How is $80+/hr a justified rate?!?! Tell me your thoughts + why (1 Viewer)

icycledough

HSC
Without being blunt, some of these tutors who charge relatively excessive amounts may be doing so for a few reasons. For example, if they are a med student and are living interstate, they would have to make sure they have enough money to take care of themselves (food, rent, etc), whereas at home, these 'luxuries' would already be taken care off. Like I had a tutor who was also charging $80 per hour, but they had been teaching for 20+ years, so I knew that they knew exactly what they were doing and how to cater for any student. However, I definitely believe $80 per hour for a student fresh out of high school is definitely a bit over the top.

dasfas

HSC
Pay doctors like teachers then see how many 99ers have a sudden passion to "help people"
Tbh, I think that it would be entirely fair to not go into medicine if the salary wasn't worth it.

There's a shitton of schooling, hard work, sacrifice, opportunity cost and debt that you have to go into. If you weren't well compensated at the end of it, then choosing medicine would be the worst financial decision of your life.

nourished.

HSC
HOW DO THOSE JR STUDENTS JUSTIFY CHARGING $80+ AN HOUR FOR 1-ON-1 TUTORING?

I charge almost half that price for year 12 students. Am I undervaluing my work or are they the ones being unreasonable?

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 🥔
Thanks for the ted talk, what an honour to be here.

Eh, price is really arbitrary. Some tutors charge $80+ because they can, whilst other charge $80+ because of their track record in producing excellent students. So, it is up to you to do your own due diligence in picking a tutor that you work well with.

Putting things into perspective - $80/week x 52 weeks = $4160, which really isn't as much as you'd think in the long term when you land a good job.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Even I, with a postgraduate degree and over 20 years of tutoring experience, find it hard to charge $80/hr.

I feel some of the people who achieved an ATAR of 99.95 think they are perfect. I think they are rather swell-headed and arrogant. But I'm sure an exceptional few do make very good tutors.
I agree that the attributes of a good tutor are far more than just good marks. My son is far more advanced in Maths & physics than his sister, but I highly doubt that he’d ever be as effective as a tutor. She could immediately assess her students’ gaps in understanding and close them by appropriate explanation, whereas he just wouldn’t fathom that people can be stuck on basic concepts.

Fortunately, he has a much more suitable casual job quality checking practice papers. It’s sporadic work and he is paid per paper which is ideal as his efficiency means his return for an hour of work is pretty good (considering he started as a 15 yr old and he can ‘work from home’).

nourished.

HSC
$4160 for only 52 hours of work + some extra random hours outside the set frame is actually heaps and a big rip off
I see where you're coming from, $80/hr is expensive without a doubt. (For context, I don't charge this. I'm just offering perspectives.)

I've worked for quite a few places, alongside a handful of clients, as well as on my own side business. Over time, I think I've come to see pricing as a measure of value rather than hours. I know, it sounds like a load of bs. But, hear me out.

I've worked alongside your small business employed lawyers, as well as your big associate lawyers. The prior is paid $40/hr, and the latter $400/hr. The $40/hr is stressed, and the $400/hr is 10x as stressed.

She's 10x stressed because of the level of responsibility she takes on, as well as the results she gets for her clients. The return on investment is very, very substantial for the client.

Just my two cents.

dasfas

HSC
$4160 for only 52 hours of work + some extra random hours outside the set frame is actually heaps and a big rip off
Depends - if that tutoring is the difference between getting into your dream uni course or not, it's worth it. But I don't know if $80/hour tutors bring significantly more to the table than $50/hour tutors. I feel like you hit diminishing returns past a certain points

dasfas

HSC
I see where you're coming from, $80/hr is expensive without a doubt. (For context, I don't charge this. I'm just offering perspectives.)

I've worked for quite a few places, alongside a handful of clients, as well as on my own side business. Over time, I think I've come to see pricing as a measure of value rather than hours. I know, it sounds like a load of bs. But, hear me out.

I've worked alongside your small business employed lawyers, as well as your big associate lawyers. The prior is paid $40/hr, and the latter $400/hr. The $40/hr is stressed, and the $400/hr is 10x as stressed.

She's 10x stressed because of the level of responsibility she takes on, as well as the results she gets for her clients. The return on investment is very, very substantial for the client.

Just my two cents.
I know of a lawyer that gets paid 30k/day by big businesses, fucking nuts

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Without being blunt, some of these tutors who charge relatively excessive amounts may be doing so for a few reasons. For example, if they are a med student and are living interstate, they would have to make sure they have enough money to take care of themselves (food, rent, etc), whereas at home, these 'luxuries' would already be taken care off.
This is not a valid reason. By that logic, they should demand $80/hr for working at Maccas for the same reason. High expenses does not mean you should get paid more.

idkkdi

HSC
I was just browsing through highschooltutors and looking at the rates people charge, particularly focusing on recent graduates who got similar results to me. I'm shocked.

HOW DO THOSE JR STUDENTS JUSTIFY CHARGING $80+ AN HOUR FOR 1-ON-1 TUTORING? Sure, you may be a 99.5+ atar med student but you're still fresh out of high school. I doubt they have the experience (and time to help you out of hours) they claim. Many people start off at a low rate and increase it year by year as they gain experience and collect more resources. So unless you've done further tertiary study in a particular subject and/or have taught for many years, I don't think this exorbitant fee is acceptable. Remember that even state ranks were taught by someone, whether it be their school teacher or a tutor.

My rant: do these tutors actually get many (if any) students? Or is this some form of self-preservation where they try to 'earn back' the money they spent on their own education? Literal cash 🐮.There are more qualified people out there that charge more affordable prices.

I charge almost half that price for year 12 students. Am I undervaluing my work or are they the ones being unreasonable?

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 🥔
plenty of people are able to get people on $80/h.

I've heard that english tutors are normally able to charge the most, up to like 100/h lol.

nourished.

HSC
Depends - if that tutoring is the difference between getting into your dream uni course or not, it's worth it. But I don't know if $80/hour tutors bring significantly more to the table than $50/hour tutors. I feel like you hit diminishing returns past a certain points
Great point, I agree with this. For most students, knowing enough is good enough. Past that point, you're not going to get a whole lot of extra marks in an exam per extra hour of study you do. Likewise, you won't get significant enough difference between a $60/hr and $80/hr+ tutor.

icycledough

HSC
Great point, I agree with this. For most students, knowing enough is good enough. Past that point, you're not going to get a whole lot of extra marks in an exam per extra hour of study you do. Likewise, you won't get significant enough difference between a $60/hr and $80/hr+ tutor.
That's a fair point ... you could get more out of a tutor who charges $30 per hour compared to someone who charges $80 per hour because the cheaper tutor is less focused on the money and more focused on their students and making sure they can achieve the best possible marks they can. It can be quite hard to find a balance between money and the quality of tutor without overcompensating (as generally, better tutors will charge relatively higher prices which not everyone will be able to afford)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Like many other professions, the amount you pay per hour is not the only cost involved in the delivery of the product/service. Whether it be insurance costs, time to prepare material, setting something aside for people who complain/demand money back, travel costs, etc... there's a lot of other potential factors.

That being said, at face value though, for a business which has relatively unqualified individuals fresh out of high school, $80/hr does sound a bit rich even factoring in all of the other points... but hey, the market determines the price. If the tutor is deemed to be worth it (even if not in actual results but even just peace of mind), people will pay for it.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Even I, with a postgraduate degree and over 20 years of tutoring experience, find it hard to charge $80/hr.

I feel some of the people who achieved an ATAR of 99.95 think they are perfect. I think they are rather swell-headed and arrogant. But I'm sure an exceptional few do make very good tutors.
Hello sir :)

username_2

HSC
Lmao $80 per hour. I feel like im ripping off the student at any age, at any time with how much ever experience. Like it causes me physical pain to charge more that $40 per hour. I would not even be happy - but that aside, no matter what kinda student you are, when coming fresh outta high school with no experience in teaching, how could you possibly justify yourself to be a more effective tutor than the teachers who taught you these concepts in the first place - like 6-7 weeks ago...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)