How to catch up to year 11 advanced math? (1 Viewer)

Dark Carnage

HSC
Next year, I'm going to year 11 and I'm going to advanced math. I'm struggling right now, because I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge, because I didn't really pay attention in class, and because of that, I didn't understand much of the material. Is there anyway, I can catch up by filling all the gaps, or even re-learning everything I need to know for next year?

Last edited:

Dark Carnage

HSC
I know, but it's gone over very briefly, like a topic that would usually take a week or two would be gone over in a day, and I don't think that would be enough time for me. And how would I know which topics I didn't fully understand from year 9 and below?

idkkdi

HSC
Next year, I'm going to year 11 and I'm going to advanced math. I'm struggling right now, because I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge, because I didn't really pay attention in class, and because of that, I didn't understand much of the material. Is there anyway, I can catch up by filling all the gaps, or even re-learning all I need to know for next year?
ICE-EM book had some pretty lit questions iirc.

tito981

HSC
I know, but it's gone over very briefly, like a topic that would usually take a week or two would be gone over in a day, and I don't think that would be enough time for me. And how would I know which topics I didn't fully understand from year 9 and below?
i would suggest briefly skimming over the chapter reviews in cambridge from the year 9/10 textbooks. This should give you a good indication to what you will need to improve on as year 11 advanced maths is just year 9/10 plus a couple new topics.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Next year, I'm going to year 11 and I'm going to advanced math. I'm struggling right now, because I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge, because I didn't really pay attention in class, and because of that, I didn't understand much of the material. Is there anyway, I can catch up by filling all the gaps, or even re-learning everything I need to know for next year?
As others have said, careful revision and consolidation of weak topics will ensure you're at your best for Year 11. I would look at the Math Advanced syllabus (as much as it is quite vague... -_-) or Year 11 textbooks such as Cambridge and compare this to any textbooks for Year 10 so that this can indicate the topics you have to improve on which will also be in the Year 11 course. The reason for using textbooks to compare is a bit more self explanatory I suppose - you don't want to end up using the Year 11 textbooks for Year 10 revision, but rather for the actual coursework once you've mastered the basics. Don't revise the unnecessary things (if you were in 5.3 Maths) such as Circle Geometry or Inverse Functions, as CG was in the old syllabus for 3U and Inverse Functions is in the new syllabus but for Extension 1. Revising pointlessly like this will decrease the time that you have to revise for the more major topics (e.g. Algebra, Trig) so it could be of best interest to keep this in mind. Make sure to study effectively, but also because it's the holidays and you're in the bridge between Year 10 and 11, have fun and enjoy your holidays as you'll be studying a bit harder for the next 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Edit: With what I said about the unnecessary things, everything in Year 10 which you learn is assumed knowledge for Year 11/12. However, the chances you will have to use some of these topics are very minimal. I guess one example of this is maximum and minimum problems in Year 12 where you may have to use Similar Triangles to solve a problem. Such a topic like this is assessed in Year 10 but is not directly taught in the Advanced course.

Last edited:

Dark Carnage

HSC
As others have said, careful revision and consolidation of weak topics will ensure you're at your best for Year 11. I would look at the Math Advanced syllabus (as much as it is quite vague... -_-) or Year 11 textbooks such as Cambridge and compare this to any textbooks for Year 10 so that this can indicate the topics you have to improve on which will also be in the Year 11 course. The reason for using textbooks to compare is a bit more self explanatory I suppose - you don't want to end up using the Year 11 textbooks for Year 10 revision, but rather for the actual coursework once you've mastered the basics. Don't revise the unnecessary things (if you were in 5.3 Maths) such as Circle Geometry or Inverse Functions, as CG was in the old syllabus for 3U and Inverse Functions is in the new syllabus but for Extension 1. Revising pointlessly like this will decrease the time that you have to revise for the more major topics (e.g. Algebra, Trig) so it could be of best interest to keep this in mind. Make sure to study effectively, but also because it's the holidays and you're in the bridge between Year 10 and 11, have fun and enjoy your holidays as you'll be studying a bit harder for the next 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Edit: With what I said about the unnecessary things, everything in Year 10 which you learn is assumed knowledge for Year 11/12. However, the chances you will have to use some of these topics are very minimal. I guess one example of this is maximum and minimum problems in Year 12 where you may have to use Similar Triangles to solve a problem. Such a topic like this is assessed in Year 10 but is not directly taught in the Advanced course.
Which textbook would you recommend I use for year 11?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Which textbook would you recommend I use for year 11?
Cambridge primarily although Fitzpatrick (New Senior Maths) is also pretty good. You could also use Maths in Focus but I'd only recommend to use that alongside another textbook as Maths in Focus is quite a "foundations of concepts" styled textbook if you know what I mean. If you end up running out of questions and past papers, I'd recommend to also see if you can try and get your hands on Mastering Mathematics which although doesn't have examples, it does have a range of interesting questions. Downside about Mastering Maths is it's quite expensive at roughly around $80 and I haven't seen a PDF which has been leaked online anywhere.

Dark Carnage

HSC
Cambridge primarily although Fitzpatrick (New Senior Maths) is also pretty good. You could also use Maths in Focus but I'd only recommend to use that alongside another textbook as Maths in Focus is quite a "foundations of concepts" styled textbook if you know what I mean. If you end up running out of questions and past papers, I'd recommend to also see if you can try and get your hands on Mastering Mathematics which although doesn't have examples, it does have a range of interesting questions. Downside about Mastering Maths is it's quite expensive at roughly around $80 and I haven't seen a PDF which has been leaked online anywhere.
Do they all cover the same content? Since I'm catching u wouldn't it be better to use MIF instead of cambridge?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Do they all cover the same content? Since I'm catching u wouldn't it be better to use MIF instead of cambridge?
All of them cover pretty much the same content although how the concepts are presented varies from book to book. What do you mean exactly by catching up though? Like getting a head start on Year 11 or...?

Dark Carnage

HSC
No I mean learning and consolidating everything I need to know for next year and maybe getting a head start as well. Right now I'm just working through cambridge but I'm not sure if I should switch. Next year I think we are using MIF as a textbook for advanced maths.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
No I mean learning and consolidating everything I need to know for next year and maybe getting a head start as well.
Ah, wouldn't use MiF for consolidation if you want to ensure you have an understanding of your Year 10 basics for Year 11. I'd use the 5.3 Cambridge Year 10 book as you don't want to use your Year 11 resources too early. If you want to get a head start for sure go with MiF.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
No I mean learning and consolidating everything I need to know for next year and maybe getting a head start as well. Right now I'm just working through cambridge but I'm not sure if I should switch. Next year I think we are using MIF as a textbook for advanced maths.
If you're using MiF primarily in school then perhaps do part MiF questions and the rest Cambridge for whatever you're doing.

Dark Carnage

HSC
If you're using MiF primarily in school then perhaps do part MiF questions and the rest Cambridge for whatever you're doing.
I was wondering for MIF and Cambridge since there are so many questions whether I should try do as many as I can or just skim through? The only problem with that is choosing which questions to do and to leave out.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
I was wondering for MIF and Cambridge since there are so many questions whether I should try do as many as I can or just skim through? The only problem with that is choosing which questions to do and to leave out.
That's more so about personal preference and your skill in that particular concept tbh. If you feel as if you constantly need reinforcement of what you're doing then I'd try and do as many questions as you can. If you're still not getting the concept after many questions either watch a couple of videos to assist you or take a break and come back to it later - hopefully it'll passively sink in. If you think that you've mastered the concept enough, skim over the more "basic" questions or try some harder questions to confirm your knowledge of the topic.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Does your school use any interactive maths software such as Maths Pathways or Maths Online?
They enable the student to self diagnose their gaps by doing revision tests and then just watch the tutorials & do the exercises of the topics where answers were incorrect. Your parents can get you a private subscription although it’s more expensive than subscribing through the school. You can use the same subscription to work ahead as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)