How difficult would a 89+ ATAR be given my meh start to year 12? (1 Viewer)

ryansboredofstudies

HSC
My start to year 12 hasn’t been horrible by any means. I’ve gotten some pretty good marks and one or two bad ones to start.

I’m currently doing Maths Standard, English Advanced, CAFS, SAC and Music 1 (10 units all together.
Last term for my first assessments I got:
English Advanced I got a B
Music 1 a C
Maths not sure yet but I’m pretty sure a B
Society and Culture an A
CAFS a B

The reason I’m giving all this information is that I’m aiming for an atar of 89+. I’m not sure what I want to put my studies towards to at the end of school, which is why I want to have a decent atar score to allow me to broaden my options and opportunities. Not in a cocky way, I’m a pretty good student. I listen in class and do most of my homework and assessments on time as well as contribute to a few discussions during certain subjects. I have a problem with studying tho, as I’ve always lacked the motivation to do it, which is probably why I’ve recently only achieved A- and Bs and Cs.

I’m just concerned that my marks for Term 1 aren’t up to scratch. I’m not sure how difficult it is to get a 90+ ATAR and was wondering if you guyscould give any help/pointers/tips to better my studies and give me an outline of how you managed to get YOUR atar. Thanks! (Also wondering what kind of marks you got throughout the year that may have had an impact on ur overall ATAR. )

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, ranks, as mentioned by @Directrix, do play a significant role. Back in year 12 I averaged only 70 for my internals in maths. However, my rank (30/140 ish) pushed my assessment mark to 83.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
My start to year 12 hasn’t been horrible by any means. I’ve gotten some pretty good marks and one or two bad ones to start.

I’m currently doing Maths Standard, English Advanced, CAFS, SAC and Music 1 (10 units all together.
Music 1 a C
Society and Culture an A
CAFS a B

The reason I’m giving all this information is that I’m aiming for an atar of 89+. I’m not sure what I want to put my studies towards to at the end of school, which is why I want to have a decent atar score to allow me to broaden my options and opportunities. Not in a cocky way, I’m a pretty good student. I listen in class and do most of my homework and assessments on time as well as contribute to a few discussions during certain subjects. I have a problem with studying tho, as I’ve always lacked the motivation to do it, which is probably why I’ve recently only achieved A- and Bs and Cs.

I’m just concerned that my marks for Term 1 aren’t up to scratch. I’m not sure how difficult it is to get a 90+ ATAR and was wondering if you guyscould give any help/pointers/tips to better my studies and give me an outline of how you managed to get YOUR atar. Thanks! (Also wondering what kind of marks you got throughout the year that may have had an impact on ur overall ATAR. )
89+ aim. weird man.
just aim for 90+. lmao.
aiming for 1 under 90 doesn't sound right.

YonOra

HSC
89+ aim. weird man.
just aim for 90+. lmao.
aiming for 1 under 90 doesn't sound right.
I agree. People rarely achieve their goals in the HSC. Set your ATAR aim high, 93 even. Surprise yourself

Time&moretime

HSC

Music 1 a C
Society and Culture an A
CAFS a B

Judging by your scores, getting an 89+ is achievable. You'll be surprise how well you'll do by merely keeping up with what you've got. Try to increase your rank for Maths & English Adv. look at it as a bonus. A small improvement should do it. Everyone feels a little demotivated at the start of the year. The annoying thing is that year 12 starts in Term 3 last year. Hard to get going after a long holiday. One of the reasons tutoring colleges often bang on about using your holiday time wisely. But enough of that, you do you. In the words of Leonard Bernstein, " To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time."

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
yeah true I’m not sure why I said 89+ — I was probably just tired as hell last night
Frick, even aim an atar of 99+, I know a lot of pressure, but still try it, like what boi said, u might surprise your self. If you want to reach beyond your existing knowledge, you may need to embrace uncertainty.

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Frick, even aim an atar of 99+, I know a lot of pressure, but still try it, like what boi said, u might surprise your self. If you want to reach beyond your existing knowledge, you may need to embrace uncertainty.
I mean 99 atar aims are pointless

why not aim for 100?

Everwinter

HSC
You also have to look at your school as well, a B in selective is not equal to a B in comprehensive public high school. Search up the honour roll for your school and check how many band 6 are there for your subject and determine your likelihood of getting it when you compare the numbers with your rank.

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
You also have to look at your school as well, a B in selective is not equal to a B in comprehensive public high school. Search up the honour roll for your school and check how many band 6 are there for your subject and determine your likelihood of getting it when you compare the numbers with your rank.
true, true.

black.mamba

HSC
off topic but do u know an asterisk personally? there are more asterisks than 99+ atars but i don't know a single one lol

or am i just in the grammar bubble lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)