How to do part C (1 Viewer)

MonKey1919

HSC
Pretty much what the title says. Never come across this type of question so I have no idea what to do.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 2.19.59 pm.png

=)(=

HSC
It wants you to derive the cumulative distribution function

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
If you think about tax scales questions from junior maths, the function we have here is similar, in that each piece has a constant added (the cumulative probability from earlier pieces. Hence

=)(=

HSC
If you think about tax scales questions from junior maths, the function we have here is similar, in that each piece has a constant added (the cumulative probability from earlier pieces. Hence

So you take them in cases?

specificagent1

HSC

1 mark for all this wtf?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
1 mark for all this wtf?
I wasn't offering a solution, I was trying to illustrate another way to look at the problem and understand what is going on.

If you want a solution based on this, we can see that the CDF is zero prior to , increases linearly to 0.5 by , and then increases linearly (at a different rate) reaching 1 by . Since the CDF is the integral of the PDF, the latter must be constant in each region and is:

Thus...
So you take them in cases?
Yes, you can approach this by differentiation within each piece / case, and you can see that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)