How many pages did you write? [Merged] (1 Viewer)

yankyfly

HSC
JustWin said:
BNW/BR - 23 pages of quality
Gwenharwood - 17 pages of bs
Frontline - 18 pages of quality
are u serious! that is like a page every 2 minutes. Are you writing on like every second line... or have some dodgey special provisions? because otherwise that is amazing. And anyone who says quantity over quality, is only half right. Those dropkicks at the BOS LOVE quantity... the guy that writes the longest essay is at a HUGE advantage.

anyway...

BR/BNW : 9
King Lear: 8
Frontline: 9

total = 26

lukebrown

HSC

I have fairly small writing but i just cant write very fast :(

Gangels

HSC
Out of all the high ranked essays that i've read from last year, the longest one was 4 pages. Doesnt matter how much you write, its what you write thats the big thing. So you really shouldn't get too stressed about it.

Aims123

HSC
N/A
TimtheEnchanter said:
This is a bit off tiopic, but please hear me out and plz reply

I don't see why we're sposed to analyse texts from the feminist, marxist etc perspective (not that it matters now). This has been an issue of debate in politics since someone accused the cirriculum of being Left-wing. If this doesn't make people realise that when you talk to someone you don't weed out every little piece of verbal meaning imaginable along with their posture and the rest of the misen'scene then nothing will.
I always suspected the English course was a crock, just a way to make the gov't look like it's upping the average IQ of the common man (or woman) or making typical conversations more interesting, but I have yet to discover a profession besides professional critic that requires the level of mutilation of texts that we have just learnt.

It's not just me who thinks that studying texts in all these ways that authors never intended destroyed the experience of reading/viewing the text, is it?

When I told my Enlgish teacher that I didn't have to finish the HCS to get where I wanted to go, she simply asked me: "then why are you here?". This is when it finally clicked that not only is the point of school void of learning for the sake of learning, but it's new point is to present students as a marketable product of the business that are schools. What happened to mankind's thirst for knowledge?

At my school we are always compared to a famous student in the length of our responses, and this English-loving girl could write a lined A4 page in 2 minutes, and it takes most of us 10. She got the highest UAI my school's history, a 99.8, and has been the benchmark to which our teachers compare us ever since.

I ask you, is this helpful? She was obviously one in a million, but is tragically only remembered because she was good at schoolwork.

For those of you doing Modern History and Weimar Germany, this stuff is gold! It tells us how things ended up the way they did, why they did, who stuffed up where and also gives a good idea of how Iraq will wrap up. Facts, people! Board-approved facts!

I know I won't be the only one feeling a bit put out if i never have to use my hard-learnt English skills again after all this hoo-ha.
Firstly, it's not about analysing texts, it's about seeing how the culture is applied. Through studing the links between context and text, the different ways of interpreting etc etc we are being taught about the shifting nature of meaning. Basically, that just because something is written down doesn't make it true. We need to examine how meaning is made and received in order that we can critically assess everything we hear/see/read.

The reason it is considered "left" is because conservatives can see that this kind of thinking can lead to questioning, and that may upset the status quo.

Yes, I study Modern History, and would like to point out that if you're studying this subject properly you would be taking into account the historiographical debates surrounding weimar Germany. Think about it. 20 years ago these "facts" were completely different. People looked at the whole period from a different angle (giving significance to the depression.) Our personality study is exactly that! An "interpretation" of history. History, more than anything else is about interpretation, not memorising facts.

look deeper into what you are studying, and realises that it is teaching you how to think critically, rather than teaching you a set of "facts"

urgay

HSC
yeh well im the fastest writer at my school (normally--and i came first)
i wrote 16 pgs lear
15 e/c
12 frontline (that was my worst essay)
but no double spacing or anything

fruitarian

HSC
9= Transformations (yuk)
10= Ondaatje (Prose Fiction)
11= Telling the Truth

=30 pages :)

urgay

HSC
ewww transformations was wierd-did u do emma and clueless.... i mean wat was with that, human relationships, gahhhh

fruitarian

HSC
lol nah I did Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern...easy as question but i just dont GET it...lol...what id learnt fit in perfectly but i had no diea what i was fricken talking about lol:confused:

ahhhh dear....we'll see

jesuschrist

HSC
in th wild - 14
critical study (ondaatje) - 7 (ewwwwwwwwwwwww)
powerplay - 14

but i take along time to sya anything so probably abour 7 for each if you subtract the waffle lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)