Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petition! (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Re: Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petiti

Katey, did you not read the newsletter "You and your UAI" ?
As tommykins requested, you should have posted your assessment rankings because the UAI is a rank, not a mark.
You could receive all 70's in your subjects but still get a UAI around the 50's because you were ranked around the middle or below your courses.

blacktea- said:
I'm doing an accelarated IPT course at the moment, it might be because of the subjects you chose? subjects like IPT scale you down T_T
Not if you receive a Band 6. :)
I did a combination of "low-scaling" and "high-scaling" subjects and received a very high UAI because of:

patty4848 said:
I will admit, you have been scaled badly, however signing a petition is going to do absolutely nothing. There is no possible way that UAC or the BOS will get rid of the scaling system...

Here's a scenario...
Bob goes to a selective school where he is an average student. Selective schools have much higher standards that most other schools and therefore your marks are going to reflect that. Bob spends day in day out studying for his in-school assessment mark and receives 70% and is ranked in the middle of a school group who are all some of the best in the state.

Frank, however, goes to a crappy school filled with people who don't care, don't try, or are just pretty dumb. This schools tests will reflect the students intelligence, and therefore be easier (to a degree) than that of the selective school. Frank doesn't study and gets 80% and is ranked at the top of his grade

Now here's my question...If there were no scaling system, they would receive their raw marks for their in-school assessment, do you think this is fair???

The scaling system is in place to not only distinguish those at the top, but to also enable people to be compared to other people across the state, because that is what your UAI is...A RANK! If you are really not happy with your UAI, then do your HSC again, and get marks that are going to distinguish you...Your music mark was fantastic, however 70s for the other subjects will put you in the lower region of each subject across the state. If you got in the 80s however, your UAI will reflect this, hence being much higher.
I was in Frank's situation except I studied.
In the best 10 units of my courses, I came in the top 18% in all of them and this was reflected in my UAI.
The UAI is a rank.

kevinant

HSC
Re: Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petiti

Kati...I felt a bit sorry for you when i read this
to be honest, I think you do not have enough understanding of the UAI and scaling process
Your UAI has nothing to do with the board of studies, UAC is the one who calculates the UAI
If the scaling system is removed the whole HSC system would be a mess.. this will get everyone to choose easy subject such as General maths over harder extension subjects to gain high raw mark...and create a complete mess, therefore your system will not work.

HSC

Wow, you really have nfi, do you Katey?

And I really hope, for your sake, that you're a troll.

Drmon

Optimistic Cynic
HSC
To be completely honest, I'm torn on this.

I think that for the marks you recieved it was quite unfair to give you a 50s UAI, but I guess that reflects just how competitive the state is now, and how important it is to "play the system".

HOWEVER...
It is becomming critically important to know which subjects are scaled better then others for whatever reason. You should pick a majority of these subjects and perhaps one or two of the ones you want to do (Regardless of what the teachers tell you - scaling DOES hurt you). Then again, be careful when doing that - I did business studies this year and that result hurt me a lot in my final UAI.

The HSC has become a game of strategy from the very beginning now, and those doing all the Uni research before year 11 definately have an advantage in knowing this. I was lucky to be in a competitive school and people taught me what I needed to do to ensure a higher UAI. (80+)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Drmon said:
To be completely honest, I'm torn on this.

I think that for the marks you recieved it was quite unfair to give you a 50s UAI, but I guess that reflects just how competitive the state is now, and how important it is to "play the system".

HOWEVER...
It is becomming critically important to know which subjects are scaled better then others for whatever reason. You should pick a majority of these subjects and perhaps one or two of the ones you want to do (Regardless of what the teachers tell you - scaling DOES hurt you). Then again, be careful when doing that - I did business studies this year and that result hurt me a lot in my final UAI.

The HSC has become a game of strategy from the very beginning now, and those doing all the Uni research before year 11 definately have an advantage in knowing this. I was lucky to be in a competitive school and people taught me what I needed to do to ensure a higher UAI. (80+)
It's better to do well in subjects that don't scale highly than to do poorly in subjects that do.

Drmon

Optimistic Cynic
HSC
Good point. I guess what I was trying to say was to put a large preference towards high scaling subjects which you still have potential in, rather then lower scaling UAI courses of which you perhaps a slight increased interest in.

DON'T pick Extension Maths 2 if you struggle with general, for example - but I thought that went without saying, heh.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Drmon said:
DON'T pick Extension Maths 2 if you struggle with general, for example - but I thought that went without saying, heh.
You'd be surprised at how remarkably uncommon comon sense is.

To the thead starter: how exactly do you think this will end? Even if the Board of Studies had the power to change your UAI - which they don't - do you really think they would do so based on the fact that you think you were treated unfairly? They'd probably give you a list of good reasons as to why you got the mark you did, but they wouldn' change it. Because if they did change your UAI, they'd have to review every single UAI of every single student who felt they were hard done-by, which would probably be ever student who didn't get the mark they were hoping to get.

Your best bet is to consider your options from here - and believe me, there are a lot of them - rather than wasting time with a damn fool crusade.

Last edited:

blakegman

HSC
N/A
little albert said:
Subjects such as music, visual arts, food tech are just as challenging and quite often more time consuming then some of the subjects that are ranked higher.

....................... no

hunter1

Evolution is a mystery
HSC

Lmao - Where id Katey go?

ashleypage

HSC

hunter1 said:
Lmao - Where id Katey go?
I have a feeling she didn't get the response she wanted and so abandoned her cause.
Thank god.

ConjOB

HSC

ari89 said:
UAI = Rank
Shit UAI = Majority of people are smarter than you
people with shit uai's are the most victimised people.

p.s. a number from a mediated system dont mean your smart, no matter how hard you try to take comfort in that number they gave you.

ashleypage

HSC

ConjOB said:
people with shit uai's are the most victimised people.

p.s. a number from a mediated system dont mean your smart, no matter how hard you try to take comfort in that number they gave you.
I've never ever seen a person with a poor UAI victimised, it's the people who get poor UAI's and then whinge about it that get themselves into trouble, and for obvious reasons.
There's no arguing with the fact that a low UAI means that the majority of people performed better than you, whether it was a mixture of a large amount of effort or natural ability, they still managed and obviously that has to have something to do with intelligence.
I can't really see an illiterate person getting a 90's UAI.

ConjOB

HSC
"That you Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a f***ing dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us."

Oh and i found some subjects e.g. business studies a shit load easyer than say food tech. Correctly scaling is rubbish hence why everyone feels ripped off. I found english ALOT easyer than food tech, pd etc. Different people different opinions and they will never be able to create a fair system because its impossible.

To the person who started the tread, stop crying and get over it. Do a lil extra work and you will get where you want anyways and UAI wont mean shit.

p.s. i got a uai of 55.25, so dont bother saying your just arrogant etc.

p.p.s. HSC: 2006 - not exactly screaming "im actually pretty smart" to me.

Ajuddie

HSC

It's ok, I shouldn't have wasted my time on people who are just plainly rude and arrogant and i'm not aiming this at conjob or the other few nice people who actually had something worthwhile to say I'm aiming it at the people who have nothing better to do with their time but to make smartass and smug comments to bring other people down to make themselves feel better.

So you know your personal attacks they don't effect me, and karma is a bitch and I know you will get whats coming to you so I have comfort in that. :)

So I tried, I'm not gonna worry.

miraj

mr.47
HSC

Is music not a b catagory subject. B catogory subjects are usually scalled down . I think u guys have been a bit harsh on Ajuddie. I understand her fustrations. if most of ur bands are below 5 then you will get a crap mark. getting band 6 in music is good but i suppose alot of other people also got good marks in music and it a B subject i think.

I did my HSC in 2006 and got 40, so i understand
Ajuddie fustrations bro. but i redid the HSC again this year (2007) and got 74.15.

HSC 2006
2 unit maths- 67
English (standard) -68
Bio-60
IT (B subject)- 60
IPT-68

HSC 2007
2 unit maths- 81
English (standard) - 73
Bio- 80
IT (B subject)- 79
IPT- 81

Nousiainen

HSC
N/A

Why do B subjects even exist? So silly. I got into my first preference at USYD, and the scaling didn't affect me too adversely, but it seems so silly to assume one subject is inferior, another is superior and then lower people because of that reason. Not everybody wants to be a Scientist.

IM-KHALIDY

HSC

miraj said:
Is music not a b catagory subject. B catogory subjects are usually scalled down . I think u guys have been a bit harsh on Ajuddie. I understand her fustrations. if most of ur bands are below 5 then you will get a crap mark. getting band 6 in music is good but i suppose alot of other people also got good marks in music and it a B subject i think.

I did my HSC in 2006 and got 40, so i understand
Ajuddie fustrations bro. but i redid the HSC again this year (2007) and got 74.15.

HSC 2006
2 unit maths- 67
English (standard) -68
Bio-60
IT (B subject)- 60
IPT-68

HSC 2007
2 unit maths- 81
English (standard) - 73
Bio- 80
IT (B subject)- 79
IPT- 81
hello welldone nice improvement on your subjects.. you nailed it and If u were to redo the HSC again you would of get around in the80s UAI once again welldone on your improving marks :) :santa: :confused: :worried: :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)