How are u studying for AFTER THE BOMB ? (1 Viewer)

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Has anyone bought or been given notes for AFTER THE BOMB yet?

What 3 texts are you doing?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
as a 2013er just having finished my HSC, also did after the bomb module-the first time our school decided to do it, I did Hiroshima, Waiting for Godot and Catch-22, I am going to give some advice-there is a book called success in after the bomb which you can buy or borrow from libraries, however, keep in mind that your teacher is most likely to photocopy stuff from the book and so if you want to be ahead of other people, books and notes are not going to help you much-after the bomb, as you may have realised from a quick search on the internet or a quick skim through board of studies resources and threads-doesn't have much resources, and it was one of the main reasons I struggled initially with this module-so you have to take the initiative and start going to state library as well as searching on google scholar and google books-get previews and literary articles where you need to extract information relevant-i.e. more insights into the texts you are studying-both prescribed and related, as well as the different paradigms of the period-i.e. religious, philosophical, scientific and economic and how these are reflected, challenged or critiqued in the texts you are studying

A significant difference between English extension one and advanced English, as you might have realised by now, is that not only there is a significant emphasis on self-learning, but also that your essay is more context, less techniques-don't cram techniques into your extension English essay, because you really need to demonstrate enough knowledge of how your context is reflected in the techniques-and why they are reflected-remember, this is like a comparative study-but more intensive, remember to link your texts-prescribed and related-with core ideas, not techniques-to initiate a sophisticated discussion, and remember unless you are an expert in spy stories, don't attempt to write one-it is far too cliché and unlikely to get you much marks, you really have to be willing to spend the time to delve into the context of the era-i.e. expressions such as reds under beds, truth dollars, crusade for freedom-of course you may choose to do an apocalyptic, dystopian text-but it is very hard to show the era's context through it-particularly the anti-communist climate that swept through America at the time...make sure you reread your text-and depending on what text you are doing-you can view the movie or actual play to enhance your understanding-although they may not be 100% accurate with the text... for example, for catch-22, I literally had to read the book 3-4 times, no skipping over, it is actually a pretty long and complex book-because of its non-linearity and cast of characters which seems endless-but make the effort throughout the year to understand your text as much as possible-try to develop a love for the module not for the sake of marks, but for truly investigating into the period that way-you will find it much easier to take the self-initiative to keep going

You are most likely have to make your own notes for after the bomb, because to be geniuely honest, your personal understanding is what will differentiate you from the rest of your class.... it is not an easy module, quite depressing, but I guess since I shared a interest in understanding history, it turned out to be quite enjoyable if you are prepared to work hard, I had to write about 10 different short stories in different forms before I could come up with a short story that worked quite well for me... and that also comes from reading beyond the requirements, i.e. I read about 10 different related text-books mostly written from the era-to get a really good grasp of the language, the expressions, even though I only did 1 related book for my related text selections-if you are prepared to go that extra mile and ask for teacher's help throughout the year-you will succeed in this module even with the very limited resources available, a website which I found immensely useful is http://checkin425.edublogs.org/-it has a few articles on after the bomb will give you a good start on the basic expectations... all the best of luck for the rest of this year and I am sure you will do brilliantly if you are prepared to put in the effort-hope this helps:)

Last edited:

Benters

HSC
http://checkin425.edublogs.org-the website is just that-don't know why the 'it' also got into the hyperlink...:)
I'm a 2014 HSC student undertaking this course and I just want to thank you for your insight. I feel as if this topic is a huge step up from the advanced course and from the year 11 ext course, it really does seem to require than next level of commitment in becoming somewhat obsessed with this time period. Im currently exploring the sub cultures that formed within the time period and reading extensively into the novels that were produced. It's just great to hear that someone else has experienced the same thing and it worked out for them.
All the best

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Glad that I am helping someone:) If you need any help with the module-or you have any specific questions about after the bomb, you are welcome to pm me:) (but I have to say, the extra one unit is equal to two units worth of work-it is very very easy to overspend your time on this extra unit-because like all English subjects, because it is subjective and you often don't know the assessment question before hand, you can never be 100% prepared for it)-so yes, do devote extra time-but also consider balancing your time in your other subjects as well-particularly if you are weaker in them than in extension English-but regardless, I wish you all the best in this year-just work hard and you can achieve anything your heart sets to:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)