induction q (1 Viewer)

mr.habibbi

HSC
hey all, got a q, doesn't seem too hard but i cant get LHS=RHS in last step

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I got it. I couldn't be bothered factorising the LHS. So I ended up just expanding both LHS and RHS of the equation and they equalled.

You should end up with LHS = (k+1)^2 + k^2 + {k(2k^2+1)}/3
I expanded this and it equalled the RHS expanded.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Put under common denominator and use long division.
Long division? It's just a normal induction question. subbing in the 2nd step (n=k) into 3rd step (n=k+1) shouldn't be that difficult. Just don't make any silly mistakes.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Add .

Now, each step above is reversible and so it is sufficient to prove the standard result, , to also prove the required result.
I've never seen an induction q be solved like that. I would have just done n=k n=k+1 but I guess this works as well.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
But, it can also be done by standard induction. Let's assume that part A, the case, is proven. We then have:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I've never seen an induction q be solved like that. I would have just done n=k n=k+1 but I guess this works as well.
I have the advantage of having seen the standard questions a lot of ties, so I recognise that the question took a standard result and tweaked it. The idea is that shortcuts can save you time to use on other questions, if you spot them, but no one is expected to see all the shortcuts that might exist. :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
do this since ur so smart
People posting here, whether it be fellow students, former students, Moderators, etc, do so to get help / learn and to help others. I don't know whether your comment above is directed at me or at @Life'sHard or at someone else, but in any case, I don't appreciate it.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
How do you prove this?
I'm doing tutor hw atm lmao. I'll try and give it a shot afterwards. I've seen this type of question before, so hopefully I can still crack it.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Is this from the hurlstone paper which just requires a butt-load of algebra?
Idk if it's hurlstone or not. But yeah the algebra is kinda nuts if you solve it via mathematical induction wth. Is there another way to solve this? Cause I've had to do induction twice and I'm not seeing the end of the tunnel yet.

vishnay

God
HSC
Idk if it's hurlstone or not. But yeah the algebra is kinda nuts if you solve it via mathematical induction wth. Is there another way to solve this? Cause I've had to do induction twice and I'm not seeing the end of the tunnel yet.
Check hurlstone mx2 2020 q16 (b) solution

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)