How do I start preparing for Year 11 in the holidays? (1 Viewer)

iamastar

HSC
I have nothing much else to do lol

Would preparing notes from past textbooks and papers be useful? I have a feeling I'll forget it all by the time school starts.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Depending on what subjects you do this is what I'd say subject wise:

Maths: learn the whole course by yourself. Start of by going from MIF then fitzpatrick then cambridge. Make sure you revise your basics if you haven't already and focus mainly on your weaknesses

English: read all your prescribed texts that you will do throughout the year. Ask your english teacher what AOS you're doing for prelim and start on your creative (I'd suggest you make sure that you cover the whole rubric when writing your creative and memorise it word for word). Expose yourself to lots of sample essays on the internet, creatives, short answer responses, etc. You can also read books, short stories, poems but try to read something non-academic

Sciences: Read a textbook, watch videos so you understand the concepts in a somewhat strong conceptual manner, make notes, do pratice questions like maths (just do exactly the same thing I said for maths). Also focus on weaknesses

Humanities: basically same concept as science, also focus on your weaknesses

I'd suggest getting a job

Also if you have time, I'd suggest you write a discovery creative as well even though it's not the right time (although it could save you time later on)

Last edited:

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

Maths: learn the whole course by yourself. Start of by going from MIF then fitzpatrick then cambridge. Make sure you revise your basics if you haven't already and focus mainly on your weaknesses

English: read all your prescribed texts that you will do throughout the year. Ask your english teacher what AOS you're doing for prelim and start on your creative (I'd suggest you make sure that you cover the whole rubric when writing your creative and memorise it word for word). Expose yourself to lots of sample essays on the internet, creatives, short answer responses, etc. You can also read books, short stories, poems but try to read something non-academic

Sciences: Read a textbook, watch videos so you understand the concepts in a somewhat strong conceptual manner, make notes, do pratice questions like maths (just do exactly the same thing I said for maths). Also focus on weaknesses

Also if you have time, I'd suggest you write a discovery creative as well even though it's not the right time (although it could save you time later on)
wot

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

I have nothing much else to do lol

Would preparing notes from past textbooks and papers be useful? I have a feeling I'll forget it all by the time school starts.
Ok so being realistic maybe prepare some notes for the first module for each subject that you do through textbooks/other notes. Do a bit of maths practice for the basics and learn a bit from textbooks/youtube (Eddie Woo is good) if you feel like it. English just read the first text you are going to do.

Telling us your subjects would be more useful.

si2136

HSC
N/A
For Maths, start to have a grasp on the foundation of each topic. That way, when you do it via tutoring or school, you already have a foundation. You can work from there.

Read your english prescribed text. Learn to enjoy them.

Take a break. Personally, I didn't study during those holidays besides doing 3U.

tonysoprano

HSC
Yr 11 is useless. I think I failed literally all my finals for year 11, and I turned out decently fine, I guess.
Only thing I would recommend actually learning now is Math, since that will be in your HSC exam. But other than that, yr 11 content is irrelevant.
Hope I don't sound like a bad influence or anything.

iamastar

HSC
Can someone please tell me how to prepare for:

Modern History
Biology
English Advanced and Extension
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Ancient History

Thankss

Natte800

HSC
I've also been preparing for next year. Out of your subjects I'm taking English extension (+advance), legal and business studies. I would recommend purchasing a couple of textbooks for both legal and business. I've done this and I pretty much know the first chapter of legal by heart. Business is slightly different.
To do both go through case studies relating to the topic you're covering, prepare study notes beforehand, do past exam papers (so you ace them) and memorise the syllabus.
I don't know about English extension and advanced because each school varies with what topics they cover and what texts/films they study. I would focus on your weak points from your year 10 report and get a better understanding of past texts/films you've done.
Hope that helped, sorry if it was a slight ramble. :)

ALawrence

HSC
Can someone please tell me how to prepare for:

Modern History
Biology
English Advanced and Extension
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Ancient History

Thankss
Histories: break up your syllabus into points and do notes (Cambridge Modern textbook is helpful) on those. Also read your prescribed and related texts and start making notes on these, it'll really help in the long run especially if you know your text well before school goes back and discussions begin.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)