How do I answer this syllabus questions in Post-1945? (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hi!
I was wondering how am I supposed to answer, "Outline changing patterns of religious adherence from 1945 to the present using census data."
I have recorded all the census data I need but do I not understand if I need to outline why some religions decreased/increased due to immigration or argue the influence of immigration in religion? Do I simply just state the census data? If anybody has a sample response for this question, is it okay if I could view it :)

Thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I did not take Studies of Religion, so I cannot provide direct advice. However, I will suggest considering the mark value of the question (if applicable). The value is likely to be an indication of the level of depth required for a good-quality response. This means that, the higher the mark value, the more likely it is that a more sophisticated response is required.

Perhaps the following sample answers could provide some guidance. It is important to note that they are a few years old, meaning that the census data that they use is likely to be outdated:

Sample 1 said:
The rise of secularism and immigration has contributed immensely to changing patterns of Australian religious adherence post-1945. There has been an increase from 0.3% in 1947 to 30.1% in 2016 in residents identifying as ‘no-religion’. The exponential rise in non-religious residents can be attributed to secularisation, defined as the belief that religion should not be integrated into the public affairs of society. No single belief system dominates in Australia like it once did in early 20th century. The rise of pluralism in Australia is a factor contributing to secularisation in Australia which in turn is decreasing people attending religious services and residents ticking the ‘no religion’ census box. There is an inversely proportional relationship between population and religious adherents. The rise of immigration is a result of the abolishment of the White Australia Policy, the ‘populate or perish’ phrase and an influx of migrants fleeing war torn countries such as the Vietnamese. Although the Australian population has increased over three fold from 1947 to 2016, the total Christian population has declined from 88% to 52.1%. Cultural integration has changed Australia's perspectives on religious identity, thus increasing the likelihood of residents identifying as non-religious.
In the case of the first sample, the question had a mark value of 5.

Sample 2 said:
Changes within religion throughout the course of history account for the present religious landscape in Australia and are apparent in the stimulus above, indicating rises in secularism and denominational switching.

The rise of secularism has led to both a drop in the numbers of people regularly attending religious services, along with the significant increase in the "No Religion" category. The increasing tendency of Australians stating that they have ‘no religion’ in each national census, provides a clear view of the extent to which secularism has influenced the current religious landscape of Australia. The number of residents identifying themselves as having ‘no religion’ increased from 0.3% in the 1947 census to 22.3% in the 2011 census. Further, the census states that answering the question on religious affiliation is voluntary; this accounts for the relatively large 11.1% in 1901, in the "Not stated/Inadequately described" category. Therefore, to a strong extent, secularism can be seen as playing a major role in the changing patterns of religious landscape in Australia.

The effect of modern culture and its changing values, morals and attitudes on the religious landscape of Australia is also made evident in the constant inflow and outflow of denominational switching within the Christian faith. The most significant changes in affiliation are from 1947 to 2001, which is the decline in proportion of Christians - down by 20.0% - and the increase in the category of 'No Religion' - up by 15.2%. Also, the 2001 census figures record a decline of Christianity, the largest religious grouping in Australia, as a percentage of the population. Anglicans were the most dramatically affected Christian denomination, dropping from 39.0% of the Australian population in 1947 to just 20.7% in 2001. Denominational switching therefore plays a strong part in the changing patterns of the religious landscape throughout Australia
Additionally, a user previously provided tips regarding the way in which this question should be answered. Their advice was as follows:

hholbrook said:
The best way to answer this dotpoint is to identify the four main changes in the religious landscape in Australia since 1945. The main changes are:
  • Decrease in Christian adherence
  • Increase in adherence of faiths other than Christianity
  • Decrease of Anglicanism and increase of Catholicism
  • Increase of 'No religion'
Then, you should briefly outline the reasons for these changes. The reasons are:
  • Decrease in Christian adherence - abolition of White Australia Policy in 1949 saw increased immigration from non-Christian nations.
  • Increase in adherence of faiths other than Christianity - abolition of White Australia Policy in 1949 saw increased immigration from non-Christian nations (49% of immigrants in 2001 were from non-European countries) e.g. Buddhism from Asia, Islam from Middle East, Hinduism from India and Fiji. Non-Christian religions = 7.2% of all Australians
  • Decrease of Anglicanism and increase of Catholicism - denominational switching as a result of adherents's changing personal needs as they search for a congregation that expresses their faith appropriately. Anglicanism went from about 40% to under 20% of Australians between 1947 and 2011 (a 50% decrease)
  • Increase of 'No religion' - increase in secularism as you discussed, increase in acceptance of non-religious lifestyles (related to secularism), and also an increase in new age religions, as some turn to more individualistic religions, focus on personal wellbeing e.g. feng shui, tarot cards, astrology, transcendental meditation.
I would create a 150-word response, so that you can easily answer it in the final exam without spending too much time, as it is only worth 5 marks.
I hope this helps! 😄

moonsuyoung

HSC
I did not take Studies of Religion, so I cannot provide direct advice. However, I will suggest considering the mark value of the question (if applicable). The value is likely to be an indication of the level of depth required for a good-quality response. This means that, the higher the mark value, the more likely it is that a more sophisticated response is required.

Perhaps the following sample answers could provide some guidance. It is important to note that they are a few years old, meaning that the census data that they use is likely to be outdated:

In the case of the first sample, the question had a mark value of 5.

Additionally, a user previously provided tips regarding the way in which this question should be answered. Their advice was as follows:

I hope this helps! 😄
OMG TYSM! THIS HELPED SO MUCH!!! How did you get the sample answers and the dot point tips if I may ask :)))!! THANK YOUUU!!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
OMG TYSM! THIS HELPED SO MUCH!!! How did you get the sample answers and the dot point tips if I may ask :)))!! THANK YOUUU!!
No worries! Glad to know you found it helpful!

I just did a bit of research - turns out there were previous discussions of this question, including this one:

moonsuyoung

HSC
No worries! Glad to know you found it helpful!

I just did a bit of research - turns out there were previous discussions of this question, including this one:

OH FR! OH THANK YOU!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)