Human Story Option (1 Viewer)

Wakely

HSC
I thought the whole paper was groovy up until i got to the Human Story option! What on EARTH is maternal mitochondrial DNA?!?!? My whole grade (who does biology) came out of the exam asking the same question. I don't think our teacher's even mentioned it before! I just made up some crap which sounded a lot like DNA-DNA hybridisation and moved on.

Other than those 2 questions, though, I thought it was alright...

HSC
Mitochondrial DNA was on the syllabus under the 2nd dot point with karyotype analysis the only thing that put me off was how to perform the analysis so i just talked bout dna-dna hybridisation and observiing microscopes....

It was a pretty good paper though

cj_426

HSC
i thought the human story option was pretty good............actually heasp easier than our trial one.
for the mitochondrial DNA, it just means that its the DNA foudn int he cell organnelles of the female......cince the ovum carries them.....so i just talked about how it can be traced back to one woman who was thought to have lived in africa 200 000 yrs ago callled "mitochondrial eve" , which therefore supports the thoery of human evolution blah blah.

with the analyse quest....which i thought was also pretty straight forward, i talked about the technologies mentioned in the sylabus, such as DNA hybridisation, karyotype anaylisis and comparison of haemoglobin and how all these tests prove that chimps and humans are the closest evolutinary relationship, and increasing tech is conitnuaing to support that.....blah blah.

I found the last quest a bit unfair, in that they asked for a specific homo species, but i kinda figured it out from the digram......hope its right!!

HSC
Yea the 7 mark quest was alrite enough to write bout but it was the same as like 2 yrs ago....

What did u put for the last question regional contiuity theory...??

Terumoto

HSC
A lot of people from my grade had the same problem... Many knew what it was for the 1 mark question, but had no idea about the 5 marker.

cj_426

HSC
lil_georgie_gal said:
Yea the 7 mark quest was alrite enough to write bout but it was the same as like 2 yrs ago....

What did u put for the last question regional contiuity theory...??
yea i chose to support the theory of regional continuity as i figured it was easier to give evidence on. not sure if i'll get the full 4 marks in that quest, but i just talked bout how the four homo genus's who lived most recently.....lived int he same time period, so it refutes the out of africa theory, and also how they were found to live at the same time but on different continents, so they coul'nt have evolved out of africa, because it would've taken them longer to migrate to other continents. i just talked bout that and expanded, couldn't think of nething else, and because all my other quest were in such detail, and took me ages to write, i was running out of time, so i just wrote bout half a page on that stuff. hope to get around 3/4 for that one.
what about u guys??

adrian_1522

HSC
ahh crap! I accidentally did BOTH!! stupid! stupid! stupid!...didn't read the qn properly lol! owels I did heaps on both so...maybe i might get one or two...:( appart from that twas a good option ...btw, for the MtDNA, the procedure was secondary sources & all that stuff....thats what my teacher said neways...

Terumoto

HSC
I thought thats what it said as well?

Explain how the presence of aferensiensis (or whatever it was) can support the out of africa theory OR the regional continuity theory...

I thought it was asking for us to explain how and why it can support both, not pick one and support it.

Oh well, nothing you can do about a badly worded question.

HSC
Yea the quest was badly worded when i read it in reading time i thought it meant both models but the OR i just picked the regional continuity theory.... I dont know if i wrote enoough for 4 marks though i just wrote bout how it supported the theory and provided further evidence for the existing evidence such as peking man (china) etc

Wakely

HSC
adrian_1522 said:
ahh crap! I accidentally did BOTH!! stupid! stupid! stupid!...didn't read the qn properly lol! owels I did heaps on both so...maybe i might get one or two...:( appart from that twas a good option ...btw, for the MtDNA, the procedure was secondary sources & all that stuff....thats what my teacher said neways...
Hahaha... I Thought it was both as well! Oh well, it seems a few people did. I just put how both could've applied in this case.... Hopefull I'll get a couple of marks just for the knowledge :D

ScOoBy666

HSC
Yeh i started off supporting the 'Out of Africa' model, but then reread the question and thought decided it was asking to show how the diagram can support either one of the models. So yeh i did both.... i want to know if im wrong or right dammit!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)