HSC 2020 Q20 (1 Viewer)

oztone

HSC
First, determine if DB is vertical in either view. If, for example, it is vertical in the side view, then the rule applies that it is in TL in the front view.

HOWEVER, given that BD is not vertical in either the side or the front view, it means that its TL needs to be determined by some simple descriptive geometry. Your teacher would have taught you how to find the TL of a line, right?

There are a few methods. One method would be to rotate DB in, say, the front view. Do this by placing the compass point on B, open up compass to point D (in the same view) and draw an arc so that D is directly vertically above B (in the front view). Call this new point D2 .

Draw a horizontal line from D2 to where it lies directly above D in the side view. Draw a (very short) vertical line from D (in the side view) until it hits that horizontal line from D2. That point of intersection is the new point D. We'll call it D3

Measure B to D3 (in the side view). That's your TL
Sorry, I don't have the instruments.

Vall

HSC
yea use what oztone said (you'll need to print the question out to measure it with your compass). Also its cool to finally spot another engo student on here - like literally no-one does this subject.

Sina Hafezi Masoomi

HSC
Yea, glad to know there is still students doing the subject. I don't know why more students pick engineering.

Sina Hafezi Masoomi

HSC
So, I followed the instructions and got 7.7m as BD. I am assuming its inaccuracy. The way I calculated was take the length of DC in the side view (66mm) and divide that by 6.5, so 6.5/66 = 13/132. Then measure from D3 to B in the side view (78mm), the multiplied by the factor 13/132 and got 7.7m.

Attachments

Vall

HSC
So, I followed the instructions and got 7.7m as BD. I am assuming its inaccuracy. The way I calculated was take the length of DC in the side view (66mm) and divide that by 6.5, so 6.5/66 = 13/132. Then measure from D3 to B in the side view (78mm), the multiplied by the factor 13/132 and got 7.7m.
Yea when I did it I got 7.65m. Maybe they purposely made the drawing a little off (or we’re just bad).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)