Il congiuntivo/The subjunctive (1 Viewer)

1985guy

HSC
my teacher told me that u dont use the subjunctive in situations like that
like Maria pensa di essere bella, instead of Maria pensa che lei sia bella, it even sounds a bit strange to say the second one.
and penso di andare all'universita' l'anno prossimo instead of penso che io vada all'universita' l'anno prossimo. Credo di essere un tipo simpatico, not credo che io sia un tipo simpatico. It really sounds like its over done when u say the second one.

Kakie

1985guy said:
my teacher told me that u dont use the subjunctive in situations like that
like Maria pensa di essere bella, instead of Maria pensa che lei sia bella, it even sounds a bit strange to say the second one.
and penso di andare all'universita' l'anno prossimo instead of penso che io vada all'universita' l'anno prossimo. Credo di essere un tipo simpatico, not credo che io sia un tipo simpatico. It really sounds like its over done when u say the second one.
what he sed!

alessandra

HSC
mei_ling03 said:
never use present subjunctive after 'se'

hmmm i sent grammatical notes which included il congiuntivo to this site and they still haven't posted it up!
lazy bum! hehehe
ohh can you please send them to me! thanks

daidol

HSC
hey.. does anyone have any tips for italian continuers speaking exams... ideas, questions or ways to get around getting asked a question you haven't prepared for... what's the best way to prepare for a speaking exam... aiuto per favore!

butterflybird

HSC
errr frankly the best way to get around a question you havent 'prepared' for is to know the language to the degree that you can adlib.. .meaning you just have to make sure you learn as much as you can and then practice.
however they do tend to ask similar questions and you can find lists of these in older threads from around the 2005 hsc time (i think theyre still around)
prepare a basic spiel on yourself, your hobbies, your friends, your family, your school, your job if you have one (or a spiel on why you don't have one if you dont) your future plans... yada yada
learn a few basic phrases that use impressive grammar and throw them in

that is my advice

whiteslice11

HSC
ciao tutti, anyone have any estimation about how many people r doin continuers this year? and extension italiano?

by the way the subjenctive is a mad way to impress a hsc marker but you dont wanna pver do it by sing it in simple sentences, it prevents ur writing frmo flowing naturally n just just shonks the whole thing

bassistx

HSC
Those links are dead, they no longer exist... Please update!!
I'm still confused, trying to understand the subjunctive. Our teacher doesn't want to go into it, he says it's too hard and we don't need it. I'd still like to know it :)

Also, there isn't an Italian notes download section. German, Japanese, French, etc... What happened? What about Italian and Spanish??

ital101

HSC
Is there a future form of the subjunctive or do u just use the present tense?
I've studied Italian for five years (since 2007) and for the majority of my secondary schooling. Call me Federico (not my real name). The subjunctive has four main forms.
- Present subjunctive
- Perfect subjunctive
- Imperfect subjunctive, if clause (i.e. periodo ipotetico/hypothetical statements)
- Pluperfect subjunctive

The subjunctive is going out of fashion in Italian and with Italian-Australians, particularly amongst young people. Generally it can be replaced by the indicative mood of the verb, although technically this is incorrect.

Note: In answer to your question, there is no future form of the subjunctive. There is the present subjunctive (continuers course) and then there are past subjunctive moods. There are two main future 'tenses' based on the indicative mood of the verb - simple future tense (Faro` l'esame di maturita` nel mese d'ottobre) and anterior future tense (e.g. 'I will have studied' Italian for six years).

Try to learn basic present subjunctive and some periodo ipotetico.

E.g. Credo che abbia un buon rapporto con i miei - I believe that I have a good relationship with my parents. ('I miei' literally means 'mine' but in Italy is understood to mean 'my parents')
La giornalista pensi che La Fontana sia un buonissimo ristorante - The journalist thinks that La Fountain is a great restaurant.

Il periodo ipotetico:-
In generale, non aiuto con i lavori domestici ma se avessi l'opportunita` di cucinare qualcosa, lo farei senza dubbio - In general, I don't help with the housework but if I have the opportunity to cook something, I will do it without doubt. (This periodo ipotetico statement is from member minty3038, ie Maddie)
Se non diventessi un'infermiere, poi diventerei uno chef, forse - If I don't become a (male) nurse, then perhaps I could become a chef

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)