If you aren't ranked internally first but you get the highest raw HSC mark, will you be scaled less than the person in first? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends how well those ranked in the 80’s perform in the HSC. If your internal mark is 30 and external mark is 100. You get an average of 65 which is band 3. However if your peers in the 80s range improve and everyone in that rank of 80 get their average mark up to 50% for example you included, your estimated internal mark could be 50 and external would be 100. Averaging 75 which is band 4. Jimmy can double check if what I’m saying is total garbage lol.

There is also the possibility that sammantha's Assessment Mark may end up being slightly better than expected, the likelihood of which is dependent on the moderation process/her peers' performance in their HSC exam (as you mentioned), although this is a factor beyond her control.

Getting ready for the copy/paste season 👀

chaevely_park

HSC
The mark you get in the HSC exam is yours. That will be your external mark, there's no link to ranks with this. You can be ranked 20 and get the top mark if you get it in the actual exam. However, this won't be the same as your internal mark, which is where the ranks will be factored into it. This is fair because then whoever came first in the assessments at school gets a mark linked to this performance.
Does this mean that if you bomb/underperform in your internal exams (my 4U maths trials !!! very sad), that you can "recover" and get a Band 6 in the end? I thought that the HSC marks were allocated from highest to lowest according to your internal ranks?

carrotsss

HSC
Does this mean that if you bomb/underperform in your internal exams (my 4U maths trials !!! very sad), that you can "recover" and get a Band 6 in the end? I thought that the HSC marks were allocated from highest to lowest according to your internal ranks?
Only half of your mark is allocated like that (well it’s slightly more complicated but pretty much), making up your internal mark. However, the other 50%, your ‘external mark’, is completely dependent on how you perform in the actual hsc exam.

As long as your ranking isn’t awful, it’s still more than possible to get a band 6 so long as you perform sufficiently well in the hsc exam. Basically what I’m saying is, yes, you just need to make sure you ace that hsc exam!

Good luck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)