How important is it to make notes? (1 Viewer)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
So far in Y12 I've done pretty well on all my tests and assignments without falling for the notes meme. I never look at the syllabus or care about dot points, I just do important work in class and at home and prep for tests when they come up with the best plan I can come up with. I have friends who complain about how much time it takes to make notes and I don't get the point of spending so much time on it when it doesn't seem to help that much.

Has anyone neglected making notes for the entire HSC and how did it affect you? Am I putting myself at big disadvantage in the long term?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
So far in Y12 I've done pretty well on all my tests and assignments without falling for the notes meme. I never look at the syllabus or care about dot points, I just do important work in class and at home and prep for tests when they come up with the best plan I can come up with. I have friends who complain about how much time it takes to make notes and I don't get the point of spending so much time on it when it doesn't seem to help that much.

Has anyone neglected making notes for the entire HSC and how did it affect you? Am I putting myself at big disadvantage in the long term?
I did the exact same thing as you and it worked out well for me.

Everyone is different imo. Writing notes is not something that has ever really helped me and I've basically never done it. I study much better by spending most of my time doing problems and memorizing content straight from a textbook or whatever else when necessary.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of notes I did make some, but doing the questions is more important. The making of the notes should only really be on things that you need to make sure you memorise so they should be short as possible. You shouldn't really be having very long notes that describe every single detail. That is something when I saw people writing 100-200 page notes is going to be almost impossible to memorise for each subject

studiesofboard

HSC
  • I was going to ditch making notes at the start of the year but right now im currently making my notes because I knew that it was going to be somewhat helpful but as @Drdusk said everyone is different. :)
  • In year 11 I spent way too long on notes and did not actually read them so it was useless - because the notes I had written for one subject had so much pages :rolleyes:

dasfas

HSC
idk man, I have no idea how anyone could cope with the hsc without notes. sure, if you're doing maths, no need for that, but for other subjects, you may have a great grasp of it at the time when you're doing it in class, but when it comes to trials, you've probably forgotten a large chunk of it and have to waste time relearning everything

nuvardex

HSC
idk man, I have no idea how anyone could cope with the hsc without notes. sure, if you're doing maths, no need for that, but for other subjects, you may have a great grasp of it at the time when you're doing it in class, but when it comes to trials, you've probably forgotten a large chunk of it and have to waste time relearning everything
Yeah. In year 11, I didn't make notes, and I most definitely could have done better. Having notes makes it so much easier to keep track of everything I've done, and, it also gives me the opportunity to rephrase what OTHER people have said, into words which make things easier to understand. Everyone is different, but notes are the best option for me. Just have to work a little harder than other people who solely do questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)