how should i study for the maths advanced hsc this year? (1 Viewer)

mary555

HSC
happy new year everyone! i hope 2022 is a good year for all of us :)

this year, I'll be taking my hsc for maths advanced and sor 1, but I'm not sure how to study for the former during the holidays this month. my teacher said this time is crucial to prepare, so i want to use it effectively.

right now, I'm going over my prelim content, with at least 30 minutes per day cause i still don't really have a study plan.

what's the most efficient way to study per day? e.g., should i be going for an hour per day, etc., but general tips will help as well.

(note: I'm in accelerated, and my goal is at least a band 4. i'd rather get a good mark this year cause i don't want to do maths in year 12 haha)

sorry for this being such a broad question, and thank you!!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps your approach to studying Mathematics Advanced should be primarily based on the topics assessed. This can be supported by accessing the syllabus document for Mathematics Advanced and familiarising yourself with the concepts that each topic/subtopic entails and can help you establish an effective study plan. Below is the link to the Mathematics Advanced syllabus document:

Regarding time allocations, you should probably not disregard them. Although you should prioritise the content, you can still set a flexible time limit to your studies each day (depending on what it is that you are studying in addition to the nature of the progress that you are making), especially since you intend to study during the holidays, meaning that you should not forget to enjoy them.

The band 4 zone is 70-79 marks, meaning that your minimum goal should not be difficult to achieve, provided you are studying in a sufficiently consistent manner and ensure that you are making the appropriate progress. In the event where you are not satisfied with your HSC mark for Mathematics Advanced, you can take Mathematics Advanced again in year 12.

I hope this helps! Happy new year! 😄

mary555

HSC
Perhaps your approach to studying Mathematics Advanced should be primarily based on the topics assessed. This can be supported by accessing the syllabus document for Mathematics Advanced and familiarising yourself with the concepts that each topic/subtopic entails and can help you establish an effective study plan. Below is the link to the Mathematics Advanced syllabus document:

Regarding time allocations, you should probably not disregard them. Although you should prioritise the content, you can still set a flexible time limit to your studies each day (depending on what it is that you are studying in addition to the nature of the progress that you are making), especially since you intend to study during the holidays, meaning that you should not forget to enjoy them.

The band 4 zone is 70-79 marks, meaning that your minimum goal should not be difficult to achieve, provided you are studying in a sufficiently consistent manner and ensure that you are making the appropriate progress. In the event where you are not satisfied with your HSC mark for Mathematics Advanced, you can take Mathematics Advanced again in year 12.

I hope this helps! Happy new year! 😄
yeah, ill def take a closer look at that syllabus :D thank you sm again haha, happy new year!!

Epicman69

HSC
happy new year everyone! i hope 2022 is a good year for all of us :)

this year, I'll be taking my hsc for maths advanced and sor 1, but I'm not sure how to study for the former during the holidays this month. my teacher said this time is crucial to prepare, so i want to use it effectively.

right now, I'm going over my prelim content, with at least 30 minutes per day cause i still don't really have a study plan.

what's the most efficient way to study per day? e.g., should i be going for an hour per day, etc., but general tips will help as well.

(note: I'm in accelerated, and my goal is at least a band 4. i'd rather get a good mark this year cause i don't want to do maths in year 12 haha)

sorry for this being such a broad question, and thank you!!
I just finished my HSC maths adv and ext 1 this year, and the best advice I can give (or atleast the thing that made me improve the most) is to do as many past papers as possible, also I felt that during the tests the best thing when tackling hard questions is just to make a start and even if it looks really confusing at first, it generally will result in the correct answer ... However this might always be the case and sometimes it is pretty obvious that the method you are doing is incorrect especially for the advanced test and the algebra get really wack. Other than that I would also say to keep an open mind during the test and always just have at the back of your mind that there most likely will be a curve ball questions that will involve the minute details of topics i.e last question 2021 ext 1 hsc, I got it right but it took me a while to realise the tricks involved with it (luckily I still had like 40 mins to think about it lol).

Edit: Also I think studying at most 3 hours a day should be sufficient especially since its only 1 subject and you have other prelim content to go through too. Though towards the trials and the actual hsc exam I started prioritising my maths subjects and sometimes went to for like 12 hours straight doing only maths.

mary555

HSC
I just finished my HSC maths adv and ext 1 this year, and the best advice I can give (or atleast the thing that made me improve the most) is to do as many past papers as possible, also I felt that during the tests the best thing when tackling hard questions is just to make a start and even if it looks really confusing at first, it generally will result in the correct answer ... However this might always be the case and sometimes it is pretty obvious that the method you are doing is incorrect especially for the advanced test and the algebra get really wack. Other than that I would also say to keep an open mind during the test and always just have at the back of your mind that there most likely will be a curve ball questions that will involve the minute details of topics i.e last question 2021 ext 1 hsc, I got it right but it took me a while to realise the tricks involved with it (luckily I still had like 40 mins to think about it lol).

Edit: Also I think studying at most 3 hours a day should be sufficient especially since its only 1 subject and you have other prelim content to go through too. Though towards the trials and the actual hsc exam I started prioritising my maths subjects and sometimes went to for like 12 hours straight doing only maths.
thank you so much!! this helps a lot :D

d1zzyohs

HSC
There seems to be a little bit of a paradigm shift for the Mathematics Advanced course after the new 2019 syllabus - it's always a gamble after a new syllabus is introduced to see what NESA/BOSTES want to examine. Past 2 years have been statistics heavy (at least, for a calculus course) - and I took the 2021 exam, and found it difficult because I didn't expect the questions. I would say keep your eye on statistics; they are finding more and more ways to incoporate different syllabus points and make very difficult questions - good luck!

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
Some advice:
Size doesn't matter. It is better to study consistently every day than a bunch of hours one day.

Length is key. You have to be motivated to go long or go home.

Width is crucial. The width of your knowledge needs to be great.

If it is not on then it is not on. If you don't feel right, take a break.

Don't be a fool cover your tool. Make sure, you keep your tools such as a calculator safe on exam day to prevent possible ramifications.

mary555

HSC
There seems to be a little bit of a paradigm shift for the Mathematics Advanced course after the new 2019 syllabus - it's always a gamble after a new syllabus is introduced to see what NESA/BOSTES want to examine. Past 2 years have been statistics heavy (at least, for a calculus course) - and I took the 2021 exam, and found it difficult because I didn't expect the questions. I would say keep your eye on statistics; they are finding more and more ways to incoporate different syllabus points and make very difficult questions - good luck!
thank you lots!! that's v helpful to know, i'll make sure to pay special care to statistics then since i'm weaker in that haha

mary555

HSC
Some advice:
Size doesn't matter. It is better to study consistently every day than a bunch of hours one day.

Length is key. You have to be motivated to go long or go home.

Width is crucial. The width of your knowledge needs to be great.

If it is not on then it is not on. If you don't feel right, take a break.

Don't be a fool cover your tool. Make sure, you keep your tools such as a calculator safe on exam day to prevent possible ramifications.
thank you so much! yes, i think consistency is something I've been lacking a lot i'll try my best :)

5uckerberg

HSC

I just finished my HSC maths adv and ext 1 this year, and the best advice I can give (or atleast the thing that made me improve the most) is to do as many past papers as possible, also I felt that during the tests the best thing when tackling hard questions is just to make a start and even if it looks really confusing at first, it generally will result in the correct answer ...

This quote assumes that one has completed the textbook because you cannot be doing past papers if you do not have a firm grip on the contents. For one who does not have solid background knowledge no amount of past papers will help you for you will always be bombarded by the questions and neve recognise what is happening.

sil_rom

HSC
I accelerated Maths Advanced in 2020 - so hopefully my advice will be of some use to you.

It's best not to gauge study in terms of time but rather that of value. Try and ensure you structure study to not only focus on your weak points, but also time management and working out. A private tutor may be of use if you find this difficult - it worked for me. The HSC exam is cruel for those unprepared: 3 hours seems like plenty of time but sometimes it's barely enough, and even missing a line of working in the easiest of questions could result in the loss of a whole mark - as me and my cohort found to our detriment.

In addition, whilst reviewing content is important, ultimately the HSC maths exam assesses how well you can apply your knowledge. I disagree on starting with past papers immediately unless you feel confident enough to pick the questions to help you improve. In my opinion, past papers should be used when consolidating knowledge instead of developing it. My advice would be to do textbook questions. Don't overdo it - pick a few which you find useful - and maybe ask friends to check working out and answers, if your textbook doesn't provide any. A benefit to textbook questions too is that in many schools, internal assessments may resemble some textbook concepts/questions. Don't limit yourself to only textbooks though - try and find some worksheets/resources online!

If you have further questions or want more advice, don't hesitate to start another thread on BoS or message me privately.

Hope this helped!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark (the mark that reflects a student's internal performance), which is received by the student ranked first in a particular subject, is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (HSC exam mark) of any student in the cohort. In the case of two or more students ranking first in a subject (in this case Mathematics Advanced), the highest Assessment Mark will be determined by calculating the average of the two or more Examination Marks (the latter can be achieved by any students in the cohort, not necessarily those ranked first internally). For example, if three students are ranked first, and the 3 highest Examination Marks end up being 95, 90 and 85, the Assessment Mark of the three students tied first will be

Assuming that your question is referring to achieving 100 in the Mathematics Advanced HSC exam, the same principle applies. The only difference in this case will be that all three students ranked first would receive 100 as their Assessment Mark, and consequently 100 as their HSC mark (final mark). Of course, whether this is a possibility is a different topic, since a mark of 100 is generally considered difficult to achieve.

Additionally, it is also important to note that even if the three students ranked first receive the same Assessment Mark, their Examination Marks may not be the same. This is because a student's performance in an HSC exam is not affected by factors such as their rank relative to their cohort or their school rank. From the aforementioned example, despite receiving the same Assessment Mark, the three students will still receive 95, 90 and 85 (or whatever mark they end up achieving) as their Examination Marks, resulting in different HSC marks.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)