Hsc At Tafe? (1 Viewer)

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Open Uni's have business degrees from Monash and Swinburne and a commercial/sporting law one from, can't remember. Seriously, spend the next year moving forward, not re-doing something that may or may not have an effect.

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
i thought this thread was pro going to tafe?, seriously blerkles im not going to get anywhere near the uai i need to get into the commerce degreee i want to :( , and i really feel this as an opportunity to take a step back in order to take two steps forward if you get what i mean. Im absolutely certain i will be able to attain the uai i need 85 and over if i do this at tafe, also talking to my career advisor at school she also thinks that it should be ok for me to do it if i REallly think i can!....

but it will have an effect and a very big one, if i do go do a lower course trying to transfer will be alot harder plus will take more time than just using up one year..?

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Lower course?? How much more impressive would it be for the uni of your choice if you have done first year in a Bachelor of Commerce (Commercial Law) from Curtin University (through Open Uni) than if you re-did HSC to get a pretty number? The reason I push this point is that the HSC is not an ideal reflector of how things are at uni, but it's the best they've got to rank the Year 12's. Spoon feeding enough and regurgitating it well can get you good marks in the HSC, but uni requires independent thought and discussion. I believe doing uni at a non-ideal uni is a better indicator of success at your ideal uni than the HSC could be.

If you want to go the TAFE path, why not look at doing an Accounting Cert IV then Diploma which should knock some credit off the commerce degree you are after? Or some retail management or logistics programs?

labito

HSC
so i can focus on 2 subjects for the hsc this year, fail 3 of them, get a crap uai

then next year at tafe i do those 3 subjects again, i am able to combine them with the 2 subjects i did good in from year 12, and get a good uai?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
eternalsoul6 said:
but it will have an effect and a very big one, if i do go do a lower course trying to transfer will be alot harder plus will take more time than just using up one year..?
There is no such thing as a lower course, thats a myth perpetuated by highschool students who, funnily enough, don't go to university. UAC cares not which uni you transfer from nor does the university which you want to transfer into, nobody does, it is your uni marks they care about. You'd also gain credit from the studies you did in the other degree which means you wouldn't be finishing a year later like you would if you repeated your HSC. So it will take less time for you.

As an aside, if it really bothers you, the fact that it is from Open Universities doesn't appear on your transcript as you are listed as a Curtin student (or MQ or Swinburne depending on the degree).

The majority of people also get the marks to get into UWS' commerce degree so you would do well to check out that option as well if you're fairly anxious about your future.

labito said:
so i can focus on 2 subjects for the hsc this year, fail 3 of them, get a crap uai

then next year at tafe i do those 3 subjects again, i am able to combine them with the 2 subjects i did good in from year 12, and get a good uai?
Alternatively you could just make a good go of it this year. You can use subject scores from previous years in your UAI so yes this year's subjects can count, your latest attempt at a subject is the only one accounted for though so you could conceivably get a lower mark by repeating. Just try your best this year and see what happens.

redox

HSC
Hello, would appreciate some advice.

I've done year 11, I'm thinking of doing my entire HSC (all 10 units) next year in 1 year, is this possible? Only asking because it seems like everyone's only doing a couple of subjects, or spreading it out over more years. Any recommendations, will I be right to just show up on the information day in January and it'll be right from there? I'd hate for there to be any issues and whup, there goes another year down the drain :p Gymea tafe seems to have all my subjects...

Also, about this TPC thing, some have said it's worth doing, but I'm worried as to whether it's really as widely acknowledged as the HSC. Is it really accepted everywhere, and is there any possibility I might regret having done it instead of the HSC?

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
redox said:
Hello, would appreciate some advice.

I've done year 11, I'm thinking of doing my entire HSC (all 10 units) next year in 1 year, is this possible? Only asking because it seems like everyone's only doing a couple of subjects, or spreading it out over more years. Any recommendations, will I be right to just show up on the information day in January and it'll be right from there? I'd hate for there to be any issues and whup, there goes another year down the drain :p Gymea tafe seems to have all my subjects...
It's possible for you to do all ten units irrespective of you completing year 11 as it contains some of the prelim components as well. Most people choose not to do the HSC in one year as it is essentially done in 30 weeks at TAFE and cramming the entire thing in can be a tad stressful if you haven't done it before. Considering you've done year 11 already then I'd say you're good to go with the one year thing if you wanna put in the whole nine yards. So just rock up on the info day, the TAFE staff wil talk you through everything.
Also, about this TPC thing, some have said it's worth doing, but I'm worried as to whether it's really as widely acknowledged as the HSC. Is it really accepted everywhere, and is there any possibility I might regret having done it instead of the HSC?
It's worth doing if it's right for you - remember that the TPC and the HSC are very different things. The TPC is far more research based than the HSC which is more about exams, it also has a slightly different range of subjects which can again influence someone's decision; it has a less extensive mathematics program, it doesn't support the same range of creative subjects (Music, Drama, English Ext 2 for e.g) and it has a much smaller range of languages to study. In other areas it is stronger - the science subjects for example are much more rigorous, my biology teacher (who taught both HSC and TPC) referred to TPC sciences as 'requiring actual effort'. I think there are also a couple of subjects in the TPC which aren't done in the HSC (if IIRC there is one about learning skills)

On the acknowledgement bit ... while the HSC is undeniably more well known than the TPC, neither will be worth the paper they're printed on once you're in university. No employer will care about what you studied in school, they'll just care about your degree, work experience etc.

As for actual acceptance by the universities, UAC generates something called a 'TES' for TPC students which is pretty much the same deal as a UAI except it has different initials. I am pretty sure it's accepted by most, if not all, universities simply because it's accepted by UAC. I can't tell you how it works with cut-offs though.

And I did most of my HSC at Gymea TAFE - what subjects are you planning on doing there?

Last edited:

redox

HSC
Cheers for that.

Subjects would be: 2 unit mathematics, english advanced, modern history, chemistry and physics.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
redox said:
Cheers for that.

Subjects would be: 2 unit mathematics, english advanced, modern history, chemistry and physics.
Ah, I think you'll like the english, history and chemistry teachers there - they're quite good. You won't have any clashes with those choices I don't think.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
The way in which the TES is calculated and compared to the UAI is that UAC add together you three best subjects, and divide by 3.
For example, a TPC studied the following subjects, and received marks indicated:

Further Mathematics in Context (General Mathematics) (99%)
Biology B (88%)
English (65%
Statistics (94%)
Chemistry (75%)

3 highest scoring subjects are FMIC (99%), Biology B (88%) and Statistics (94%).
To calculate the TES, add them together:

99 + 88 + 94 = 281/300
Now divide by three to calculate the UAI equivalent:
281/3 = 93.6UAI

Kami, is it possible to complete the full HSC at TAFE within 1 year? Furthermore I understand TAFE squeeze 12 preliminary units into the first 6 months, and than 10 HSC units into the following few months; do TAFE HSC students sit the same examination dates as secondary school students, and would it be possible to obtain a predicted UAI during July if completing the HSC in 1 year, at TAFE?

I'm looking at all options to gain admission to medicine and the TAFE HSC is certainly one of them.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
AFAIK, you don't need to do the prelim units @ TAFE. Once at school is good enough.

And yeah, you can do it in on year as long as you focus on the HSC courses.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Bacilli said:
Kami, is it possible to complete the full HSC at TAFE within 1 year? Furthermore I understand TAFE squeeze 12 preliminary units into the first 6 months, and than 10 HSC units into the following few months; do TAFE HSC students sit the same examination dates as secondary school students, and would it be possible to obtain a predicted UAI during July if completing the HSC in 1 year, at TAFE?

I'm looking at all options to gain admission to medicine and the TAFE HSC is certainly one of them.
Most TAFE HSC classes would get the prelim knocked over in six or seven weeks and a handful of courses will simply skim over it; English Advanced being an example due to the prelim being composed entirely by the teacher's whims. So you'd be doing prelim and HSC combined in about 30 weeks of study (with some breaks in between). All HSC candidates sit the same exam, irrespective of studying through school, TAFE or correspondence so the time frame ends up being similar. As for the predicted UAI, I guess it depends on the head of the HSC department, some may do it and others might simply stare blankly at you.

Shaunae

HSC
is it possible to take 10-12 units in a year in tafe?
I read that they suggest the applicants to only enroll maximal 3 subjects
I want to repeat my HSC all of them but i dont want to repeat it in one year

and how is the system of the marking?
for the internal especially,are we compared to another student in the class that we currently attend or to another student in another class with the same subject?
You know,the night class,because I know they have the same assesment as we are

are we compared to another student in the same subject in another TAFE as well for internal mark?
thanks

Ocoth

HSC
Please note: All of this is in regards to the Preliminary and HSC when completed together in one year through TAFE NSW.

Yes, it is. It may depend on the campus, institution and coordinators as to how willing they are to let you do it though.

I am currently doing my HSC at the Newcastle Campus and I'm in my second year.

In my first year at TAFE (2006) I did 6 units - Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.

This year (2007) I am doing 11 units - Biology, English (Advanced), Legal Studies, Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Studies of Religion.

I am repeating Mathematics as I wasn't totally satisfied with my mark last year. I am doing more units than I need to (15) partially for personal interest (Studies of Religion) and partly because I decided I was interested in a high UAI course at the beginning of the year and wanted to try and lift my UAI chances.

When I went to enrol in 11 units this year, the coordinator thought I was a bit insane (or something similar), as did many other people. I had him the previous year for Mathematics, so it wasn't as though it was his first exposure to me. I'm ranked first or second in all of my subjects this year, so it managed to work with my "insanity" to some degree!

(Also, I was enrolling in English (Advanced) and Mathematics Extension 1 which ran at the same time for one lesson per week, so that was a bit of an issue! I decided that since I'm more of a Maths person than an English one, that I'd attend English instead of Maths Ext 1 for that lesson. The Maths Ext 1 teacher is really nice, so she photocopied board notes and examples for me, and made sure I had everything the others received, and was willing to stay behind after classes to explain things and help me.)

You can enrol in anything from only one subject, up to as many as physically possible (I think). For HSC and UAI purposes, the current year and the previous four years of subjects count, and if you repeat the latest (not the highest) attempt at that subject counts (as far as I know). For preliminary you still need 12 units, however if you did it through school that will still count if it is within the required timeframe. Since preliminary doesn't have a mark (as far as I know), it doesn't matter if they are the same subjects as you do in the HSC or not, as long as there is at least 12 units of them. You'll be given preliminary for a subject after completing the first term of HSC at TAFE anyway, as long as you attend and complete assessments.

It costs roughly around $300/year for 1-3 subjects/year, and $600/year for 4+ subjects/year (maxing out with the timetable limitations I think!). (I think that's right!)

When it comes to marking, it is just like at school. Think of each TAFE campus as a different school (or at least that is my experience, maybe in Sydney they pool the campuses assessments but I somehow doubt that, although I could be wrong!).

So for me, my assessment rank is for the Newcastle Campus of the Hunter Institute of TAFE NSW.

Classes are just like at school - if there are two classes, then you are all grouped together for ranking. Same with TAFE, the day class(es) and evening class(es) are all treated as one group for assessment ranking.

In Biology this year, for instance, I was in the evening class. The teachers put up a ranking throughout the year after each assessment for the assessment and overall, ranking all students in the subject at the campus regardless of whether they were day or evening. (This was the only subject to so openly rank us!)

In terms of marking itself, the HSC is done by standards-based marking (as far as I know) and so it is possible for the highest ranked person not to have all that high a mark!

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
hi, thx for the answers :)
that answers my questions as well
Will they say absolutely no to future student who wants to do like 10-12 units in one year?
I knew from my friend that this course is not based on selection. You just need to attend the information session in the beginning of the year then enroll straight away.
Can I just ask the coordinator to allow me to do 12 units so if I failed in some units in preliminary stage then I would drop them?

and could you tell me what marks did you get in 2006?

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
I've accepted the fact that I won't be reaching my full potential this year in my HSC. I'll do the subjects I have to (perhaps all!) repeat and cram them into 1 year if it kills me lol. I'll know all of the stuff anyway, it'd just be revision, really. And I'm not doing any extention units.

I want to get into Bradfield badly. It'll talk a 45min drive for me, or up to 2 hours by train & bus. I'll make sure I get my Ps by then.. I already have a car.

I read 10 pages of this thread and I can't possibly read anymore lol. Especially since it's outdated by now. But I have 3 questions (sorry if they have been asked before).

1. What about Languages? Nobody has mentioned languages. As far as I know, Saturday School of Community Languages doesn't contribute anything towards your UAI. It'd have to be through Open High School (which I'd prefer anyway). But you have to do the prelim and HSC in one year... I talked to Frances Selby (OHS Co-ordinator & Enrolment person thingy) and she said you can't compress beginner-level language into 1 year. So as long as I am accepted into Spanish Beginners for the prelim this year and do the HSC next year with TAFE (accelerating Italian as I am a continuer - so I go straight to the HSC course), I should be fine, right? If I don't get accepted into Spanish Beginners for whatever reason, is it possible to cram the prelim and HSC courses for a BEGINNERS language in 1 year through OTEN or the like?

2. This might seem dumb lol but OTEN contributes towards a UAI, doesn't it?? :S

3. Is youth allowance considered a fee exemption? The only exemptions I have read about are pensions.

Cheers

Doomah

HSC
dude you still got 08 to improve your grades???

doesnt HSC marks dont start accumulating still the start of 08. i.e preliminary marks (yr 11 marks from 07 dont count??)

YOU STILL GOT HEAPS OF TIME TO START A FRESH AND GET A REAL DECENT UAI AND REACH YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.

dont stuff up this year thinking you are going to repeat anyway.

p.s looking at your subject in your signature, are you not missing a math subject? you need to do a math subject to qualify for a UAI.

you really need to talk to a carrers advisor at your school and tell them about your goals and aspirations and ask them how to get there.

if your intention is to go to tafe hsc in 09 regardless, you may aswell go to tafe NOW.

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
It's too late to enrol into TAFE now for the HSC. I'd rather just sit it out, learn everything.. So next year nothing will come as a surprise.

You don't need mathematics to get a UAI, it is not a compulsory subject. The only compulsory subject is English for the HSC. If it is different for the HSC through TAFE, please let me know. I dropped from 2unit maths to general maths last year and at the beginning of this year, I dropped maths altogether. If I must take math, I need to catch up real bad. I don't think I have to do it though??

I got 70% for a business studies assessment.
76.6% for an english assessment.
I don't know what I've gotten for visual arts yet. But the highest was 16/20 and the lowest was 2 or 3. So you can imagine how anxious I feel.

I don't think I'm going to do well. I'll try. But I know I won't get a UAI of 90 or over. I only need 75 to get into the course I want, but apart from scholarship opportunities (awarded to highest UAIs), it's very personal. I feel like if I don't succeed in the HSC, I'll keep failing my entire life. It's ridiculous, I know, but it's important to show myself and everybody else that I CAN take my study seriously. Even if it means repeating it.

Doomah

HSC
how is 09 going to be any different from 08? you've already decided you are going to repeat even before you have done it.

you still got 08 to start a fresh. its a new year. you get a decent tutor and you can learn the HSC syllabus even in 6 months. its not that hard. you've still got a full year and start from scratch.

its all about your attitude.

you seem to think something is going to miraculously change in 09. In tafe there is always late entry. enrollments was like yesterday, unless its 100% full, you still can get in

your like a lot of students, you want good marks, but then don't put the work in to actually get it.

you can only learn so much from just watching the teachers presentation. That is called "passive" learning.

Listening to the teacher teach you something for the 2nd time isn't going to help you, unless you actually do the work yourself.

you learn when you ACTUALLY go home and practice, make mistakes and know where your mistakes are and then redoing it again - thats called "active" learning.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)