HSC
How do you put a GIF file as your avatar? I tried, but it just came out to be a regular image. What do I have to do?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
do you want an animated avatar like mine?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
settings,
edit avatar (on left of screen)
choose animated in pre defined

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
you can but i think only members can, im not sure though..

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Normal members can't upload gifs

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe that back in the older days of Bored of Studies, users were able to pay to become Premium Members, which I believe gave them access to Premium resources. This would make sense as there are Premium sections within the Notes & Resources section, such as this one:

From what I have observed ever since I joined (which is after the new site was launched), moderators are given the Premium Member status after they retire and this is when the colour of the person's username changes to light blue, as opposed to dark blue for regular members. The Custom Subtitle appears on your profile page, in the About section, regardless of whether or not you are a Premium Member. It seems like it no longer appears beneath a user's custom title in italics, and this may be due to the possibility that this feature was associated with an earlier version of BoS.

If you want a custom title that says "Biologist" (which appears straight under your username, see mine as an example), you will need to set it as a custom title, which is an option that appears once you've been on this site for a year.

I hope this helps! :D

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
What did they have in the premium resources
Additional, subject-specific resources that would be accessed by Premium Members. They are now accessible by regular users so feel free to check them out. There's a Premium section for Biology which I'll link below, although those resources are part of the old syllabus:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Become a moderator and then retire
So, now that I'm a moderator, I'm just ordinary... but if I quit contributing and retire, and return my golden key to the sooper seekrit moderator-only haunted bathroom facility that Myrtle frequents, I suddenly become premium?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
So, now that I'm a moderator, I'm just ordinary... but if I quit contributing and retire, and return my golden key to the sooper seekrit moderator-only haunted bathroom facility that Myrtle frequents, I suddenly become premium?
Yes, if anyone is interested, this is technically a side effect that's been around forever lol.

Originally it was necessary for moderators to be premium members so they could access premium features (very few, if any, of which still exist) if necessary for testing and support, so moderators automatically become premium members - but no process was added to remove the premium status for ex-mods and the admins at the time felt it was a good effect to have so it wasn't changed.

We decided to deprecate offering premium membership when launching the updated site, but the user group itself + moderator interactons + this summary all got migrated across. It could be re-added in the future if there's ever a good value proposition for doing so (for all parties involved), but there's no plans for that currently.

I'm fairly certain that description of the subtitle is wrong, and that members that have been around for a long time and/or posted enough also have the ability to edit their subtitles. See some of the users in the Confessions thread for example. I'll check it out this evening and update that description if necessary.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Ah, so I am Premium now, but it doesn't show because Mod shows instead... but if I retire and cease to be Mod, the Premium will become visible?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally like the Premium Member status for retired moderators as it demonstrates that a particular user has made substantial and positive contributions to this site as a moderator, so it technically serves as a recognition of their efforts and hard work and also serves to differentiate them from regular users.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally like the Premium Member status for retired moderators as it demonstrates that a particular user has made substantial and positive contributions to this site as a moderator, so it technically serves as a recognition of their efforts and hard work and also serves to differentiate them from regular users.
Yeah, I think it's cool, even if it doesn't come with any fancy features.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)