How does selection ranks work? (1 Viewer)

Epicman69

HSC
Probably a bit too early to worry about this rn, but I was just curious what is the difference between a selection rank and ATAR? Also when I am looking to apply for courses, should I be aiming for an ATAR above the minimum selection rank or an ATAR above the minimum atar shown? Thanks!

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Selection rank = Atar + Adjustment factors (Bonus points) that come in the form of EAS, SEIFA, EAPL and some unis have it for getting band 6 per subject.

specificagent1

HSC
you should be aiming for getting above the lowest selection rank as getting above the min atar does not gauranteer an offer
All university offers work on a basis of you having to reach the lowest selection rank (LSR). (Note: there are exceptions here for competitive courses like medicine, please check on the UAC website.) The lowest selection rank is the lowest selection rank (ATAR + adjustment factors) you need to reach in order to get an offer for the course. Hold up, what's the lowest ATAR then?? The lowest ATAR is the lowest ATAR of the person that met the selection rank of the course. For example, if you had a selection rank of 80 resulting from an ATAR of 70 and 10 adjustment and the LSR for a course is 80 and you got in, the published lowest ATAR for that course will be 70.

Wait, so can i get in with just reaching the lowest ATAR? No you can not, you must reach the lowest selection rank so even if your ATAR was 75 and had no adjustments for the example above, you will still not get an offer even though your ATAR is above that of the individual that got in with the lowest ATAR of 70. This is as that individual had a selection rank of 80 and hence met the requirements. If you have no adjustments your ATAR = selection rank as selection rank is ATAR + adjustments and ATAR + 0 = ATAR.

Wait, so my ATAR is below the lowest ATAR but my selection rank is above the lowest selection rank, can I get in? Yes you can, as long as your selection rank is above the lowest selection rank you can get in.

Guaranteed selection rank v lowest selection rank? Most courses have a published guaranteed selection rank meaning if your selection rank is above or equivalent to that figure you will get an offer. Some courses only publish the lowest selection rank of previous years to give you an indication of what they are after but will not make any promises. This mostly occurs with competitive courses.

quickoats

HSC
you should be aiming for getting above the lowest selection rank as getting above the min atar does not gauranteer an offer
If it’s a non restricted course (unlike med, nursing etc where there’s a seat cap), the previous years ATAR cutoff is generally safe to get an offer

specificagent1

HSC
If it’s a non restricted course (unlike med, nursing etc where there’s a seat cap), the previous years ATAR cutoff is generally safe to get an offer
The last year's lowest selection rank not atar will generally be safe

Epicman69

HSC
Thanks for the replies! So if it was a competitive course that has a placement limit which let's say has a minimum selection rank of 99, would it be safe if I got an Atar of let's say 99.10 with to adjustment factors?

specificagent1

HSC
Thanks for the replies! So if it was a competitive course that has a placement limit which let's say has a minimum selection rank of 99, would it be safe if I got an Atar of let's say 99.10 with to adjustment factors?
what course exactly are you talking about? note that some adjustment schemes dont apply to certain courses

specificagent1

HSC
oops sorry I mean no adjustment factors
generally yes if you get a 99.10 for a 99 course you will get in but this is difficult to say. For example, a course like medicine which has caps and for example at a uni like UNSW caps it at a total of 198 spots. Now for something like this, they will also look at your UCAT and interview performance and then rank applicants and give it to the top 198. (this is an oversimplification of unsw med as they have various other schemes such as gateway medicine (10 spots) and rural medicine pathways where they reserve some spots for these schemes, yet these spots count towards the total cap of 198)

The issue with cap courses is that they accept the top how many spots they have compared to other courses without caps where you're simply required to get above a selection rank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)