idk what selective schools i should apply to for (1 Viewer)

libestraumno3

HSC
ok so im currently in year 9 hoping to apply into a selective school for year 10 2022

im a straight A student, GPA of 5.0, DUX of my grade since year 7 and running...., im in the volleyball team, debating team, art club. i do piano and clarinet etc.
im not from a selective school though. i also haven't done any external academic comps like ICAS or something like duke of ed since my school doesnt provide that.

what school should i go for?

quickoats

HSC
Honestly the region you live in might be something you really want to consider e.g. if you are in the south west, I wouldn’t recommend Penrith/Girra - rather I would recommend Hurlstone even though the others rank a bit higher for convenience sake.

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
Honestly the region you live in might be something you really want to consider e.g. if you are in the south west, I wouldn’t recommend Penrith/Girra - rather I would recommend Hurlstone even though the others rank a bit higher for convenience sake.
Yeah, Depends on where u live tbh. But I suggest tryying out for Penrith, Girra and Baulko.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
ok so im currently in year 9 hoping to apply into a selective school for year 10 2022

im a straight A student, GPA of 5.0, DUX of my grade since year 7 and running...., im in the volleyball team, debating team, art club. i do piano and clarinet etc.
im not from a selective school though. i also haven't done any external academic comps like ICAS or something like duke of ed since my school doesnt provide that.

Suppose you moved to a selective school and were suddenly not only not first, but not in the top 10 (say)... would you find that stressful / upsetting? would it be a challenge to compete harder, etc? I ask because the selective school environment suits some people and not others. Just because a student has the ability to handle a selective school doesn't mean that s/he is necessarily suited to the environment.

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
Suppose you moved to a selective school and were suddenly not only not first, but not in the top 10 (say)... would you find that stressful / upsetting? would it be a challenge to compete harder, etc? I ask because the selective school environment suits some people and not others. Just because a student has the ability to handle a selective school doesn't mean that s/he is necessarily suited to the environment.
Spitting facts.

laterz laterz

HSC
happened with me last year lol

HSC

try out for Penrith its great although you probably will be placed in the lowest ranked classes since you came late to the school

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
happened with me last year lol
If you learned something about what learning environments suit you then you gained something of value, even if the experience was difficult / painful.

For example, some people enjoy winning at any cost, take satisfaction in others losing, and love to hurl mud in all directions. The rest of us avoid careers in politics. :)

libestraumno3

HSC
honestly it would probably make me doubt myself at first but thats kinda the point. you're at a school with other smart kids, and some way beyond your knowledge, ig it would kinda motivate me to study more?????
and i just generally wanna move schools so its fine either way

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
You sound like an independent high achiever. Living in the Hills area, Baulkham Hills HS would probably be the closest SHS to you. If you have to travel far, it may be difficult to keep up your many worthwhile interests. That’s the main reason why my kids, who were offered Yr 7 SHS places, ended up attending our local high school. In the end, having a full CV and a range of different experiences likely even advantaged my eldest in her med school applications.

libestraumno3

HSC
You could try for Hornsby Girls, or if you're scared about the competition try out for a lower ranked selective and you'll still be at/very near the top. Also, ur only in Year 9 so you've got heaps of opportunities.
yeah thanks I wouldn't want to wait when I don't have as many opportunities. hornsby seems pretty decent, its just the travel time I'm concerned of

libestraumno3

HSC
You sound like an independent high achiever. Living in the Hills area, Baulkham Hills HS would probably be the closest SHS to you. If you have to travel far, it may be difficult to keep up your many worthwhile interests. That’s the main reason why my kids, who were offered Yr 7 SHS places, ended up attending our local high school. In the end, having a full CV and a range of different experiences likely even advantaged my eldest in her med school applications.
thank you this was very helpful, I am quite attached to my extracurricular activities

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
thank you this was very helpful, I am quite attached to my extracurricular activities
I do, however, agree with CM_Tutor’s advice about trying different environments, so because of your expressed interest, up thread, to try a different school, I encourage you to still try out for the SHSs. A few kids at our local high school tried out SHSs and private schools. After a term to a year, they realised either that the environment didn’t suit or it wasn’t worth the commute/money, but they were pleased that they had the experiences to make up their minds. One of them stayed on at the SHS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)