How many words for 5 mark, 10 mark, 15 mark, 20 mark questions? (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
just wondering
how many words should we write for 5 mark, 10 mark, 15 mark, or 20 mark questions?

wendybird

HSC
The qestion is WAY too general, how much you write depends entirely on the subject!

Here are the different categories - other posters would be more qualified to fill you in on certain categories.

1. Sciences
2. English
3. History
4. Economics
5. Business Studies.
6. Languages.
7. (possibly more - post NYE, I'm not exactly as clear headed as I would be)

Speaking for Business Studies, a 5 marker is usually a paragrah - around 4-6 lines. Lines are provided btw. 10 marker is about a page - lines are again provided. 20 marker is an extended response - Business Report/Case study, people write anywhere from 6 to 12+ pages.

I assume its around the same with Economics, but with Eco you can put in diagrams and graphs.

For Modern History, WWI section essentially requires one liners for the reading section, perhaps 3 lines for the slightly longer questions. Lines are provided for the source analysis and "using own knowlege" part - its around a page.

For the essays, 20 markes = a full essay. People write anywhere from 6 pages to 20. Most essays are essay length - ie. 800-1100 words.

For the personality section, the 10 mark part is a mini essay - around 4-5 pages. More if you wish. The 15 marker is a few pages more. Harder analysis as well. Perhaps 6-8 pages.

BUT as you can see, any info posters can provide is completely specific to a particular subject. There is no rule of thumb that applies to every single subject.

Why don't you go familiarise yourself with the exam formats for your subjects? The standards packages also provide a good guideline as to how much ppl write for each particuar subject.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^
It's exactly like Wendy said. The length required is all dependent on the subject.

For sciences, lines are given but if you need more space just right under the lines NEATLY. You shouldn't have to write much more than the number lines that are given anyway :)

For the option topics you write in booklets - just write as much as you need to. For the large 6/7 markers, it shouldn't be more than 3 pages though including diagrams and that's if you have large writing XD

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
thanks wendybird and annabackwards!
i'll take a look at standard packages

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Please note that many subjects are changing some of the exam requirements for 2010 e.g. both Modern and Ancient History are including multiple choice (and for Modern the Sources and Own Knowledge 10 marker has gone and in Ancient it is the 4 and 5 mark questions - the 10 mark Conservation etc question remains). The basic structure for History is now 5 - 10 multiple choice with 5 - 10 marks from short written responses and then the 10 marks source evaluation for modern and conservation/ethics for ancient.

Other subjects have also made changes to a greater or lesser extent but I don't know them.

You will need to check the exam specifications for each subject on the BOS website.

They are also including suggested word/page counts for students in 2010.

Schoey93

HSC
Lol that's like a small essay! 3 pages??
Agreed, three pages for a 7 mark question is excessive, unless you draw diagrams at the recommended "half a page size". Anna's just so smart she enjoys writing more than she has to. Probably because she's Asian and pregnant.

Joking:haha: I'm a jerk, lol

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Please note that many subjects are changing some of the exam requirements for 2010 e.g. both Modern and Ancient History are including multiple choice (and for Modern the Sources and Own Knowledge 10 marker has gone and in Ancient it is the 4 and 5 mark questions - the 10 mark Conservation etc question remains). The basic structure for History is now 5 - 10 multiple choice with 5 - 10 marks from short written responses and then the 10 marks source evaluation for modern and conservation/ethics for ancient.

Other subjects have also made changes to a greater or lesser extent but I don't know them.

You will need to check the exam specifications for each subject on the BOS website.

They are also including suggested word/page counts for students in 2010.
I can't believe they are including multiple choice, IMO it seems to degrade the test bleh. Or maybe it's because I hate multiple choice. :D

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I can't believe they are including multiple choice, IMO it seems to degrade the test bleh. Or maybe it's because I hate multiple choice. :D
The HTA fought against it but having now had a couple of training sessions on them I am not so sure that they won't be able to test the knowledge but time will tell.

Shall I just say I am approaching it with an open mind as it is now set and we have to deal with it as best we can so I am being positive in assuming that they won't let it impact the rigourous nature of both subjects.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
so these changes will be implemented for our year?
that really sucks.
that really really sucks.
I hate Multiple choice.

wendybird

HSC
The HTA fought against it but having now had a couple of training sessions on them I am not so sure that they won't be able to test the knowledge but time will tell.

Shall I just say I am approaching it with an open mind as it is now set and we have to deal with it as best we can so I am being positive in assuming that they won't let it impact the rigourous nature of both subjects.
Oh wow - I had no idea about the incoming multiple choice!?!

One thing I really enjoyed about Modern History (and English for that matter) was the focus on conceptual knowledge - ie. being able to see the "big picture" rather than a focus on the nitty-gritty (which is of course important too).

I feel abit funny about the multiple choice - and I'm glad that when I was doing the HSC Modern History was essentially extended responses (but for the WWI section).

I just hope students won't be punished for forgetting a date or place. I've always found MC abit of a paradox. On one hand it is designed to remove ambiguity by having clear cut answers (A/B/C/D), but on the other hand it garners ambiguity and controversy of its own because of the way questions can be worded and conflicting perspectives on the one event.

Anyway, best of luck for students of the new curriculum.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh wow - I had no idea about the incoming multiple choice!?!

One thing I really enjoyed about Modern History (and English for that matter) was the focus on conceptual knowledge - ie. being able to see the "big picture" rather than a focus on the nitty-gritty (which is of course important too).

I feel abit funny about the multiple choice - and I'm glad that when I was doing the HSC Modern History was essentially extended responses (but for the WWI section).

I just hope students won't be punished for forgetting a date or place. I've always found MC abit of a paradox. On one hand it is designed to remove ambiguity by having clear cut answers (A/B/C/D), but on the other hand it garners ambiguity and controversy of its own because of the way questions can be worded and conflicting perspectives on the one event.

Anyway, best of luck for students of the new curriculum.
The History Multiple Choice and short answers are replacing the basic comprehension questions at the beginning so instead of 99% of the state getting 5/5 for Question 1 the chances are that it will actually make that section more difficult. The offset is that Question 2 with an average of around 6/7 will also probably come up a bit so the average out of 15 that is currently about 11 will stay that way or could even be lower.

h3ll h0und

HSC
they're gonna introduce word/page count for english? that's gonna be a bitch

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
they're gonna introduce word/page count for english? that's gonna be a bitch
They are going to give you a guide as to how much to write for a full mark response but you will still be able to write as much as you want and if you exceed the page/word count you will not be penalised.

There is no way that the markers are going to have to count words.

Of course, when the HSC goes online, which is being suggested for 2012, a word count might come into it but that is still a couple of years ago.

wendybird

HSC
for Modern the Sources and Own Knowledge 10 marker has gone
Oh my! I just noticed this in your post Cem.

:(

I really loved that section! And source analysis is such an important skill.

I always felt that doing something structured like the 10 markers, was a good segue into the extend responses.

Oh well, I'm sure students will adjust and adapt.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
don't know if this will help but my english tutor told me:
1 mark questions should be done in 2.5mins, and should be 3 lines.
2 marks, 5mins, 6lines
3 marks, 7.5 mins, 1/2 page
5 marks, 12.5mins, 1 1/4 - 1 1/2pages
6 marks, 15 mins, 1 1/2 pages

all this obviously applies to english.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lol that's like a small essay! 3 pages??
Most kids write three pages (ie, me) because we see the booklet that you get for options (which is 8 pages), and we feel real insecure that we tend to try to write as much as possible. Add this to the fact that most kids' handwriting get bigger in exams, and the fact that Chemistry/Physics usually comes after all your English exams, and you'll find that you'll get to 3 pages quite easily. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)