i bet no one did POLISH continuers!! (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You don't understand. There are schools that teach Latin because Latin is popular and, scaling-wise, very good for your portfolio. Polish is neither, but people do it out of interest.

Not to say it's not worth doing, just that less people do it because there's little BOS derived incentive (other than a potentially excellent performance).

Anyway, I didn't say that schools can't teach Polish. I said they don't.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Errr my friend (Agnes knows her) did Polish cont. She went to Ashfield or something for Saturday school... so yeah, there you go! :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Nancy! We were referring to normal high schools offering it as an option for the year 12 portfolio, not Saturday schools. :p
Originally posted by Hottieflossy
are you ever lost for words? no, dont answer that
With a vocabulary like mine? ;)

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
i'm sure someone out there did...did u have to go to saturday school to study it?
yah i do it at ashfield boys.
i go to saturday school at ashfield as well but not for polish
wat language?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Most foreigners speak English with strange accents. Most English speakers speak English with a "weird" accent, look at the Americans! :p

But yeah, English is extremely regional and terribly inconsistent in pronunciation.

Hottieflossy

its pretty obvious to most people that foreigners speak english with a weird accent....her accent only makes her sound really posh which she isnt...and for some reason she liked to tell us off in english and didnt make much sense.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It's likely that your teacher began learning English in the British system (not surprising, as most Europeans learn this way) but didn't go too far after the pronunciation classes. When people do this they gain half a BBC (English RP) accent without the proper phoneme manipulation that should go with it. Then they sound posh and uneducated at the same time. :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh, I made the assumption that she was Spanish.

Is her accent more geared to British (English RP) or American? Because if it's RP then it's likely she got her accent from the BBC international service (the only contemporary use of the RP). If American then I have no idea, anyone can teach "Eeenglish" over there. :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so, i suppose no one else on this forum did polish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)