How does aligning in chem work? (1 Viewer)

spark

I think I did pretty bad.

I think I'm looking at anywhere between 70-80 depending on my degree of shitness. Would that be enough for a band 5/6 (laughs)? Or does aligning not differ much from the actual raw mark?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Depends on the quality of this years candiadates, and how hard/easy the test was.

spark

Thank you. I guess that is fairly straight forward. LOL

Is there any past examples? Or rough estimates?

new1

do we get given raw and scaled (aligned) marks, or just the scaled ones?

helper

HSC
N/A
Judging

An examinar sits the paper and decides what a band 1 person will get right.
This is repeated for 2-6

They add up the marks for each level and come up with a total. These become the bands for each level.

The cut off for band 1-2 becomes 50
For 2-3 becomes 60
3-4 70
4-5 80
5-6 90

So it is going to work on how the "judges" decide each question is against the "standards" that are found on the boards site.

As for UAI, that is a ranking and where scaling between subjects come in.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
On other words to what helper is saying, is that if the Chemistry exam was considered difficult by the examiner, then the cut-off for each band will be low. For example, 88-100 maybe enough for a band 6. 87-75 maybe enough for a band 5.

On the other hand, if the chemistry was considered simple, then the cut-offs will be high for each bands. For example, a band 6 might required a raw mark of between 100-93 for a band 6. And 92 - 84 for a band 5...

helper

HSC
N/A
It is more than just how the examiner feels he has to match the question against the standard.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/chemistry_dpbs.pdf

So it isn't a personal feeling on the difficulty of the question but a matching exercise. The long questions will be marked against them as well.

Eg the six mark question will normally be marked so anyone who answers gets one, a 2 level person will get 2 etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)