a hard test.
I think it's fair to say that most exams this year is hard... Well not necessarily hard but just different from what is expected. I think you needed to actually know the concept to answer the question. eg equilibrium and titration and all them

jayy100

HSC
N/A
haha yeahh i found the option topic hard (even though, a few others found it relatively easy)

And why is it conc. sulfuric acid?!?!?! Does it act as a dehydrating agent or something, thereby removing the colour of the crystals??

umz93

HSC
I wrote dehydrating crystals but changed it to oxidising agent, FML. Hopefully i will still get 2 marks... And how the F would it be possible to write an equation for that :S

RANK 1

HSC
i just wrote the formula for copper 2 sulfate pentahydrate, i said x was atoms

Georgina168

HSC
I wrote NaOH because the crystals were an acid, so a titration type reaction happened in the container and turned the crystals blue. So the reaction needed a base.
Was just a wild guess!

zhuang281

HSC
  • Sealed container suggests it was keeping something out (Moisture)
  • Hydrated copper sulfate was in the bowl
  • Liquid seperate from copper sulfate so it couldnt have had a major chemical reaction with the sulfate
Ie only logical possibility out of the three substances we learnt about in Industrial Chem was Conc H2SO4 dehydration reaction.

b3kh1t

HSC
I said sulfuric acid but, I had said it was concentrated sulfuric acid in water as this will boil the water and cause it to evaporate, which will then condense into the watch glass altering the colour lol

Forev3r

HSC
I showed my chem teacher the question and she said it was water?
I think shes wrong though
I was wtf all the way home that first question got me so confused Im only expecting a 17/25 I hope it aligns to 20 or something because I hear people found the other options easy....

weber

HSC
liquid x = conc. sulfuric acid
CuSO4.5H2O(s) <=> (write conc. H2SO4 where you'd write the catalyst) CuSO4(s) + 5H2O(l)
Hydrous CuSO4 is blue and conc. sulfuric acid acts as a dehydrating agent, turning the colour of the crystals from blue to white.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
does it matter if we dont include states?

jayy100

HSC
N/A
liquid x = conc. sulfuric acid
CuSO4.5H2O(s) <=> (write conc. H2SO4 where you'd write the catalyst) CuSO4(s) + 5H2O(l)
Hydrous CuSO4 is blue and conc. sulfuric acid acts as a dehydrating agent, turning the colour of the crystals from blue to white.
This is exactly, 100% correct. I just looked it up: http://www.finishing.com/173/41.shtml (and also cross-referenced)
Thats not general knowledge, how did you know the whole equation + colour change??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)